• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Planning visit to Kansas City

ThatIsAFact

imported post

I plan to visit Kansas City on business soon. I have a valid concealed-carry permit, and I am familar with the list of locations in which a concealed carry permit is not valid. I have three questions:

(1) Is open carry legal within the borders of Kansas City? (I understand that the state preemption law does NOT apply to local restrictions on open carry.)

(2) If legal, is open carry practiced in K.C. and if so, what is the typical response of law enforcement authorities?

(3) When within a jurisdiction in Missouri which has no local restriction on open carry, is it legal to openly carry in a bar? (In Virginia, for example, concealed carry is prohibited in alcohol-serving establishments, but open carry is not prohibited.)

drur

imported post

Check out some of the other threads for answers to your questions. As a life-long resident of Missouri, I have never seen anyone open carry with the exception of myself. I have never been questioned as to why I was carrying but then again I live in a very conservative area of the state.

The problem with KC is you never really know exactly where the municipal/state boundaries are. With that being said, I would conceal carry (although that is the bullshit answer until we can get the proper legislation passed). Missouri will recognize ANY out of state concealed carry license.

Good luck with your trip and keep on packing!!!

drur

imported post

Check the "where to open carry" thread for a consolidated list that Shawn and I produced last year. Like Mike said, it would be nice if a Kansaian (sp?) picked up the flag and did the same for his/her state.

joeroket

imported post

After reading the municipal code for Kansas City the only statute that mentions open carry is 50-269 which states:

(a)No person who has a concealed carry endorsement issued by the Missouri director of revenue under Section 571.094 RSMo. who has been issued a valid permit or endorsement to carry concealed firearms issued by another state or political subdivision of another state, shall, by authority of that endorsement or permit, be allowed to carry a concealed firearm or to openly carry a firearm in any building or portion of a building owned, leased or controlled by the city.

d)Any person violating this section may be denied entrance to the building or ordered to leave the building. No other penalty shall be imposed for a violation of this section.

I find it funny how there is no penalty other thanordering you to leave. I like it but I found it odd. Most states I have read laws on make this or similar crime a misdemeanor. But then if you do not leave you have to deal with criminal trespass.

drur

imported post

The only penalty that can be imposed for "violating" a properly posted location (sign has to be a minimum of 11" X 14" with letters at least 1" tall) is a $100 fine for refusing to leave. So in other words, as long as you cooperate, they can't do a damn thing to you. There are additional penalities for repeated violations, but as far as I know nobody has been charged.

I wouldn't get caught up in being concerned about carrying any place that is posted. I have posted threads on different concealed carry forums concerning this. Not one person ever posted a reply stating that had been "caught" and asked to leave. 99.9% of folks would not have the balls to even confront someone whom they thought was carrying.

In other words, welcome to Missouri and carry your weapon just about anywhere you damn well please!