Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minor Incident at Walmart

Post imported post

I was OCing over the weekend at the Canton Walmart. I was dressed in a polo shirt and jeans,so my appearance was not anything out of the ordinary. My wife and my sister were with me, and we were walking into the store. I was talking to my wife as we walked through the door, when all of a sudden, I hear someone say "He's got a #*%$ gun!!" in apanicked voice. I look up, and there is a man about my age, probably 18-22, dressed up in gangster gear, with a t-shirt that has a picture of brass knuckles on it, on a cell phone, staring at my holstered gun. He was on a cell phone, and as soon as he saw me look up, he took off running out the door. Then he stopped in front of the store, in the middle of the crosswalk, and yelled in the phone, "You heard me, he's got a #($*#@ gun!!" A couple of people around us looked at him, and then back at me, and then continued about their business. My wife, sister, and I continued into the store through the second set of doors, and the Walmart greeter was at the door as usual, and it just so happened that one of the store manager's was there as well. I said hello to them, and I know they saw my gun, but it didn't seem to bother them at all. They responded with a friendly "good afternoon" and went back to talking. I did not have any other incidents the whole time we were in the store (15-20 mins) I found it rather amusing, looking back on the situation, that the man trying to portray the typical "tough guy" image was that easily rattled by an ordinary person carrying a ordinary gun. I wanted to be able to stop and talk to him about why I had a gun, and let him know that I didn't mean any harm, but I figured that following him to try to talk would look threatening, and so I just went on with life as normal. I am curious, has anyone else out there had a similar situation, and if so, how did you handle it? Also I would appreciate any advice on how I could have handled the situation better. Keep OCing O-H-I-O!

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Good report. Keep acarryin'. We are winning.

Founder's Club Member OC-Glock19's Avatar

Post imported post

I've never come across anyone who freaked out at the sight of my gun, but you reminded me of this video where passersby are pranked by armed car guards pretending to freak out when they pick up a toy gun on the sidewalk.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

...PRICELESS!

Post imported post

Good report, thanks.

Post imported post

You could have called the police due to a customer inducing panic. But I think I'd have just flipped him off and gone about my shopping.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Flipping-off while armed, while satisfying, is considered bad form.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    Agree, anyways I'd only do it if he was smaller than me

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    Exactly,that's not quite "The High Road". Wait a sec, this isn't THR; this is the trenches!!

SCREW EM!!

Post imported post

Imothere is little difference between yelling"HE'S GOT A GUN, HE'S GOT A GUN!!" and yelling "FIRE" in a crowded theater.

Post imported post

The last thing I would do is to give the guy the finger. He would be left with the impression of people that carry guns are jerks and would probably put every person he saw carrying after that into that stereotype. Sometimes taking the high road isn't the fun or easy thing to do, but I remind myself every time IOC that I am representing a cause that is much bigger and important that myself or my ego.

Post imported post

dngreer wrote:
    The last thing I would do is to give the guy the finger...I remind myself every time IOC that I am representing a cause that is much bigger and important that myself or my ego.
    Agreed 1000%

Post imported post

Sounds like you did a good job keeping your cool and made OCers look good too.

Reminded me of this funny thread: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=2824&forum_id=50&highlig ht=encounter

Post imported post

That is a funny story. It is amazing how rude and confrontational people will get when they are sure they are right about gun laws, even if they are mistaken. I guess that's the price of practicing our constitutional rights....

Post imported post

Nice avatar - don't get to see the Ohio flag much.

-ljp

Post imported post

Thanks. It is actually a very nice looking flag. I've been thinking about getting one to fly out front of my house along with my US flag, but for some reason I haven't done it yet. And fyi, I just copied and pasted the picture of the Ohio flag from the Open Carry Ohio page. (if you care)

Post imported post

I'd like to get a state flag myself, but the last time I saw one for sale, this jerk had one that was rectangular, with just plain white cloth where the cutout should be for the pennant shape. Quite annoying that.

-ljp

Post imported post

That definately ruins the look! Also it would be pretty stupid to be flying a knock-off flag. Some people will try to sell anything.... for an example; Goodwill selling used underwear. Nothing like wearing tighty-whiteys with someone else's brown skidmarks! But I guess that's a little off the open carry topic.

Post imported post

dngreer wrote:
    That definately ruins the look! Also it would be pretty stupid to be flying a knock-off flag. Some people will try to sell anything.... for an example; Goodwill selling used underwear. Nothing like wearing tighty-whiteys with someone else's brown skidmarks! But I guess that's a little off the open carry topic.
    This says it all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post imported post

Sorry to offend you tarzan. That wasn't the point. Another member from Ohio and I were having a conversation and I am sorry it bothered you.

State Researcher

Post imported post

I have had some minor incidences as well.

They basically are all jokes, lots of people saying 'oh I'm not gonna mess with him, hes got a gun'.

These may very well be people just nervous around firearms, and just saying something to break the silence or just to make sure I am not a nut and can respond like a normal citizen.

Usually I just give a smile or a how are you, some others have crossed the line further, but I do not feel I need to warrant a response to their ignorance.

-----------

But my favorite response was this past Saturday on my way out to the Indiana Dunes....

I am in the Pilot gas station, and I was walking out soft drink in hand, a guy was walking into the store, with his wife and friend, they were older, maybe 55ish.

He sees my firearm as he opened the door for me and said, whoa, not gonna screw with you, youve got a gun. (as if I did not know I had a gun!)

So he then said are you law enforcement, I replied with a simple 'No'.

So then he said, "you're just a plain old Indiana citizen?"

I replied, 'yes' and then he said "well $hit" I just smiled and walked out.

Post imported post

Openryan, that's a similar experience to several "encounters" I've had. I think I've been asked if I'm a LEO about 3-4 times, and people can't believe that an ordinary citizen can just carry a gun around. All part of re-educating the public, huh?

State Researcher

Post imported post

You are right, I suppose it really depends where you live though.

In NW Indiana, I seldom see anyone carrying, I have noticed a few cc'ers and only one oc'er in the past few months.

I think the public up here is undereducated in that respect.

When I showed up to my parents house, they told me I was going to get arrested, that I had to cover it up, which is obviously not the case, they have the same permit I do, they were just misinformed, probably by the police of all peope--imagine that!

But I think that people who truly want to open carry, seek out the legality of the practice rather than take someone elses word for it, I know I did and a few others on the board who have done the same.

-Time to go to work , and of all places I am in East Chicago today, if you want to see a bad area -- take a ride out there, I'll be packing :celebrate

Post imported post

Your parents sound just like mine. My parents are definitely not okay with my practice of open carrying. My mother told me I was just carrying because I am looking for trouble and she wouldn't be surprised if I got arrested or shot. My dad told me this isn't the wild west any more. I tried to explain my thinking to them, but I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. All I know is that there have been four break-ins and 2 holdups in homes and local stores in my immediate neighborhood in the past 6 months, and I'm not about to become a statistic. God forbid I should ever have to use force, but I'm not going to an early grave because I was not prepared.

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    So, someone doing the "He's got a gun!" gambit is either genuinely afraid and is therefore being reasonable--or is using the opportunity for a freebie shot at the OCer (if they are an anti).
    I believe my response to that would be:

"HE'S GOT A FIST, HE'S GOT A FIST"

or

"SHE'S GOT A PURSE, SHE'S GOT A PURSE"

Changing depending on what they are carrying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast