• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying concealed or openly at the polls today

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well, I just spent an hour combing through the Virginia Code, and I can't find a law prohibiting weapons at the polls. Can anyone verify this for me?

vrwmiller

imported post

IANAL, but I think it's perfectly legal to carry to the poll, provided it is not a restricted location. My poll is an elementary school, so carry there is prohibited.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I just got back from voting, and it was uneventful. I open carried my 1911 in a CQC Blackhawk holster and as I was signing in one of the two gentlemen asked, "Is that a 1911 on your hip?" and I said that it was, and I loved it. and he proceeded to tell me about his, and the other guy chimed in about one he owned too. I voted and left, and just as I went outside I met Glendell Hill coming in to vote, so I stopped and introduced myself. He asked if I had supported him today, and I told him that I hadn't. I didn't mean to rain on his parade, but you don't lie to the sheriff. ;)

So for those of you like myself who might be wondering if it's okay to carry your gun openly at the polling place in Virginia, unless it's at a restricted location like a school or church, it is emphatically OKAY.

LEO 229

imported post

BobCav wrote:
Mine's at an elementary school too. Blah....

Maybe they can have a drive up poll.... if you have a CC Permit and you do not get out... you can take the gun with you and vote... ;)

§ 18.2-308.1. Possession of firearm, stun weapon, or other weapon on school property prohibited.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to

(vii) a person who has a valid concealed handgun permit and possesses a concealed handgun while in a motor vehicle in a parking lot, traffic circle, or other means of vehicular ingress or egress to the school.

LEO 229

imported post

BobCav wrote:
I thought theyonly do "drive-by voting' for 65 and older though?
I have seen your pics Bob... Your getting up there... :lol:

zoom6zoom

imported post

I thought we had a thread on this a few months ago but I can't find a reference now - I thought there was something about polling places being restricted; maybe the info I had was for another state. As has been noted, unfortunately most polling places seem to be in schools anyway.