Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non-resident passing through

Post imported post

Can anyone tell me if open carry is legal for a non-resident while passing through? As there is no requirement for a permit to open carry, I was wondering if the same was extended to non-residents as well.

Thanks!

Post imported post

Welcome to the Old Dominion.

Resident or non-resident, if you're legal to own you're legal to openly carry.
    (Subject to the same restrictions as everyone else)

While you're passing through stop a while and enjoy.

Best

The Eggman
    www.the-eggman.com
    "Never pick a fight with an old spy. If he doesn't feel like fighting he'll just kill you."

T.S. Eggleston, DmAt, MSI - aka The Eggman
    www.TheEggman.com
    www.TheEgglestonGroup.com

"If You Can't Be Free, At Leat Be Irritating"

Post imported post

Correct... All who pass thru this great state can openly carry if they are legally allowed to possess a firearm.

Post imported post

Thanks for the info. I'll unfortunately be passing through on my way to the People's Republic of Maryland. Better get my carry in while I still can before I see the Gestapo.

Post imported post

When you get here.... enjoy some OC time and lock it up before driving into Maryland. We want to be stay out of jail.

BTW... MD and DC have high crimes rates and they have restrictive gun laws.... Oddly enough... VAhaslax gun laws and far less crime. Figure that out... :P

Post imported post

I know all too well about the PR of MD. I spent the first 28 years of my life there. When I told my fiancee that I would have to stop before crossing the line and unload every single bullet from my magazines, she thought I was joking.

I can't get out of that state fast enough.

Post imported post

So happy I decided to live in VA when I moved here...

Post imported post

When I moved to VA in 1984, it was not by choice. However, as I have grown and become more politically aware, I've decided VA is a fine place to live

Post imported post

One more question - what are the regs as far as when you're in your vehicle?

Thanks!

Post imported post

TheEggman wrote:
    great first post... and welcome to the board yourself!
    -Unrequited

Post imported post

wsweeks2 wrote:
    ...if you don't have a recip'ed CC permit, I'd keep it on the dash, or on the other seat so it's openly viewable, according to the packing.org opinion here:

http://www.packing.org/state/virginia/#statecar_law
    -Unrequited

Post imported post

unrequited wrote:
    TheEggman wrote:
    great first post... and welcome to the board yourself!

Thanks for the welcome. I hope to be able to contribute much, and if not, at least not irritate too many people.

Later

Egg

"Never pick a fight with an old spy. If he doesn't feel like fighting he'll just kill you."

T.S. Eggleston, DmAt, MSI - aka The Eggman
    www.TheEggman.com
    www.TheEgglestonGroup.com

"If You Can't Be Free, At Leat Be Irritating"

Post imported post

unrequited wrote:
    wsweeks2 wrote:
    ...if you don't have a recip'ed CC permit, I'd keep it on the dash, or on the other seat so it's openly viewable, according to the packing.org opinion here:

For more clarification, does that mean someone riding shotgun can keep it in their lap?

(Unintended pun)
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

AbNo wrote:
    unrequited wrote:
    wsweeks2 wrote:

For more clarification, does that mean someone riding shotgun can keep it in their lap?

(Unintended pun)
    CORRECT!

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    AbNo wrote:
    unrequited wrote:
    wsweeks2 wrote:

(Unintended pun)
    CORRECT!
    So... you (the driver) can't have it in YOUR OWN lap, but someone else can?

*blink*

I swear, this state makes NO sense sometimes...

Post imported post

Permit me to clarify...IMO... if you can openly carry a firearm you should be able to ride shotgun with a shotgun. Now having an assault rifle in public may be prohibited to some. At a school makes reference to a gun rack but UNLOADED.

§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

All those who lack a CC permit can openly carry a firearm however.. You cannot carry an assault rifle as defined in 287.4 above unless you have a CC permit.

§ 18.2-308.1. Possession of firearm, stun weapon, or other weapon on school property prohibited.

a person who possesses an unloaded firearm that is in a closed container, or a knife having a metal blade, in or upon a motor vehicle, or an unloaded shotgun or rifle in a firearms rack in or upon a motor vehicle

Post imported post

Thanks LEO 229 for the info. Made my trip through this past Saturday, and it was also the first time I have ever open carried.

We stopped for lunch at the Cracker Barrel in South Hill off of I 85. My fiancee who is still very new to being around firearms panicked when we were walking in and there was a Mecklenberg County Sherriff Deputy going in as well. While we were inside putting our name on the list for a table, he started walking towards the hostess as well, and upon noticing that I was carrying, he simply nodded and went about his business.

I have to say that open carry would take some getting used to, but it was also a great feeling to be able to exercise a right that so many are trying to take away from us.

Post imported post

Sure thing... Glad your experience was good.

I am sure many here can understand how you feel and it is a shame that Ocers sometimes feel that way. It is OK and legal to carry in Virginia. Girls likes shoes.... guys like guns! We cannot help it.. it is in our DNA.

You know that some people are going to judge you and poke fun at the fact you are packing and they are not. I can tell you that I carry EVERYWHERE!!!But mostly hidden from view... I like the fact that my equalizer is unknown so the bad guy does not know he needs to pull his first.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    When you get here.... enjoy some OC time and lock it up before driving into Maryland. We want to be stay out of jail.

BTW... MD and DC have high crimes rates and they have restrictive gun laws.... Oddly enough... VAhaslax gun laws and far less crime. Figure that out... :P
    Yeah, curious isn't it? The last info I saw put Maryland in the number 4 position among the highest crime states and Virginia I believe was number 38.

Another interesting thing about Virginia is three of its counties are the wealthiest in the nation (Fairfax), the fastest growing (Loudoun), and have the highest job growth (Prince William).

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

I would enjoy seeing a breakdown of crime based on states that have gun restrictions vs those that do not.

DC has a murder by firearm daily yet they have a absolute gun ban in place.. How can that be????

Duh.. the only the criminals have guns!!! They can easily pray upon their unarmed victims.

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    I like the fact that my equalizer is unknown so the bad guy does not know he needs to pull his first.
    I OC because I like the fact that the BG will probably decide NOT to pull his until he finds a softer target...
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    I would enjoy seeing a breakdown of crime based on states that have gun restrictions vs those that do not.

DC has a murder by firearm daily yet they have a absolute gun ban in place.. How can that be????

Duh.. the only the criminals have guns!!! They can easily pray upon their unarmed victims.
    Bottom line for 2005 violent crimes per 100,000 people:

VT: 199.7

VA: 282.8

MD: 703.0

DC: 1,459.0

From no carry restrictions to extreme prohibition, the pattern is striking. Doesn't say how many of what type of crime are firearm-related, though.

Can't reallycopy and paste the actual data, but here's the cite:

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    More specifically for this...

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/...e_Ranking.html

But I could PROBABLY make that into a spreadsheet, if anyone is interested?

Post imported post

I'd love to see what you come up with AbNo

Post imported post

All right. I'll have to remember on Friday night, when I get to work, but I'll see what I can do.

OpenOffice.Org, for those of you lacking MS Office.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast