• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

D Day at Normandy

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

Please take a moment today to pay your respects to the ones who truly gave everything to protect those rights we love to throw around and claim as our own. They belong to the ones we have lost in the defense of our way of life. Several decades ago today, it meant something to be an American. Those men knew what that meant, and stormed the beach head so that we would be able to enjoy the same freedoms. Don't let their sacrifice fade in the light of apathy. They did more that daythanmost will ever do in their lives. God bless the armed forces, and all that they protect.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Hear! Hear!

Those men were the bravest of the brave. We owe them more than we can ever repay except to continue hold the values and rights that make America what it is.

Sadly, way too many of our younger folksknow more about Nelly than Normandy.

1st freedom

imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
In the spirit of this post, I found this moving:

D-Day soldier's dog tag found in sand after 58 years

Thanks man, I love storys like that.

Reminds me of the one about the daughter that purchesed an m1 garand from the CMP for her grandfather that spent time in Korea, He had told her how much he loved his M1 and that he had removed the buttplate and carved his initiales underneath. fourty years later when he received his M1 from CMP he was tearing it down and cleaning it when he decided to put his initials in this one also. When he removed the buttplate,,yah, they were already there.

I have know way to varify this story,,But I like to belive it's true

My father landed on those beaches in Normandy, I can't count the number of storys that I have heardand I am still amaized and humbled at those brave young men. Hero's, I would think by anyones standerds

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

When I was in the Navy on a Med cruise back in'98, we pulled into St. Raphael in the south of France and I was invited to go on a WWII historical tour. I wrote a nice article on the tour but that's for another time. We finished the tour at a military cemetery and I just thought it might be a regular cemetery, but was shocked to see it was theRhone American Cemetery in the south of France.

http://www.abmc.gov/cemeteries/cemeteries/rh.php

I'll never forget the place or the inscription above all the names of those who "still lie in unmarked graves throughout the south of France". The inscription simply read:

"We Who Rest Here Died So Future Generations May Live In Peace"