• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia Chapter e-Postal Pistol Match (2nd Quarter)

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

If no one else wants to host one, I will.

I have to admit to no interest in the standard bulls-eye target at 25 yards, but the novelty targets at different ranges intrigue me.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tess wrote:
If no one else wants to host one, I will.

I have to admit to no interest in the standard bulls-eye target at 25 yards, but the novelty targets at different ranges intrigue me.

I agree. The majority of the people on this board carry for defensive purposes. 25yds is well beyond our normal engagement range...

kle

imported post

well I do like seeing just what I can hit (and how well I can hit it) at long ranges with a pistol, but everyone's probably right--this kind of thing probably doesn't have much place in a defense-oriented community such as OCDO. Thus, I'm content with going out on top (of this format, at least) :p

Maybe we could change the format to silhouettes at 10 yards, and have it be timed...10 seconds? A full magazine or a full cylinder, # of shots not to exceed 10 rounds with no reload. That should ensure rapid-fire shooting.

The scores would be out of 100, with weighted scores for guns whose max capacity without a reload is < 10 shots (like revolvers and single-stack semi-autos). Guns which can fire 10 or more shots without a reload would not get a weighted-score (or you could say the shot-weight would be 1.00).

Something like:

# of shots:
6 shots (standard-capacity revolver, .38spl)
shot-weight = (100/# of shots)/10:
score on paper:
9, 8, 8, 6, 9, 10 (pretty accurate, one flyer)
total score on paper (add up all scores on paper):
total weighted score (total score on paper * shot-weight):
83.335 pts

Misses would be worth 1-paper-point each (i.e. 1*shot-weight points each), hits on-paper but outside of the silhouette would be worth 5 points, hits in the silhouette but outside the rings would be worth 6 points. Hits touching/breaking a ring/the silhouette would be worth the higher paper-point value.

This would level the playing field somewhat between all the different flavors of defensive handguns...plus, in a SD situation against one static opponent (like the silhouette) 10 shots would be plenty.

Target-size? What's the difference between a B-34 and B-29 silhouette?

How challenging would something like this be?

kle

imported post

hmm...it might be a good waste of ammo, and it might mean it would have to be done with cheaper ammo (i.e. 9mm and .22LR). I can imagine it would get expensive for people shooting the more powerful stuff (like .40S&W, .45ACP, .357SIG, .357 Magnum, and even .38 Special).

Maybe then it should be limited to a max of 5 shots (which should cover just about everything except for the little 2-shot derringers) in 10 seconds at 10 yards, and max score out of 50 (or 100, with a shot-weight of 2.00, which is functionally the same).

kle

imported post

and without any caliber restrictions it would favor the lighter rounds (i.e. .22LR). And I assume I mean pistols, because using a rifle that close would be too easy :p (although I've never actually shot a rifle...hmm...)

kle

imported post

hmm. Any shots (out of 10 or 5, whichever) not fired will count as misses, thus only count for 1 paper-point apiece.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

kle, I had in mind something like the earlier postal matches I particpated in .

www.targets.com/fun01.htm:
At 10 yds, hit all the stripes and none of the solids (or vice versa), then the 8.

We've shot the gnomes, and the slot machines, etc. I've shot the balloons for fun - not for a postal match.

The problem with timed shots in this kind of format is it takes a second person to do the timing.

The problem with these targets is not everyone has access and wants to print them - and some don't like the 8-1/2 x 11 format. I don't feel comfortable making an "equivalent" determination.

Let me know if you want to set one up as you're pondering here, and I'll hold off and take one another time.

kle

imported post

the timed idea was to ensure rapid-fire. But the whole thing will basically be on one's honor that they stood 10 yards from the target, put 5 rounds through it, and did it rapid-fire. Maybe the timed idea can be done away-with and just have it be rapid-fire only (on one's honor, as with everything else).

Why couldn't we run both matches simultaneously? They work on different skills, after all--the more-defensive one I'm proposing would be rapid-fire shooting at defensive distances (10 yards with a B29/B34 target simulates 20 yards, so maybe it should be moved closer, like 7 yards or something). Your fun-targetz would probably be untimed-fire shooting at more interesting distances...

kle

imported post

I'm gonna do some more own-horn-tooting: if we were still doing this and using the old rules (i.e. Glock FAQ targets), I would've kicked even my own butt!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kent_le/2191674564/ --
2191674564_2889a3e112.jpg

96 points (or 95, depending on whether or not that one shot counts as 10 or 9 points) today with my just-traded-for Ruger Mk. II. I think I've found my newest, bestest target pistol =)

Tess, when're you gonna do the next thing? I wanna play!