• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What made YOU decide to OC?

SFCAdamsYG

imported post

My first encounter with someone OCing was about 3 years ago (before i knew that OC was legal) I was a driver for an auto parts place. I went to a garage in Dillsburg, PA to deliver some parts and I saw this guy in woodlandBDU pants cut into shorts and a t-shirt with I believe a beretta 92 in a military holster on his hip. It's funny to think that a lot of people freak out when they see someone OCing, it didn't bother me at all. As a matter of fact, I thought that it was cool. So cool I might add that now i do it myself, lol. I think that the more people that OC the better. Once people find out it's legal and they shake off the first couple of times jitters, they'll enjoy exercising their rights. I know I do.

Personally I like OC much more than CC especially in the summer. It's hard for me to conceal in the first place as I'm rather skinny (only weigh 135lbs.) and my weapon of choice is a G23. So farI haven't really had any bad experiences with the exception of that one guy giving my friend an ear full.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

I prefer to oc because it is much more convenient as the summer goes, plus it is usually more comfortable to oc than cc.

And as an added bonus you get to exercise your rights :exclaim:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I bumped into our SuperModerator at a VCDL meeting and didn't have the sense to walk away before I got myself in too deep. :)

The real answer is political activism. Every chance I get,

imperialism2024

imported post

Not that I've OCed yet (I'll do it soon...), but the idea appeals to me for tactical reasons. First, the deterrent effect, as all but the stupidest criminal will skip mugging the guy with the gun strapped to his hip and look for easier prey instead. Second, it's an easier and faster draw if necessary; I don't want to be fishing a handgun out of my jacket or pants if I ever need to use it.

There's also the issue of OCing looking more legitimate. If I'm carrying a handgun, it's for a lawful and legitimate purpose, so I shouldn't need to conceal it like a drug dealer hides baggies of coke.

Oh, and I'm also not old enough to get a CCW license yet :lol:

Tomahawk

imported post

Well, the first time I ever OC'd was when I attended my first VCDL meeting and wound up going to the restaurant afterwards. Everybody around me was OC'ing to comply with the law. So I joined the crowd. Had I been there alone I would have left it in my truck.

Even though I knew OC was technically not illegal, I had plenty of anxiety about people and cops overeacting at first. But I'm much more comfortable with it now.

Skuggi

imported post

if you dont use your rights you lose them

the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

deterent

quicker draw

makes me look neater than wearing an untucked shirt

to help the public get used to guns and them being good

IMO Only bad guys need to conceal their weapon

vrwmiller

imported post

I had traditionally been a CC type of person in VA until the Tony's 7 incident in Manassas, VA where several citizens carrying firearms were harrassed by local PD. It was this incident that really got me involved in pro-rights activism.

I did not OC for about a month or so following the incident, because I live within that PD's jurisdiction and didn't feel like being harrassed myself. However, after thinking about it plenty and reading these boards, I decided I was not going to let that get to me. I realized that if I did not exercise that right, that eventually, it would be taken away.

Since that time, I have become very accustomed to OC'ing and have become more involved in the pro-rights activism events in the area. I've also been exposing my 11 year old son to this. I have resolved to teach him how to be a better American and involve him in this as much as I can.

After having OC'd for a few months, I find that it's much more comfortable than attempting to CC all the time...especially as the weather gets warmer.

Now, when I carry, I often hope for citizens to make comments or ask questions. This open up an opportunity for me to educate other citizens on their rights. It's a civic duty for me to ensure that all citizens are aware of their rights.