• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

rifle open carry

kblazk

imported post

Can I ridea bicycle and open carry a a loaded rifle in ohio??? The definitions of 2923.16 "motor vehicle carry" say that a motor vehicle is anything draw by power other than muscular power. I would say that the amish and their buggies are not considered motor vehicle either.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

kblazk wrote:
Can I ridea bicycle and open carry a a loaded rifle in ohio??? If so I'm gonn grab my Smith & Wesson M&P15 sling it over my shoulder and hop on my bike and start riding around town. I think I will go to Mcdonalds first and then to Wal-Mart, then I'll go to the mall, then I'll finish by going to the park, what do you all think?

See this thread:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/1808-1.html

There is a guythere who was considering being a "test case" doing about the same thing that you are proposing. You might glean some insight from someof the comments made in that thread. Might be useful even if that "test case" was for a different state, Virginia.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

The problem is, even if it IS legal, being the first to do so will probably get lots of "man with a gun" calls from people to the police, police attention if they see you out and about armed like that and stops by police to check you out. Hopefully nothing worse.

If more people would do these things, however, it would become a non-issue...but it's unlikely more people WOULD so things won't change much. Even in Gold Star OC states, not very many people wear a handgun on their belts so "the sheep" aren't any more aware of OC being allowed in their state than "the sheep" in other states that don't allow it.

That's one big reason to get people to OC: SomeoneCC-ing isn't noticed by the public even though "the sheep" have people carrying guns in their midst. If "the sheep" saw more people OC-ing, then they'd probably become desenitized to the issue...like they are to other social issues, seeing them constantly on TV news/talk shows, etc., and being slowly but surely indoctrinated to accept them.

-- John D.

kblazk

imported post

Or better yet have one of these haning around my neck.
AZ9-C15P21S.jpg

kurtmax_0

imported post

I've been thinking of carrying a rifle. Right now just for my morning runs. I could use the extra weight anyways :)

My guess is, that if you were to carry into a more populated area, even if legal, you would very likely be arrested. Most likely charges would be dropped or easily fought against in court, but that still costs money.

Worst case is somebody shoots you. That's what I would be worried about. Some cockey hero guy with a gun (most likely an LEO, but maybe even a CCWer) would be like "ZOMG!!! KID WITH A GUN ZOMG ZOMG" *pow pow*.....

kblazk

imported post

well the reason I want to carry my AR is because I am not 21 (not for 3 months) and therefore have no other way to purchase a handgun and so the only way I have to defend myself is carry my rifle.

kurtmax_0

imported post

Yeah. I'm 19 here. I'm legally able to get a pistol permit, but am still talking with the Sheriff's department atm about getting one.

I can legally carry a pistol unconcealed on public property, and not in a vehicle. This practically prevents me from open carrying. The pistol permit allows you to carry in a vehicle and concealed, but still doesn't allow carry on private property. So, technically, all the permit holders carrying into wal-mart in this state are violating the law.... it's really weird.

My only other choice is to carry a rifle or shotgun. This can legally be carried loaded in a vehicle, and there are no state laws preventing this. Only problem is: I can't find out what the local law regarding this is, as there is only preemption on handgun laws, not other firearms.

In short, don't carry a rifle or shotgun to educate people or get a reaction. That's very immature. If you do decide to carry, do it for the right reasons. Also, remember that a slinged rifle won't do you much good in a split-second encounter. A pistol is really the ideal solution, but you gotta do what you can while still being legal....

Now, a pistol and a rifle. That would be ideal ;)

kblazk

imported post

In ohio it is illegal to furnish a pistol to somone under 21 unless it is for hunting, sporting, or educational purposes. I would love to carry my AR slung over my shoulder but I'm shure that I woulgd get charged with an enducing panic, hell i bought a Mini-14 yesterday at the local gun shop (there was a car show going on downtown, 1 block away) and i was walking from the gun shop to my truck and I was getting some weird looks and someone even yelled "he's got a gun!"

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

kblazk wrote:
In ohio it is illegal to furnish a pistol to somone under 21 unless it is for hunting, sporting, or educational purposes. I would love to carry my AR slung over my shoulder but I'm shure that I woulgd get charged with an enducing panic, hell i bought a Mini-14 yesterday at the local gun shop (there was a car show going on downtown, 1 block away) and i was walking from the gun shop to my truck and I was getting some weird looks and someone even yelled "he's got a gun!"
In Ohio it's not unlawful for a eprson 18-20 to open carry a handgun. Once you have your handgun, you can OC.

kurtmax_0

imported post

A mini-14? That's probably the least "evil" looking rifle ever. I guess one was used to kill a few FBI agents several decades ago or something... dunno.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

kblazk wrote:
...hell i bought a Mini-14 yesterday at the local gun shop (there was a car show going on downtown, 1 block away) and i was walking from the gun shop to my truck and I was getting some weird looks and someone even yelled "he's got a gun!"
Well, you are a "he" and you did have a "gun"...

Doesn't seem like there is anything wrong with someone saying "he's got a gun."

cato

imported post

"GIVE UP MY RIFLE....NEVER! I'M BLOND NOT STUPID...WELL..."

Attachments

• 32907898vp0.jpg
    32907898vp0.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 338

mattjohnston87

imported post

HankT wrote:
kblazk wrote:
...hell i bought a Mini-14 yesterday at the local gun shop (there was a car show going on downtown, 1 block away) and i was walking from the gun shop to my truck and I was getting some weird looks and someone even yelled "he's got a gun!"

Saying, and yelling, are 2 different things, Hank.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

mattjohnston87 wrote:
HankT wrote:
kblazk wrote:

Saying, and yelling, are 2 different things, Hank.

Of course it's different. But there still shouldn't be any problem with it. People have a right to walk down the street with a rifle. People have a right to yell "He's got a gun."

People have a right to say (yell) things, especially if they're true. (Except for "Fire!" in a theater...)

kurtmax_0

imported post

Well, if there is a fire in the theatre....

The main reason I wouldn't want to carry a rifle in public is, like I said before, not random people running in circles screaming "ZOMG HE HAS A GUN ZOMG!!!~~~11111~!", but the people that carry weapons.....

Too many people that carry pistols have this "hero" mentality. I don't. People ask me, "Why do you think you need to protect people?" I say: "I don't, I only protect myself, if I can escape a situation alive without drawing my weapon I'll do that, even if I could possibly save other people from getting killed..."

Yeah it's selfish, but it's also realistic. I'm not busting my ass to save some random stranger if I can get away myself...

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
Too many people that carry pistols have this "hero" mentality. I don't. People ask me, "Why do you think you need to protect people?" I say: "I don't, I only protect myself, if I can escape a situation alive without drawing my weapon I'll do that, even if I could possibly save other people from getting killed..."

Yeah it's selfish, but it's also realistic. I'm not busting my ass to save some random stranger if I can get away myself...

I generally agree with most of what you say here except there are situations where I'm prepared and willing to protect some others.

But I appreciate the avoidance of the gun-first mentality in your philosophy.

kurtmax_0

imported post

Well, there are some situations that I would protect others. Friends or family perhaps. And maybe, just maybe, if I got a drop on a gunman or something like that. Dunno... wouldn't want to risk the liability. Can't get in trouble for doing nothing.....

kblazk

imported post

Mike wrote:
In Ohio it's not unlawful for a eprson 18-20 to open carry a handgun. Once you have your handgun, you can OC.

Well thats what I thought at first until I sat down and read the law, it states that you can only furnish a handgun to someone under 21 for lawfull hunting, sporting, or educational purposes. And while OC'ing I would consider that self-defense and that "technically" is not stated, UNLESS you are OCing and say you are doing it for "educational" purposes to "educate" the sheep that is is legal to OC. But I am not sure I want to risk it yet.

Anyways, I OC'ed my AR-15 today, I sat it on the passenger seat and drove through the drivethrough at Wendy's, bolt open, no ammo in truck at all, I just wanted to play it really safe. The law saws it has to be in plain sight anyways and I figured if i had it on the back seat they would say the window tint was concealing it, (only back windows are tinted, not front.) I got some really weird looks from about 4 people inside the drive-though window though, I felt reall weird too. I already figured that If they called the cops on me and tried to make a big deal about it I would just tell them I was out hunting (which I was) just before I went to Wendy's.