• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No "Good Guys" with Guns allowed on San Fran Campus

cato

imported post

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...cal&id=5376569

Jun. 7 - KGO - The police chief at City College of San Francisco has resigned over a question of security. He wanted his officers to be able to carry guns on campus, especially in light of a recent incident, but he was overruled.

In late April, 52-year-old Peter Lee rushed into a classroom in the science building, dressed in camouflage. Students say he threatened to kill everyone. But campus police had to wait until S.F.P.D. arrived before they could respond. That's because campus cops don't carry guns -- only pepper spray and batons.

Fortunately, Lee was not armed either and they arrested him without incident.

Since last year, City College Police Chief Carl Koehler has been lobbying the administration to allow his officers to carry guns.

Carl Koehler, CCSF Police Chief: "In this day and age, there are guns on campus, but the police don't have them."

The carnage at Virginia Tech convinced Chief Koehler even more that his officers need to be armed. But he was fighting a 70-year-old college policy prohibiting its officers from carrying guns.

In the end, Chief Koehler lost. He resigned this week.

He said in an e-mail to his officers, "the reasons are many, but mainly evolve around my proposal to arm the district police officers."

Peter Goldstein, CCSF Vice Chancellor: "The police force does not carry weapons... I guess he felt that ultimately didn't fit in with his vision of where the department should be."

Koehler was unavailable for comment. His officers declined to talk on camera. Privately, they told us they're angry and frustrated. But the administration has no intention of changing policy.

ABC7's Vic Lee: "So it's a dead issue?"

Peter Goldstein: "At this point, I'd say unless the board of trustees wishes to consider it, it's not an issue for the college."

So, City College police will continue patrolling this campus unarmed, protected only by their bulletproof vests.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Wow, I went to Purdue West Lafayette, they carried all of the above and the officers were armed, as well as they all carried a taser gun on the other hip as well.

Not saying I felt safer than I do now, but they were well prepared.

I hope the school reconsiders this issue, though unfortunately it will probably take a tragedy to get some action on the schools part, it is horrible when these things cannot happen until it is too late.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Peter Goldstein, CCSF Vice Chancellor: "The police force does not carry weapons... I guess he felt that ultimately didn't fit in with his vision of where the department should be."
Doesn't fit in with common-sense or reality, either.

Got to give the chief high marks for sticking with his principles.

Well done, Chief Koehler!

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

OK, then. If they won't allow STUDENTS to carry on campus, but state laws will allow NON students to carry within the state laws, what's to prevent armed citizens from organizing and conducting patrols on campus?

You know, a group of legally armed citizens to protect the students.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

BobCav wrote:
OK, then. If they won't allow STUDENTS to carry on campus, but state laws will allow NON students to carry within the state laws, what's to prevent armed citizens from organizing and conducting patrols on campus?

Well-

To begin with, if they wanted to carry on campus they would be subject to any of the regulations that the campus has set forth reguarding the carrying of firearms. If the non-student did not comply with orders of the campus agents they could be prosecuted for tresspassing (PC602)

Second, if they wanted to be openly armed, they would need to be more than a 1000ft from a K-12 school (PC626.9) andcarry an unloaded weapon if the campus is in incorporated city limits(PC12031). They also couldnt carry in a 'public building' or at a meeting required to be open to the public (PC171b) unless they were licensed.

Or they could carry a loaded concealedweapon with alicense (PC12025,12050)- but unless they got their CCW license outside of San Fransisco County they would be sh*t out of luck as there are only 10 issued CCW licenses in the entire county.

Welcome to my world.:cry:

Tomahawk

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
BobCav wrote:

Well-

To begin with, if they wanted to carry on campus they would be subject to any of the regulations that the campus has set forth reguarding the carrying of firearms. If the non-student did not comply with orders of the campus agents they could be prosecuted for tresspassing (PC602)

Second, if they wanted to be openly armed, they would need to be more than a 1000ft from a K-12 school (PC626.9) andcarry an unloaded weapon if the campus is in incorporated city limits (PC12031). They also couldnt carry in a 'public building' or at a meeting required to be open to the public (PC171b) unless they were licensed.

Or they could carry a loaded concealedweapon with alicense (PC12025,12050)- but unless they got their CCW license outside of San Fransisco County they would be sh*t out of luck as there are only 10 issued CCW licenses in the entire county.

Welcome to my world.:cry:
If officers can't carry guns, how could any of the anti-gun laws rules be enforced? What're they gonna do, wave a global-warming pamphlet at you? :cool:

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:

If officers can't carry guns, how could any of the anti-gun laws rules be enforced? What're they gonna do, wave a global-warming pamphlet at you? :cool:

Not to be captain obvious, but i'm sure that the county sheriffs are only a radio call away and you'd be very likely to see a heavy response to 'gang with guns' call.

Tomahawk

imported post

DKSuddeth wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

Not to be captain obvious, but i'm sure that the county sheriffs are only a radio call away and you'd be very likely to see a heavy response to 'gang with guns' call.
Not to be Captain Obvious, either, but it was a joke to point out the follishness of gun control...

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
DKSuddeth wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

Not to be Captain Obvious, either, but it was a joke to point out the follishness of gun control...

Foolishness too. :celebrate

And if we want to be Captain 'Technical', it would be city police doing the dressdown of the 'gang with guns'...

cato

imported post

DKSuddeth wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

http://www.ktvu.com/news/13042259/detail.html?rss=fran&psp=news

CCSF Student Arrested After Threatening Rant

POSTED: 7:07 pm PDT April 24, 2007

SAN FRANCISCO -- [/b]A San Francisco City College student arrested Tuesday morning after allegedly ranting about killing his classmates was identified by the school's chancellor as 53-year-old Peter Lee.

Lee, a San Francisco resident, was arrested for making terrorist threats, said Dr. Phil Day, chancellor of City College. The incident took place in Lee's physics class, he said.

The disturbance was reported at 9:01 a.m., San Francisco Community College District Police Chief Carl Koehler said.

Lee, who was dressed in camouflage gear, "was screaming that he was going to kill everybody," Koehler said.

The confrontation moved from the classroom to the hallway and back to the classroom again, Koehler said. Nobody was hurt in the incident.

Campus police, who are unarmed, responded immediately and alerted San Francisco police.

"Students were sheltered in place on the floors below. We had officers with them waiting for the San Francisco Police Department to respond," Koehler said.

San Francisco police arrived four or five minutes later and took Lee into custody. A weapon was not found, Kohler said.

Campus police successfully followed their training for dealing with a gunman on campus, Kohler said.

"It's obviously been on everyone's radar," since the shootings at Virginia Tech, he said.

While campus police had never heard of Lee, Day said that following today's incident, students and teachers told investigators that Lee had acted strangely in the past.

"There had been some observations made by students and faculty that he seemed to have periodically exhibited some strange behavior. Not disruptive, just strange," Day said.

Day said that although nobody alerted school officials to Lee's behavior before this morning, both students and faculty have been sharing their concerns more frequently since the April 16 shootings at Virginia Tech.

"Since Virginia Tech, a number of faculty members have been a lot more forward with telling us who their problem students are," he said.

Those students are referred to the dean in the office of student rights and responsibilities, Day said.

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

Foolishness too. :celebrate

And if we want to be Captain 'Technical', it would be city police doing the dressdown of the 'gang with guns'...
gotcha, thats what i get for posting at work.