• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Minor Incident at Walmart

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

I have had some minor incidences as well.

They basically are all jokes, lots of people saying 'oh I'm not gonna mess with him, hes got a gun'.

These may very well be people just nervous around firearms, and just saying something to break the silence or just to make sure I am not a nut and can respond like a normal citizen.

Usually I just give a smile or a how are you, some others have crossed the line further, but I do not feel I need to warrant a response to their ignorance.

-----------

But my favorite response was this past Saturday on my way out to the Indiana Dunes....

I am in the Pilot gas station, and I was walking out soft drink in hand, a guy was walking into the store, with his wife and friend, they were older, maybe 55ish.

He sees my firearm as he opened the door for me and said, whoa, not gonna screw with you, youve got a gun. (as if I did not know I had a gun!)

So he then said are you law enforcement, I replied with a simple 'No'.

So then he said, "you're just a plain old Indiana citizen?"

I replied, 'yes' and then he said "well $hit" I just smiled and walked out.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Openryan, that's a similar experience to several "encounters" I've had. I think I've been asked if I'm a LEO about 3-4 times, and people can't believe that an ordinary citizen can just carry a gun around. All part of re-educating the public, huh? :cool:

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

You are right, I suppose it really depends where you live though.

In NW Indiana, I seldom see anyone carrying, I have noticed a few cc'ers and only one oc'er in the past few months.

I think the public up here is undereducated in that respect.

When I showed up to my parents house, they told me I was going to get arrested, that I had to cover it up, which is obviously not the case, they have the same permit I do, they were just misinformed, probably by the police of all peope--imagine that!

But I think that people who truly want to open carry, seek out the legality of the practice rather than take someone elses word for it, I know I did and a few others on the board who have done the same.

-Time to go to work :(, and of all places I am in East Chicago today, if you want to see a bad area -- take a ride out there, I'll be packing :celebrate

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Your parents sound just like mine. My parents are definitely not okay with my practice of open carrying. My mother told me I was just carrying because I am looking for trouble and she wouldn't be surprised if I got arrested or shot. My dad told me this isn't the wild west any more. I tried to explain my thinking to them, but I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. All I know is that there have been four break-ins and 2 holdups in homes and local stores in my immediate neighborhood in the past 6 months, and I'm not about to become a statistic. God forbid I should ever have to use force, but I'm not going to an early grave because I was not prepared.

gregma

imported post

HankT wrote:
So, someone doing the "He's got a gun!" gambit is either genuinely afraid and is therefore being reasonable--or is using the opportunity for a freebie shot at the OCer (if they are an anti).
I believe my response to that would be:

"HE'S GOT A FIST, HE'S GOT A FIST"

or

"SHE'S GOT A PURSE, SHE'S GOT A PURSE"

Changing depending on what they are carrying.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Well, he did have quite a bit of jewelry around his neck, so I could have yelled "He robbed the jewelry counter!" It is the same kind of logic: (which by the way, makes me want todo this::banghead: )

He has a gun = He must be a criminal and is going to shoot up Walmart; why else would someone have a gun?

Heis wearing a tonof chains and jewelry= he must have robbed the Walmart jewelry counter! Why else would someone have that much jewelry?

Ground Chuk

imported post

dngreer wrote:
Well, he did have quite a bit of jewelry around his neck, so I could have yelled "He robbed the jewelry counter!" It is the same kind of logic: (which by the way, makes me want todo this::banghead: )

He has a gun = He must be a criminal and is going to shoot up Walmart; why else would someone have a gun?

Heis wearing a tonof chains and jewelry= he must have robbed the Walmart jewelry counter! Why else would someone have that much jewelry?
Perhaps he was there to do criminal activity, and while talking to his cohorts he was notifying them that he was bailing out, as someone else besides him was armed.

Walter45Auto

imported post

dngreer wrote:
Openryan, that's a similar experience to several "encounters" I've had. I think I've been asked if I'm a LEO about 3-4 times, and people can't believe that an ordinary citizen can just carry a gun around. All part of re-educating the public, huh? :cool:

I was asked that by my doctor once. But I was CC'ing and she saw it when lifting up my shirt to listen to my heartbeat. I usually wrap it up in my flannel shirt across the room. This time I forgot.

She asked "Are you a police officer?"

"No."

"In the Military?"

"Nope"

"Security guard?"

"Nope.I have apermit to carry it. I carry it to defend myself."