• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wildlife Management Areas

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

So I had a day off today and I decided to take a shot at some squirrel hunting up at the G. Richard Thompson WMA. First time doing any hunting so it was a novel experience to open carry a long gun even if it was in the woods.

Not having hunted before I went and did a little bit of research to make sure I'd stay legal.

First off here are the rules for WMA's. Not much of an issue but they do post a set of rules in a slightly confused manner.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/wmarules.pdf
Firearms

It is unlawful to have in possession or in a vehicle a bow or
gun which is not unloaded and cased or dismantled except
when it is lawful to take bear, deer, grouse, pheasants, quail,
rabbit, raccoon, squirrel or turkey; and additionally, migratory
game birds on Department owned lands east of the Blue
Ridge; or by permit issued by the Department; or by concealed
handgun permit issued by a Circuit Court.

It is unlawful to possess or transport a loaded gun in or on any
vehicle at any time on a WMA.

Target shooting is permitted on designated ranges only.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/publiclands.asp
Regulations Specific to National Forest and Game Department Lands It shall be unlawful to have in possession a bow or gun which is not unloaded and cased or dismantled on all National Forest lands statewide, or on Department-owned lands and on lands managed by the Department under cooperative agreement in counties west of the Blue Ridge Mountains except during the period when it is lawful to take bear, deer, grouse, pheasant, quail, rabbit, raccoon, squirrel, turkey or waterfowl on these lands; and on Department-owned lands and on lands managed by the Department under cooperative agreement in counties east of the Blue Ridge Mountains except during the period when it is lawful to take bear, deer, grouse, pheasant, quail, rabbit, raccoon, squirrel, turkey, waterfowl or migratory game birds on these lands.
Except as provided by special concealed handgun permit, it shall be unlawful to possess or transport a loaded gun in or on any vehicle at any time on National Forest lands or Department-owned lands. "Loaded gun" is defined as a firearm in which ammunition is chambered or loaded in the magazine or clip, when such magazine or clip is found engaged or partially engaged in a firearm. The definition of a loaded muzzleloading gun will include a gun which is capped or has a charged pan.
The word "possession" shall include, but not be limited to, having any bow or firearm in or on one's person, vehicle or conveyance. It is unlawful to chase with a dog or train dogs on National Forest lands or Department-owned lands except during authorized hunting, chase or training seasons that specifically permit these activities on these lands.

Then there are also the hunting regulations for Fauquier County
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/localordinances.asp?fips=Fauquier
Fauquier
  • It is unlawful to hunt from the road with firearms.
  • It is unlawful to hunt with a firearm within 100 yds. of a road.
  • It is unlawful to possess a loaded firearm on the road except when permission to hunt is obtained from landowners on each side.
  • It is unlawful to discharge a firearm from or across any sidewalk, highway or on public land.
  • It is unlawful for minors to carry firearms on public highways or public lands unless accompanied by certain adults.
  • It is unlawful to transport, possess, or carry a loaded rifle or shotgun in any vehicle on any public street, road or highway.
Anyhow I carried my Glock loaded and indifferently concealed and my M6 Scout openly and only loaded when I pretty much where I was going to hunt. Unfortunately while I did get a squirrel in my sights I lost him waiting to get a better shot. Just as well I really don't have a good squirrel recipe other than frying yet.

rebfan

imported post

I have fished in that particular WMA and likethe fact the rules allow for CC.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Re: Hunting regulations for Fauquier County "It is unlawful to possess a loaded firearm on the road except when permission to hunt is obtained from landowners on each side."

I thought that there had been a change in the state law that preempted this restriction. Am I wrong? This would mean that potentially I could be charged if driving or walking down a public road in Fauquer County if carrying openly or concealed with permit. Something seems wrong there.
Yata hey