• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Near miss

Tomahawk

imported post

Over in the Washington forum there is a thread by Chungpy http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=2984&forum_id=55&jump_to=41005#p41005about an aggressive driving situation in which he brandished in order to deter an aggressor. I wanted to relate a similar incident that happend to me last summer for comparison and analysis.

I was in a similar situation last summer, when I was a passenger in the back seat of a small car heading into WV along I64 from Richmond for a whitewater rafting trip. In that case, a guy wearing a wifebeatercarrying a lawnmower in the back of a beater pickup truck (hereafter referred to as "Lawnmower Man" or LM) tried to cut us off as we switched lanes to pass a truck. He had sped WAY up over the speed limit and when he failed to block us in he got all hissy and started gesturing at us and trying to intimidate us by swerving at us.

I was CC'ing at the time, and I discretely reached under my shirt and prepared to draw if needed, but made no other move. LM kept pointing his finger at us making the "shoot you" gesture, but I didn't see him display an actual weapon. His wife was yelling at him, she was apparently embarrassed by his behavior, and he kept reaching across her lap to "shoot" his finger at us while screaming foul language.

I advised our driver to slow down and let him pass, which we did. LM, who only a moment ago was intent on going fast, now dawdled in the right lane waiting for us to pass him on the left. On my advice, our driver stayed well behind him in an effort to wait for him to get bored and go away.

As chance would have it, we were both getting off at the same exit a few miles away, and when we followed LM up the exit ramp, we saw him make a right at the stop sign. We were also going right, but I told our driver to make a left and just U-turn after a few minutes to put distance between us. As we turned left, we saw LM was waiting on the shoulder for us behind us. He must have been thinking about turning around and following us. Finally, he gave up and drove off.

Although, I was prepared to do so, I never seriously came close to drawing my weapon, and I did not get angry or emotional, rather I became very calm and tried to keep my head clear. I was constantly thinking about what might happen in the next few seconds.

Some details:

-Those of you familiar with this part of I-64 know that this is a very isolated stretch of highway up in the mountains. There was very little traffic and lots of trees.

-I did not see a weapon, and I was watching like a hawk.

-Had LM actually had a weapon and pointed it at us, I would have been faced with a dilemma, since his wife was in between me and my target. Also, he was slightly in front of where I was sitting in the back seat, since he was directing his gestures at our driver, not at me. So my line of sight to him was sometimes obstructed by the corner of the truck's cab or his wife's head.

-None of us gestured or blew a horn at this guy at any time. We avoided eye contact as well. This was about as unprovoked an incident as I have ever been involved with. What set the guy off was that he failed to block us in in the first place. One of the biggest hotheaded guys I've ever seen on the highway. Had our vehicles been stopped I'm certain this guy was willing to get out and tangle.

So let's discuss.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Wow. I can completely relate. I will tell you this. As long as I'm talking, you're fine, but when "it's time",I tend to get very....very uncannily quiet.

There have been dozens of times in NJ in similar situations, I have stopped my car in the middle of the road and in the middle of traffic and got out of the car and waved for the idiot to come on out and "dance". EVERY TIME it was nothing but BS and they were all cowards.

Tomahawk

imported post

Once upon a time I might have been hotheaded enough to stop and get out like you describe, Bob, but I would never do that anymore, especially while carrying.

My focus is on avoiding the conflict, evading if I can't avoid, and finally, fighting if I can't evade.

My younger self might call me a wuss, but my current self would call my younger self a fool. I have no desire to wind up in a jail cell because of some jackhole hayseed in a POS pickup truck.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I do my best just to ignore any road rage provications, just not worth the possible consequences.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Sounds like you kept a cool head, probably best not to brandish or provoke without better cause than a hand gesture.

From your account of the story, it sounds like you reasoned through it well.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Oh yeah. A++++.

Avoid contact. Avoid contact. ----if possible.

Do not pull gun. Do not pull gun. ---unless faced with imminent danger of severe injury or death.

Pat on back. Pat on back. ---- for handling very intelligently.

Oh yeah. A++++.

Coulda been Richard Koenig on vacation or something...he would come out to dance!

Seriously, that's an exemplar for handling that kind of situation, with the details as described, Tomahawk.

I agree with longwatch. Road rage situations are to be avoided if at all possible. Don't let the guy rent space in your head for nothing.

Tomahawk

imported post

BobCav wrote:
That time I was too young to carry, was about 17 and that's just the way it was in north Jersey back then.
Yeah, I know. South Jersey wasn't much different. The phrase "your mom" was grounds for an instant right cross. Even the nuns at school would tune you up if you gave them any lip. Especially the Italian immigrant nuns who told us stories about being bombed by both sides in WWII. You didn't F--- with the penguin, boy.

Sitrep

imported post

Brandishing in the hope that it will intimidate an aggressive person into changing their course of action is likely to be unsuccessful. Though it may work sometimes, you would be running a significant risk of merely escalating the situation. He's aggressive, you brandish, he starts shooting (basically what I assume happened in the Koenig incident, though I don't know if the victim actually brandished).

If an escalation of an incident is going to occur, I'd rather be the last one to pull and shoot after he brandishes.

But I really think if I'm in a moving vehicle, almost any move is better than a driving shootout. The only time I'd consider resorting to using my firearm is if he left me no better option. Escaping a situation is almost always a better option.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

BobCav wrote:
Wow. I can completely relate. I will tell you this. As long as I'm talking, you're fine, but when "it's time",I tend to get very....very uncannily quiet.
Is this possible? You can be more quiet than I can?

I do not believe you.