• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Minor Incident at Walmart

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I was OCing over the weekend at the Canton Walmart. I was dressed in a polo shirt and jeans,so my appearance was not anything out of the ordinary. My wife and my sister were with me, and we were walking into the store. I was talking to my wife as we walked through the door, when all of a sudden, I hear someone say "He's got a #*%$ gun!!" in apanicked voice. I look up, and there is a man about my age, probably 18-22, dressed up in gangster gear, with a t-shirt that has a picture of brass knuckles on it, on a cell phone, staring at my holstered gun. He was on a cell phone, and as soon as he saw me look up, he took off running out the door. Then he stopped in front of the store, in the middle of the crosswalk, and yelled in the phone, "You heard me, he's got a #($*#@ gun!!" A couple of people around us looked at him, and then back at me, and then continued about their business. My wife, sister, and I continued into the store through the second set of doors, and the Walmart greeter was at the door as usual, and it just so happened that one of the store manager's was there as well. I said hello to them, and I know they saw my gun, but it didn't seem to bother them at all. They responded with a friendly "good afternoon" and went back to talking. I did not have any other incidents the whole time we were in the store (15-20 mins) I found it rather amusing, looking back on the situation, that the man trying to portray the typical "tough guy" image was that easily rattled by an ordinary person carrying a ordinary gun. I wanted to be able to stop and talk to him about why I had a gun, and let him know that I didn't mean any harm, but I figured that following him to try to talk would look threatening, and so I just went on with life as normal. I am curious, has anyone else out there had a similar situation, and if so, how did you handle it? Also I would appreciate any advice on how I could have handled the situation better. Keep OCing O-H-I-O!

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I've never come across anyone who freaked out at the sight of my gun, but you reminded me of this video where passersby are pranked by armed car guards pretending to freak out when they pick up a toy gun on the sidewalk.

mattswabb

imported post

You could have called the police due to a customer inducing panic. But I think I'd have just flipped him off and gone about my shopping.

ne1

imported post

Imothere is little difference between yelling"HE'S GOT A GUN, HE'S GOT A GUN!!" and yelling "FIRE" in a crowded theater.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

The last thing I would do is to give the guy the finger. He would be left with the impression of people that carry guns are jerks and would probably put every person he saw carrying after that into that stereotype. Sometimes taking the high road isn't the fun or easy thing to do, but I remind myself every time IOC that I am representing a cause that is much bigger and important that myself or my ego.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

dngreer wrote:
The last thing I would do is to give the guy the finger...I remind myself every time IOC that I am representing a cause that is much bigger and important that myself or my ego.
Agreed 1000%

dng

State Researcher
imported post

That is a funny story. It is amazing how rude and confrontational people will get when they are sure they are right about gun laws, even if they are mistaken. I guess that's the price of practicing our constitutional rights....:banghead:

Legba

imported post

Nice avatar - don't get to see the Ohio flag much.

-ljp

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Thanks. It is actually a very nice looking flag. I've been thinking about getting one to fly out front of my house along with my US flag, but for some reason I haven't done it yet. And fyi, I just copied and pasted the picture of the Ohio flag from the Open Carry Ohio page. (if you care)

Legba

imported post

I'd like to get a state flag myself, but the last time I saw one for sale, this jerk had one that was rectangular, with just plain white cloth where the cutout should be for the pennant shape. Quite annoying that.

-ljp

dng

State Researcher
imported post

That definately ruins the look! Also it would be pretty stupid to be flying a knock-off flag. Some people will try to sell anything.... for an example; Goodwill selling used underwear. Nothing like wearing tighty-whiteys with someone else's brown skidmarks! But I guess that's a little off the open carry topic. :lol:

tarzan1888

imported post

dngreer wrote:
That definately ruins the look! Also it would be pretty stupid to be flying a knock-off flag. Some people will try to sell anything.... for an example; Goodwill selling used underwear. Nothing like wearing tighty-whiteys with someone else's brown skidmarks! But I guess that's a little off the open carry topic. :lol:
This says it all.

Attachments

• bsflag.gif
    bsflag.gif
    8.7 KB · Views: 565

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Sorry to offend you tarzan. That wasn't the point. Another member from Ohio and I were having a conversation and I am sorry it bothered you.