• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Brady campaign fact sheet

tarzan1888

imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
http://www.bradycampaign.org/facts/factsheets/pdf/firearm_facts.pdf

I'll give you a hint... one involves age, another involves choice of weapons. There are more, but this is the start.

A better title is the Brady Lie sheet.

First: The 2004 data is only preliminary and the data that they discuss is not released.

Second: In the 2003 data, http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr54/nvsr54_13.pdf on page 33 you will find the information you need.

Third: In the 2004 preliminary data most areas show a slight decrease over 2003 so the 2003 data is good to use.

Fourth: The preliminary 2004 data that is available does not agree with any of the data they use.

Fifth : There is no break in the data to get the figures that they use. The age breaks are under 1 year, 1-4 years, 5-14 years and 15-24 years.

Sixth: They say about 8 children under 19 years of age are killed every day by a gun. They would have to make up that data as it does not exist. It is true that during 2003 365 children 14 and under were killed by someone using a firearm, which is very sad, but that is far less than 8 per day.

Lie after Lie after Lie, but when you open a box of snakes, you know what you will find. :cuss:

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

In what situation would one consider a 19y/o a child? At this age, I've seen men decorated several times over in the US Army. Where I come from, 18 is the age a boy becomes an adult in every sense of the word. How about the fact that in the countries where gun bans have been implemeted, gun murders have seemingly been reduced, while white weapon violence has increased?

tarzan1888

imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
In what situation would one consider a 19y/o a child? At this age, I've seen men decorated several times over in the US Army. Where I come from, 18 is the age a boy becomes an adult in every sense of the word. How about the fact that in the countries where gun bans have been implemeted, gun murders have seemingly been reduced, while white weapon violence has increased?

That is why the government data breaks at 15 and not 19.

15 year olds' have started to do adult things. They join gangs, they rob stores, and on and on and on. The 15-24 age group is the age of gangs and they will robe you and kill you dead. They are one of the most violent groups out there. They aren't kids.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

.40 Cal wrote:

18 is only the "legal age of majority" and has NOTHING to do with being an adult, just legal responsibility for yourself (in most cases).

I think that being an "adult" is a state of maturity, of development both socially and mentally. If a 19 year old is dependant upon others for food, shelter, income, etc. and cannot make responsible decisions for themself (for whatever reason), then I wouldsay that qualifies as a child. Not in a strictly negative sense either, as there are many other reasons for that situation.

possumboy

imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
A better title is the Brady Lie sheet.

First: The 2004 data is only preliminary and the data that they discuss is not released.

Second: In the 2003 data, http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr54/nvsr54_13.pdf on page 33 you will find the information you need.

Third: In the 2004 preliminary data most areas show a slight decrease over 2003 so the 2003 data is good to use.

Fourth: The preliminary 2004 data that is available does not agree with any of the data they use.

Fifth : There is no break in the data to get the figures that they use. The age breaks are under 1 year, 1-4 years, 5-14 years and 15-24 years.

Sixth: They say about 8 children under 19 years of age are killed every day by a gun. They would have to make up that data as it does not exist. It is true that during 2003 365 children 14 and under were killed by someone using a firearm, which is very sad, but that is far less than 8 per day.

Lie after Lie after Lie, but when you open a box of snakes, you know what you will find. :cuss:

Isn't there a way to run the data that show accidents over deaths while in commision of a crime? I remember looking at this, and if you exclude the deaths related to suicide and during "police or gang" activities, you reduce the number greatly. Anyone else remember these points?

I will look for this when I have a little free time.

Also, I always think it is funny the way they play with the words. "GUN" violence as gone down in XXX country. Sure, but violent crime has risen since the gun bans took place. Gun bans also did not reduce then number of suicides. All that can be correlated from the same data. Reminds me of one of my college books:

51HRGNPNEYL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

Semantics versus psychology, Bob. I agree with what you are saying. At the same time, you have to agree that when you hear about child deaths due to gun accidents you are not thinking of the 19 y/o who has already done time for multiple lesser offenses. I have seen 15 y/o kids in court for armed robbery, and one 18 y/o in court for murder.

tattedupboy

imported post

The part thataboutthe presence ofa gun in the home increasing the probability of suicide fivefold was particularly hilarious. It's like saying that the presence of a pencil increases a person's probability of making spelling, grammatical, and punctuation mistakes. Utterly ridiculous.

What the antis don't realize that if a person is suicidal, removing all firearms from the homewill not magically eliminatewhatever is making the person want to kill themselves in the first place. Psychological treatment, whether there are firearms in the home or not, is the only thing that can do that.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

.40 Cal wrote:

I'll give you a hint... one involves age, another involves choice of weapons. There are more, but this is the start.

I'm bothered as well with statistics that don't show the number of times firearms prevent crimes BUT AREN'T FIRED.

Or how many times firearms are used in commission of other crimes - robbery, rape, kidnapping, etc. - but aren't fired.

I, frankly, don't carry just so someone doesn't kill me.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

why is it that they never mention the thousands that die in other parts of the world due to gun violence? Why don't they mention Switzerland, where it's almost illegal not to have a gun in the house? Why don't they manetion any number of countries where gun violence, true gun violence where it is a kill or be killed society (like so many in Africa), claims more children and is perpetrated by more children than in this country? How many of our friends have come back home with stories of having to defend themselves from adolescents with Kalashnikovs? Give me a F...n' break!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
SNIP...Why don't they mention Switzerland, where it's almost illegal not to have a gun in the house? Why don't they...
Because its their PR spin. Primarily useful to us as a tool to motivate 2A fence-sitters and so forth into action.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

.40 Cal wrote:

Makes me think of:

Code:
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="3"]"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
pick   themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened."
--- Winston Churchill[/size][/font]

KellyJ

imported post

.40 Cal wrote:

This is just a simple observation, but to the best of my knowledge there has never been a documented case where a gun killed anyone, yet it is the common usage of the crimes and other things gun related are stating.

Common since does not apply to anything that refers to the negative assessment of any news story, especially if it relates to a crime involving a shooting it is common practice at least here locally where an hunting accident happened no fatality but the story is being reported with the presence of a Simi automatic pistol on the screen while the report is being aired.

All of the anti groups are as you all know absolutely paranoid, and reason is not part of them or their agenda, they can only present these sort of facts sheets to make themselves feel better but in fact Doctors kill more people than people using guns do through negligence every year but you don't hear any outcry about that simple fact do you?