• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Woman, Father Gunned Down Outside Mall

danbus

imported post

Woman, Father Gunned Down Outside Mall
Police Search for Suspect Previously Arrested for Stalking

AP

APMichael James Young Jr., seen in a June 5 police photo, allegedly shot a woman and her father outside a mall.

COLUMBIA, S.C. (June 14) -- A woman and her father were gunned down outside a suburban mall by a man accused of stalking the woman, police said. Authorities were still searching for the shooter.

The shooting happened around 6:45 p.m. Wednesday in the parking lot in front of the mall 's main entrance, Columbia Police Chief Dean Crisp said.

Michael James Young Jr. confronted the woman at the mall , then followed her into the parking lot, where he shot the woman and her father, Crisp said.

Young was free on a $75,000 (?56,000) bond after being arrested June 5 and charged with stalking the woman.

Robert Bell, 49, was shot several times and died at the scene, while his daughter was taken to the hospital, where she was able to talk to investigators, authorities said. Police have not released the woman's name.

Her condition was not known late Wednesday.

Young, 21, was last seen driving away in a green Honda Accord, police said.

Columbiana Centre is the anchor of one of Columbia's busiest retail centers. The mall has more than 110 stores.

The mall remained open after the shooting, officials said.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
2007-06-14 01:11:43

And they say "why do you need a gun at the mall?".

dng

State Researcher
imported post

By "they" you must be referring to my wife. She doesn't like me to carry in the mall. :idea:Maybe this is a good story for her to read!

tarzan1888

imported post

dngreer wrote:
By "they" you must be referring to my wife. She doesn't like me to carry in the mall. :idea:Maybe this is a good story for her to read!

Don't forget that Mall in Utah earlier this year when the Muslim shot all those people.

That event helped change my wile's views on me packing.

Good Luck.

Our revolving Judicial System. :cuss:

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

This is a perfect exampleto illustrate why carrying afirearm in publicplaces is quite justifiable. Violence of this type can happen almost anywhere.

I swear it would behoove women who were being stalked (or anyone protecting them) to be armed with a gun. The shooter is in custody now.

2 arrested in South Carolina mall parking lot shooting

Thursday, June 14, 2007

COLUMBIA, S.C. - A man accused of repeatedly harassing and stalking his estranged wife before shooting her and slaying her father at a Columbia shopping mall was arrested Thursday, police said.

Michael James Young Jr., 21, was arrested a day after the shootings as his family and friends tried to persuade him to turn himself in, said police Chief Dean Crisp. Charges against Young were not immediately available.

Young had been harassing 21-year-old Shaunna Lynn Bell for about a month before Wednesday night's shootings: police records show he approached her at the mall kiosk where she worked and threatened to damage her parents' car. He was arrested June 5 and charged with stalking her, but freed on $75,000 bail and ordered not to have contact with her.

Authorities said Young confronted Bell on Wednesday evening in a suburban Columbia mall, then followed her outside to a parking lot where her father was waiting and shot them both.

The father, Robert Bell, 49, of Gaston, died at the scene and his daughter was taken to a hospital, where she told investigators who shot her, authorities said.

She was in stable condition at an area hospital Thursday, Crisp said.

The same day as the shootings, she told police Young was harassing her over the telephone. Police were in the process of getting arrest warrants on those charges when Bell and his daughter were shot, Crisp said.

"We did all the we could do in the matter, and the courts did, and we're certainly going to look at our situation," Crisp said, when asked if a stiffer bail could have prevented the shootings.

Earlier Thursday, police also arrested a man they said drove Young away from the shootings. Brian Christian Leagones, 21, has been charged with obstruction of justice and accessory to murder.

Leagones was being held at the Lexington County jail, police said.

http://www.thetandd.com/articles/2007/06/14/ap-state-sc/d8pop64o0.txt

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

I wonder if this young woman had known what he was capable of?

Especially since she had received calls on the phone earlier, if this was at home, she probably should have stayed there until he was back in custody.

However, it seems unavoidable, even if he had been let out for stalking charges in a few months, he probably would have committed this same crime.

What if this woman was in the process of getting a CCW, or something of the like, it would have been a good point to speed up this process.

Wonder why he shot her father as well - just an act of rage and hostility towards him?

Does anyone know if the female was caucasian? If so this might answer a few questions for me, well at least why the father was killed.

Lew

imported post

HankT wrote:
...He was arrested June 5 and charged with stalking her, but freed on $75,000 bail and ordered not to have contact with her....

Well, that worked. What a shame.

tarzan1888

imported post

openryan wrote:
...Does anyone know if the female was caucasian? If so this might answer a few questions for me, well at least why the father was killed.

It doesn't really matter whattheir ethnicity is. I am a Dad, He is a Dad. Dad's protect their children, or try to, with their life if necessary.

We may find out that his presence ended up saving her.

It says in 1 Timothy 5:8 "But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel."

Her Father was trying to provide protection for his daughter and died doing so.

We should honor him in his effort.

We must always be vigilant, and carry and protect. Oh but if he had been armed. :cry:

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Not by anymeans trying to play a race card here at all, I was thinking maybe the man was hostile toward his father because he was biased towards him because of race maybe?

tarzan1888

imported post

openryan wrote:
Not by anymeans trying to play a race card here at all, I was thinking maybe the man was hostile toward his father because he was biased towards him because of race maybe?

Didn't think you were, I was looking at it from the Dad's side and him protecting his daughter.

Sorry if I gave you that impression.

Legba

imported post

Ohio does have an emergency concealed carry permit, where some proximate threat can be demonstrated (I think getting a TRO is sufficient - not sure). It'd be nice if that were available everywhere. It's still directly administered by the Sheriff's office though, so I doubt any businesss opportunities exist for that niche.

-ljp