• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

rifle open carry

kblazk

imported post

HankT wrote:
Saying, and yelling, are 2 different things, Hank.

Of course it's different. But there still shouldn't be any problem with it. People have a right to walk down the street with a rifle. People have a right to yell "He's got a gun."

People have a right to say (yell) things, especially if they're true. (Except for "Fire!" in a theater...)
Well the way I figured it, if the guy yelled it and caused a panic, he would be the one guilty of enducing a panic, not me, since I actually had a legitimate reason to be walking down the sidewalk with it because I just bought it. I think it was a kid just being stupid anyway's, but still...

kblazk

imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
Yeah it's selfish, but it's also realistic. I'm not busting my ass to save some random stranger if I can get away myself...
What if it was a situation like Viginia Tech and you could stop a mass murder???

kblazk

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
so the only way I have to defend myself is carry my rifle.

bolt open, no ammo in truck at all,

So you plan to defend your life with your rifle by beating someone with it??

I was using it as a "crime-detterent"

Also state law says the bolt has to be open unless it is in a gun rack, AND state law says the magazine has to be in a separate compartment from the gun, magazine in the bed is fine.

This was the best way I could OC given the laws.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

kblazk,

You might want to do what I will be doingas soon asI can: Move to a Gold Star state...i.e., get out of Ohio. Enough of assorted petty states restricting one's ability to exercise his/her RIGHT of self defensebecause ofall kinds of conflicting/arbitrary state/municipality laws and ordinances. A right incumbered/delayed/infringed upon is a right denied.

If we couldmake several contiguous states Gold Star states, we could all move there and then secede from the Union...and take care of other problem issues, too.:)

-- John D.

kblazk

imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
kblazk,

You might want to do what I will be doingas soon asI can: Move to a Gold Star state...i.e., get out of Ohio. Enough of assorted petty states restricting one's ability to exercise his/her RIGHT of self defensebecause ofall kinds of conflicting/arbitrary state/municipality laws and ordinances. A right incumbered/delayed/infringed upon is a right denied.

If we couldmake several contiguous states Gold Star states, we could all move there and then secede from the Union...and take care of other problem issues, too.:)

-- John D.
I am thinking of KY. PLus, and they already tried to secede once.

kurtmax_0

imported post

kblazk wrote:
kurtmax_0 wrote:
Yeah it's selfish, but it's also realistic. I'm not busting my ass to save some random stranger if I can get away myself...
What if it was a situation like Viginia Tech and you could stop a mass murder???
No difference. I know lots of back ways out of buildings and stuff on my campus too, or at least really good hiding places. I could probably sneak out or hide easily....

Plus, I'm not allowed to carry on campus. I would get expelled. I can't really sneak either, since going every day, I would likely accidently print or something sooner or later. (I don't have my pistol permit yet either: that's a whole 'nother story, but I'm not going to talk about it till the whole thing is finished...) The reason I wouldn't protect most people, is that it is their responsibility to protect themselves. If they can carry legally but choose not to, than they have made the decision to be defenseless.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

"The reason I wouldn't protect most people, is that it is their responsibility to protect themselves. If they can carry legally but choose not to, than they have made the decision to be defenseless." -- kurtmax_0

I agree.

I used to think thatbecause Icarry, I wouldalso protect those who don't, but then it finally occured to me...WTH should I do that? Since those peoplechose not to -- they don't see any need for it while, at the same time, they also regularly vote for liberal anti-gun politicians and legislation -- let them fend for themselves. And they will find out they can't.

That would improve the gene pool eventually since most of them would have to learn the hard way that they SHOULD have armed themselves...

-- John D.

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
I used to think thatbecause Icarry, I wouldalso protect those who don't, but then it finally occured to me...WTH should I do that? Since those peoplechose not to -- they don't see any need for it while, at the same time, they also regularly vote for liberal anti-gun politicians and legislation -- let them fend for themselves. And they will find out they can't.

That would improve the gene pool eventually since most of them would have to learn the hard way that they SHOULD have armed themselves...

-- John D.
While I follow your logic, it is my belief that if you have the means to help someone, and don't, I question your morality.

kurtmax_0

imported post

Well. I don't think it's a clear-cut issue. If I were to come across a shooter while I was escaping, even if he didn't notice me and was gunning down people, yeah, I would shoot back to stop him. But I wouldn't go searching for the shooter or something.

But I probably wouldn't come across him, because I would be running away from gunshot sounds :p

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

You might be surprised what you might do when people around you start dropping, and the acrid smell of gunfire hits you nostrils. Either the elephant will loom large and win the day, or you will take control of the situation, and in saving yourself, save many others. Heros rarely seek heroic acts, but rather have them thrust upon them by circumstances. A hero is an ordinary man, under extraordinary circumstances, who acts when others do not or cannot.

There is an old adage of battle that men fight for their country, but they die defending their friends.

Regards

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
Well. I don't think it's a clear-cut issue. If I were to come across a shooter while I was escaping, even if he didn't notice me and was gunning down people, yeah, I would shoot back to stop him. But I wouldn't go searching for the shooter or something.
There areseveral reasonable approaches to take in such a situation, depending on your strategy, competence, mission and awareness. Think it through ahead of time as best you can and act swiftly with whatever plan or approach you have come up with. For whatever goals you have decided upon.

You can always find someone who will question your morality, intelligence, manhood, etc., for your choice. But they become irrelevant if you do the right and ethical thing.

kurtmax_0 wrote:
But I probably wouldn't come across him, because I would be running away from gunshot sounds :p
Escape is almost always a good strategy. :dude:

The best short statement about thisI've ever read is:

If attacked, escape. If cornered, kill.