• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Race for Sheriff, Prince William County

vrwmiller

imported post

In the VCDL alerts, there was only a slight mention of a VCDL endorsed candidate for Prince William County Sheriff, Jim Fotis. I found out that Fotis is at a disadvantage during the open primary on Tuesday because he entered the race late. Therefore, he does not have the exposure and recognition that the remaining two candidates have. In an attempt to raise awareness of this relative unknown candidate, I thought I would post information here for Prince William County, Manassas City, and Manassas Park to review.

All three candidates for the office are Republican, but I've done a couple hours of research on Mr. Fotis and found some compelling information I thought I would share here in hopes of increasing his exposure amongst pro-rights minded individuals.

Jim Fotis is a retired New York City police officer. He is also the Executive Director of the LEAA (Law Enforcement Alliance of America), which is based right here in VA (Springfield to be exact). LEAA is an organization for the expansion of the right to self-defense, not only where off-duty, retired, or former LEO are involved, but with the private citizen as well.

Found this on the LEAA web site:

Does LEAA support civilian Right-To-Carry?

Absolutely! Part of LEAA's core mission is telling the truth from the law enforcement perspective, that gun control is NOT crime control. A simple but not well-known corollary is that honest civilians with firearms are no threat to law enforcement, they are a threat and deterrent to violent crime.

LEAA has a long (10 year+) very active history in supporting civilian right-to-carry. In fact, LEAA has actively supported passage of right to carry in nearly every single state that has adopted RTC reform in the past decade.
Mr. Fotis is also a member of "Help Save Manassas", which is a recently formed chapter of the HelpSaveVirginia network. This organization is dedicated to helping preserve our communities and protect them from the effects related to the presence of illegal aliens in these communities.

Here is Mr. Fotis' campaign web site: http://www.fotisforsheriff.com/Welcome.html

vrwmiller

imported post

One thing I would be interested in is whether anyone here has been a previous member of the LEAA. In doing my research, I did find a blog (bvbl.net) with information pointing to articles that smeared LEAA and Jim Fotis.

Would be nice to know if others have an personal experiences to speak of.

vrwmiller

imported post

Wooley wrote:
First I've heard of Mr. Fotis.

In my hood, all I see are Glen Hill and Mike Messier signs.

Same here. From what I have found, Messier was on Stoffregen's staff. Stoffregen was outed by current incumbant and condidate, Hill. Citizens were extremely unhappy with Stoffregen and Hill won in a landslide victory.

vrwmiller

imported post

I am tempted to agree. Hill has been a good Sheriff given everything I have found. Fotis, may be a good conservative Republican and endorsed by VCDL, but his lack of exposure and recognition is his biggest enemy, at this point.

markand

imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
One thing I would be interested in is whether anyone here has been a previous member of the LEAA. In doing my research, I did find a blog (bvbl.net) with information pointing to articles that smeared LEAA and Jim Fotis.

Would be nice to know if others have an personal experiences to speak of.
I've been a member of LEAA off and on, for quite a number of years. Never got personally involved with the organization, but the magazine is professional and well done. LEAA's stated goals and objectives (pro-civilian CCW among them) are in line with mine. If I were a PW county resident, I'd vote for Jim Fotis.

Scheetz

imported post

Interesting. I was just thinking about this today when I went out for my ride. I have not paid any attention to the sheriff runnings at all.

I really have not even paid attention to what Glen Hill has done or anything else for that matter. Guess I need to get on the move.

zoom6zoom

imported post

I've received two postcards endorsing Fotis (one from NRA, one from VCDL-PAC), a flier from his campaign, and one of those automated phone calls.

I haven't received anything from any other candidates (well, a small postcard from Hill), so I don't know what positions other than Sheriff are being contested.

rabbit994

imported post

I've been following it via bvbl.net and talking to some cops.

Basically Messier was part of old corrupt administration that handed out badges and pissed off Prince William Police Department.

Fotis is pro 2nd Amendment but confusion comes in that Sheriff doesn't really set policy for anything so why run for that office.

Hill basically has cleaned up the department and kept everything going good.

I'm personally voting for Hill in the primary.

vrwmiller

imported post

rabbit994 wrote:
I've been following it via bvbl.net and talking to some cops.

I've also seen some of the candidate information on bvbl.net. Though, this past week was the first I had ever heard fo this site. So, I don't know how credible it is.

I did speak to my Delegate, Jackson Miller, yesterday after he arrived at my residence in response to several letters I had sent him. I asked him about the election. He is endorsing Hill.

vrwmiller

imported post

I voted today. Hope everyone else in voting precincts are getting out and doing the same. This is OPEN primaries.

EDIT: taking care is misspelling

vrwmiller

imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
I voted at 6:57 AM. I was only the second person to vote in my precinct. The first was the husband of one of the poll workers. Pretty sad.

Yep. Sad. I was #2 in line when I voted this morning at about 9:00AM and someone came in right after me. My wife in about 5:00PM and said that about 160 people in our precinct had voted up til that time.

vrwmiller

imported post

I just checked the VA State Board of Elections Site....All 74 precincts have reported their results:

Voter turnout: 3.041% (6,488 of 213,290)
Hill: 61.2% (3,971)
Messier: 20.65% (1,340)
Fotis: 18.14% (1,177)

3% voter turnout is really disappointing.

Fotis did better than I thought he would do. I thought he would only garner 8 - 10% of the vote. He came in just behind Messier.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

On the one hand, sad. On the other, it shows how few people, meaning us, are really needed to control the local gov'ts or legislature.

If we control who the candidates are, we're half-way there. The leftistextremist blocs within the Democratic partyhave known this for years and are very good atorganizing to influence or winthe Democratic primaries, thereby ensuring that theliberal candidates are the most extremethey canget.

Its time we turn the tables on them.