• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No Belt

Sitrep

imported post

I would like to get a good holster for both CC and OC. I never wear a belt and was thinking that a shoulder holster would be my best bet. I don't have a shoulder holster yet, but I also think it would be further out of my way than a OWB.

I wanted to hear some opinions before I go plunking down a bunch of money on a shoulder harness system. So far I was looking at the Galco Miami (Jackass) rig, but that's pushing $150 - $200, depending on the options. I don't hate the idea of spending a lot if it makes my P99 .40SW ride happily with me.

So, any input on shoulder vs. OWB or any other carry option, as well as different manufacturer/models would be greatly appreciated.

tarzan1888

imported post

Sitrep wrote:
I would like to get a good holster for both CC and OC. I never wear a belt and was thinking that a shoulder holster would be my best bet. I don't have a shoulder holster yet, but I also think it would be further out of my way than a OWB.

I wanted to hear some opinions before I go plunking down a bunch of money on a shoulder harness system. So far I was looking at the Galco Miami (Jackass) rig, but that's pushing $150 - $200, depending on the options. I don't hate the idea of spending a lot if it makes my P99 .40SW ride happily with me.

So, any input on shoulder vs. OWB or any other carry option, as well as different manufacturer/models would be greatly appreciated.

I am not sure if your gun will fit any of the holsters they make butI have a Triple K Ultra, shoulder rig that I like a lot and works well with my 1911. I got mine at Cabela's for about $65.

http://www.cabelas.com/ ( I shortened the Cabela's link, as they didn't have the one you needed, but others who are interested can find their shoulder holsters if they want to. Tarzan)

I would buy one for my Taurus .357 magnum 7 shot snubby, but they don't make one forit so I am looking at theGalco.I found a police equipment site that carry the Galco for about $130 and I think it includes shipping

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum1686.php

I like the Ultra as it has wider straps and is very comfortable even with a full sized 1911.

Good Luck

Sitrep

imported post

Thanks for the replies.

I've thought about a paddle holster, but about half of the ones I've looked at still suggest it be mounted to a belt. Can anyone clarify if they work fine without a belt?

Tarzan1888; Cabela doesn't list my model, so not sure if they'd fit. Thanks for the link to http://www.copsplus.com/ they look like they have damn good pricing and a great selection.

markand

imported post

You could consider a holster shirt or a belly band. Neither requires belt. I have used both from time to time and they are surprisingly comfortable, if somewhat slower in presentation.

tarzan1888

imported post

Sitrep wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

I've thought about a paddle holster, but about half of the ones I've looked at still suggest it be mounted to a belt. Can anyone clarify if they work fine without a belt?

Tarzan1888; Cabela doesn't list my model, so not sure if they'd fit. Thanks for the link to http://www.copsplus.com/ they look like they have damn good pricing and a great selection.
Yea the didn't have one for my snubby either and that is why I went looking and found copsplus. Now all I have to do is talk my wife into letting me get another holster. :celebrate

Lew

imported post

I know I'm dangerously outside the box here, but you could wear a belt.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

AbNo,

MC = Motor Cycle.

Those guys -- and gals -- usually wear nice leather vests...they're not just for looks you know. And some are made especially with pockets for guns. My vest is from legendary Leather...

http://www.legendaryusa.com/Leather_Motorcycle_Vest_s/18.htm

...and it's called the "Gunslinger" model:

http://www.legendaryusa.com/Gunslinger_Leather_Motorcycle_Vest_Gun_Pockets_p/520lpbb.htm

Another is the "Derringer" Horsehide Leather Vest...the name says what gun it's for:

http://www.legendaryusa.com/Derringer_Horsehide_Leather_Motorcycle_Vest_p/510lph.htm

Expensive, but nice.

Point is, these vests are nice, look goodand give one a way to carry a small gun not otherwise available...and the gunIS available whether you're sitting down or standing up...or riding a MC.

Caution: If you wear leather, street punks may think you're made of money and try to rob you:shock: unless you're riding a big MC, that is...for some reason people seem to keep their distance from biker-types! ;)

-- John D.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Though I have a slightly different reason (i.e. I'm female and many of my suits aren't "suited" to a belt) - I wear a shoulder holster from time to time. I have a Galco shoulder holster, in suede, for my .380. It's comfortable, conceals the weapon when I want it to, under a jacket, and serves the purpose. However, it causes the muzzle to be pointed BEHIND me.

I've seen holsters, including the USMC style, that point the barrel down. My spouse has two - one is a Bianchi and one a Galco - that carry barrel down.

My (limited) experience - it's better than nothing. Here in VA where I have to carry openly in restaurants which serve alcohol, I can at least shrug the jacket off when I go in.

Sitrep

imported post

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Lew - Wear a belt? That's just crazy talk; you're coming straight out of left field with that one. :D

The Holster shirt/ Leather vest idea sounds fairly comfortable, except my gun's a little on the large side, I think. Maybe I just need a smaller gun ... no, I don't think so. (Actually, I have been thinking of getting a .380 or something, but that's still a while off.)

I've thought about a Belly band, but I would think it a bit awkward to get to the gun in an emergency. Someone's threatening my life, and I'm ripping off my shirt. :shock:

Tess - Thanks for your input. The only one I've found for my gun is a Galco that is horizontal. The vertical rigs look nice, they just don't have one for me. Guess I'll need another new gun. :) What is it that you don't like about the muzzle pointing back?

AbNo

imported post

I think it's more of a comfort thing.

SEVERAL years ago, I was talking to a cop with a.... Glock? in a shoulder rig, and it pointed STRAIGHT back from just under his armpit.

I'd prefer not to stand right behind him in line, you know... :lol:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

My husband also has a vest, and carries a full-size 1911. But then he's a big person. I don't know what it might look like on someone smaller.

AbNo has it correct. I just don't like the idea I'm sweeping someone and can't do a thing about it. I have the same problem with concealed carry in my purse. I do it, but I'm not as comfortable as with a belt holster.

Tomahawk

imported post

Tess wrote:
My husband also has a vest, and carries a full-size 1911. But then he's a big person. I don't know what it might look like on someone smaller.

AbNo has it correct. I just don't like the idea I'm sweeping someone and can't do a thing about it. I have the same problem with concealed carry in my purse. I do it, but I'm not as comfortable as with a belt holster.

IIRC, Tess, you were wearing one in IHOP after the last Manassas city council meeting. Tex1n was going to give you some crap about it, but for some reason didn't get the chance...;)

I have a horizontal shoulder holster I got a long time ago, but I don't use it for various reasons, including the hassle of donning and removing it, and the muzzle sweep issue as well. Useful for certain CC scenarios, but I won't ever OC with it, unless I want to do a mobster movie scene.

Sitrep

imported post

I can understand the muzzle sweep issue, but in an IWB holster it is constantly pointed at your leg, or ... whatever. I think you have to rely on your gun not deciding to shoot itself while holstered to a large degree. If you can't trust your gun not to shoot itself, then you might need a different gun or holster design.:)

I would also be a bit uneasy standing behind someone with their holstered gun pointed straight at my chest, or if they are much taller it might be pointed at my face.:shock:

Tomahawk

imported post

Sitrep wrote:
I can understand the muzzle sweep issue, but in an IWB holster it is constantly pointed at your leg, or ... whatever. I think you have to rely on your gun not deciding to shoot itself while holstered to a large degree. If you can't trust your gun not to shoot itself, then you might need a different gun or holster design.:)

I would also be a bit uneasy standing behind someone with their holstered gun pointed straight at my chest, or if they are much taller it might be pointed at my face.:shock:

I don't know what kind of holster you are using, whether I'm carrying IWB or OWB the pistol is pointed down and slightly to the rear. If a discharge were to miraculously occur, I would get a nasty powder burn or maybe a graze on my ass cheek and the bullet would impact the floor or my car seat.

You're right about an accidental discharge being less likely than finding the Pope in a whore house, though.

In any case, I'd rather you point your pistol at your ass then at my chest or face, thank you very much.:)

Sitrep

imported post

I don't mean to imply that IWB or any other holster is always going to have the muzzle pointed at you body parts. (Though that is basically what I said.)

But depending on the holster, gun, and activity you are doing, there may be the possibility that an in-the-holster discharge could take a nasty bite out of your hip. Or at the very least, it could hit me in the foot if I'm standing behind you in line. Granted a foot shot is better than a chest or head shot.

I really don't want my gun pointed at my ass. Not saying your chest or head is a better place for my gun to point.

Your face, my ass, tough call.:lol: