• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anti-gun couple has a conversion

Fox

imported post

I have to agree. Psychological testing currently prohibits certain individuals from handling firearms as they may be unstable and cause real harm to others, possibly without meaning to do so. Given this situation, for a time period the couple in the story shouldn't be around firearms or they might do the same.

They're simply not mentally stable right now. Hopefully that'll change with time. The problem is how you go about testing these boundaries. I realize you can't just jump on this like it's a bandwagon or someone could start a witch hunt and declare everyone mentally incapable of safely owning a firearm. I'm not going for that. But there are reasonable limits that need to be addressed. There's a reason we keep handguns locked away from toddlers and stress safety so much.

Just my opinion.

Demarest

imported post

I guess I have a different perception of what individual liberty is. Can you imagine somebody trying to take your gun away because you were attacked? How would you feel if you found out that the people trying to take it were gun owners themselves?

They were already victimized. They've already been victimized after being victimized. They don't need to be victimized further by being ripened for the exact same thing to happen again. Least of all by the very people who should be applauding their conversion regardless of our personal opinion as to whether or not they're fit.

The moment we entertain such a notion, we are supporting ALL gun control. We all know that gun control is racist in nature and is historically just a way for one class to pretend they are capable of choosing who is fit to be armed and who isn't. Look at the Virginia Tech shooting. They turned around and passed legislation to broaden the definition of mental weapons disability. Now they're talking about legislation that would prevent you from owning a gun if you previously were said to have ADHD. This is what they do. They know they can't take our guns, so they redraw the lines so that fewer and fewer have them. Until one day, there's more of them then there are of us and they can swoop in and liberty is dead. WE are part of that process the moment we stand up and pretend that we can say that any free man is unfit to be armed for ANY reason.

Again, this is THEIR decision to make. If they make the wrong one and infringe upon somebody else's rights in the process, they will suffer the consequences. This is as it should be and indeed, the best we could hope for. If we're not punished for abusing our rights until we actually abuse them, that means we can fully enjoy those rights for as long as we don't. FULLY. As in no background checks, no waiting periods... Or simply put: "...shall not be infringed."

gsh341

imported post

Demarest wrote:
Again, this is THEIR decision to make. If they make the wrong one and infringe upon somebody else's rights in the process, they will suffer the consequences. This is as it should be and indeed, the best we could hope for. If we're not punished for abusing our rights until we actually abuse them, that means we can fully enjoy those rights for as long as we don't. FULLY. As in no background checks, no waiting periods... Or simply put: "...shall not be infringed."

I agree this is their decision to make. I never said that "we" should take their guns away. I meant what I said in the manner of someone falling asleep should not be driving until they have rested. Tired drivers have killed themselves or others and this situation isn't all that different. This is a decision they need to make, but not having guns at this time should be suggested by those close to them or otherwise involved.

If they were thinking clearly (and they aren't at the moment) they would realize this for themselves.

nauss

imported post

Another reporter using "clip" in place of correct terminology i.e. magazine.

Sorry, I know that was anal of me. His being German too. I guess their country is not as gun-loving as the good old USA! :celebrateYES YES YES

Goes to show why I carry my Beretta 21A .22 LR (don't laugh) in my pocket at all times. Day and night. My H&K USP 45 at night or traveling (winter as well....more layers....less "gun printing") There, I'm having to worry about people calling the cops on a "man with a gun" again.

Ain't our country grand these days?:banghead::cuss:

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

nauss wrote:
Another reporter using "clip" in place of correct terminology i.e. magazine.

Sorry, I know that was anal of me. His being German too. I guess their country is not as gun-loving as the good old USA! :celebrateYES YES YES

Goes to show why I carry my Beretta 21A .22 LR (don't laugh) in my pocket at all times. Day and night. My H&K USP 45 at night or traveling (winter as well....more layers....less "gun printing")
You only carry a .22 most/a lotof the time?