• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another take on reasonable infringement, a.k.a, 'gun control.'

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Gun Control Bill Moves Forward June 13, 2007 02:42 PM ET | Permanent Link

Since the Virginia Tech shootings in April, gun control has gone from being a dirty word on Capitol Hill (and an election loser for Democrats) to a term that may again be worthy of attention.

The House today passed what could be the first gun control law to go on the books since 1994. The bill would improve the current National Instant Background Check System by making states provide better information on criminals and the mentally ill.

While some Republicans and President Bush reaffirmed their unwavering support for the Second Amendment after Seung Hui Cho’s violent rampage that left 32 students and faculty members dead, this legislation was almost unanimously approved in the House. The National Rifle Association was also supportive and said the legislation is not a “gun control” bill because it doesn’t hinder those legally able to buy guns[Emphasis added].

If the bill becomes law, it will be a victory for gun control advocates, who often cite school shootings as evidence of the nation’s gun problem. U.S. News reported in April that the “number, frequency, and death toll for shootings at schools has increased dramatically since the attack at Colorado’s Columbine High School eight years ago” and also provided a list of school shootings dating to 1966. -- Nikki Schwab
Oh what tangled webs - of tortured words and specious logic - we weave when first we practice to deceive. The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$$$$$$$$$$$$

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

to those virginians,
U.S. House of Representatives - June 13, 2007

Mr. MORAN of Virginia. I thank the distinguished Chairman of the Judiciary Committee.

I will vote for this. I was a co-sponsor of this. And certainly Mrs. McCarthy deserves credit for bringing it to the floor.

But I do have concerns as the chairman does. That this needs to be very tightly regulated because it is quite liable to allow thousands of people who should not have access to guns to be able to do so by dropping their mental health treatment.

There are 190,000 veterans who because of their experience in combat have had serious mental illness problems. But it appears that if they drop the treatment that they have been in, they can become eligible to purchase guns. Again much of this is going to be in the regulation and the good judgment of states to make it work properly.

It is not a gun control measure as Mrs. McCarthy stated. It does nothing about the fact that we have hundreds of millions of guns in circulation and tens of thousands of people dying of by those guns, the vast majority are innocent victims every year. More so than in any civilized nation.

It doesn't address issues with regard to the Second Amendment where the Supreme Court has made it clear there is really not a right for individuals to own guns but rather for states to have well regulated militias. These are issues that need to be addressed at some point by our country.

But this bill hopefully will address the very egregious situation where a person, a court had determined to be mentally deranged was allowed access to firearms that he never should have gotten. There are other problems in other states that could have allowed such a thing to happen. Hopefully this bill will clean up this record keeping system with the sufficient resources made available.

Again, Mr. Speaker, this Congress ought not be allowing people to buy assault weapons, 50 caliber sniper rifles, and weapons that clearly are used for military purposes not for purposes of recreational hunting.

Mr. Chairman, this bill will pass unanimously and at this point it should. Thank you.

I'm thinking some virginians need to let mr. moran know the truth of things.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

DKSuddeth wrote:
I'm thinking some virginians need to let mr. moran know the truth of things.
True, but the way to do that is to vote him out. He doesn't want to hear logic or truth.

I'm confident I'm not the only one determined to show him the error of his ways. I simply hope there are enough of us.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Nope not going to happen in the 8th. The district is so gerrymandered and with Morans spotty track record he could get reelected if he did get caught with the proverbial 'dead girl/ live boy' situation. Think of him as I do, as the Virginia version of Marion Barry.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
longwatch wrote:
Think of him as I do, as the Virginia version of Marion Barry.
You're being a little rough on Mayor Crack-Barry, don't ya think?
They are just brothers from different mothers, I tell ya, although Marion has a lot more personality and isn't as mean.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

longwatch wrote:
Nope not going to happen in the 8th. The district is so gerrymandered and with Morans spotty track record he could get reelected if he did get caught with the proverbial 'dead girl/ live boy' situation. Think of him as I do, as the Virginia version of Marion Barry.
Now there's a good suggestion. I'd never compared, but I have to agree with you.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Citizen wrote:
longwatch wrote:
Nope not going to happen in the 8th.  The district is so gerrymandered and with Morans spotty track record he could get reelected if he did get caught with the proverbial 'dead girl/ live boy' situation.  Think of him as I do, as the Virginia version of Marion Barry.
Now there's a good suggestion.  I'd never compared, but I have to agree with you.

I don't know. Barry is more articulate and a lot more cagey.

Age and treachery will always win out over youth and ability.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
I don't know. Barry is more articulate and a lot more cagey.

Age and treachery will always win out over youth and ability.
I heard him on a radio newspot this evening. He's starting to sounda little like Ozzie Osbourne without the cuss words--slurred speech. Just enough to notice.