• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GMU SCC's Andrew Dysart tells VT Review Panel like it is!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

SNIP

“The right to defend yourself shouldn’t stop the moment you step on campus,” said GMU student Andrew Dysart. “College campuses are not always as safe as we believe they should be.”
Yes folks, after former Marine and now GMU junior Andrew Dysart, GMU SCC President, told the VT Review Paenl panel that student permit holders deserve the right to carry concealed on campus, some GMU SCC members went to dinner on campus - and 4 non-0students who were carrying concealed open carried on campus in Damon;s restaurant in one of the student union buildings - the staff had no problem with it, and a few students dining at nearby tables looked over with mere curiosity - no panic, no disaster.

http://www.examiner.com/printa-775792~Va._Tech_panel_hears_gun_debate.html:

Va. Tech panel hears gun debate
Joe Rogalsky, The Examiner
2007-06-12 07:00:00.0
Current rank: # 1,031 of 7,250 Fairfax -
The Virginia Tech Review Panel spent most of its Monday meeting at George Mason University discussing mental health issues.
When the panel opened the meeting for public comment, however, members heard loudly from both sides of the gun-control debate.
Legal processes were followed when Virginia Tech student Seung-Hui Cho purchased the two guns he later used to kill 32 people on April 16.
He was able to obtain the guns even though he was technically banned from owning weapons because he had a history of mental illness because a since-closed loophole in Virginia law prevented that information from being relayed to law enforcement authorities.
Friends and family of Cho’s victims spoke emotionally for tighter regulations, including prohibitions on semiautomatic weapons and the type of ammunition Cho used.
“The Second Amendment’s right to bear arms is not absolute, just as the First Amendment’s right to freedom of speech is subject to reasonable restrictions,” said Lou Ann McNabb, a family friend of 18-year-old Reema Samaha, who was shot and killed in a Virginia Tech classroom. “Having more guns readily available does not make society safer.”
Gun-rights supporters countered that had students been allowed to carry firearms on Virginia Tech’s campus, Cho may have been stopped before completing his killing spree. Virginia law allows licensed gun owners to carry weapons in almost all public areas, but allows colleges and universities to prohibit students and faculty from carrying weapons on campus. Most Virginia universities, including Virginia Tech and George Mason, ban firearms.
“The right to defend yourself shouldn’t stop the moment you step on campus,” said GMU student Andrew Dysart. “College campuses are not always as safe as we believe they should be.”

LEO 229

imported post

I have an employee who goes to GMU. He wants to get his CC Permit and thought it was a state law banning him from packing on campus. I informed him that he cannot carry at other lower level schools but there is no law that prohibits from doing so on campus. It is just a campus rule.

vrwmiller

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I have an employee who goes to GMU. He wants to get his CC Permit and thought it was a state law banning him from packing on campus. I informed him that he cannot carry at other lower level schools but there is no law that prohibits from doing so on campus. It is just a campus rule.
I assume you've already let this employee know about GMU-SCC? And OCDO and VCDL?

:lol:

LEO 229

imported post

I told him to keep it hidden and not go bragging to his friends about having a gun.

That is what I would do.

I don't believe in picking and choosing the rules to follow but this is one I cannot accept. If the State felt it important to ban firearms at the lower schools... why not here too then. Since they have not... I find no good reason to ban them.