• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Zen and the Art of Forum Maintenance

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Well you gotta wonder about him with 1004 posts I haven't seen a single OC experience.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

longwatch wrote:
Well you gotta wonder about him with 1004 posts I haven't seen a single OC experience.

There are 1,813 members here. Longwatch, how many of them do you estimate OC?

And of the 1813 members, how many have postedan OC experience?

What do you think, longwatch?

longwatch

imported post

HankT wrote:
longwatch wrote:

Not very much about someone who doesn't have what it takes to exercise their rights.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

longwatch wrote:
HankT wrote:
longwatch wrote:

Not very much about someone who doesn't have what it takes to exercise their rights.

I mean about the 1,813 members. How many of them do you think OC?

And how many have posted an OC experience?

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Bob,

+10000000000000

Hank,

It's really easy, just answer some questions. Do you open carry? Yes or No.

When is the MMM/OCDO debate you are scheduling? Time and place.

Really easy, you would think someone with your vocabulary could answer two simple questions. Here, Ill show you how.

"Well, Brian, I do not open carry"

"I am not scheduling anything, I only pontificate on how things should be done, I don't actually do anything"

See, I even used the bold type and neat little italic letters like you like. Its easy.

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HankT wrote:
longwatch wrote:

Of the members with over 1000 posts I would estimate 99% of them have posted an OC experience.

Tomahawk

imported post

yawn.gif

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HankT wrote:
Reverend73 wrote:
Bob,

+10000000000000

Hank,

It's really easy, just answer some questions. Do you open carry? Yes or No.

Funny you should ask. Here's a thread BobCav started a few weeks ago.

Does HankT Actually Open Carry? Poll

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum7/2734.html

Not very many people were interested, actually.

Have you voted, yet Reverend73? :monkey
Voting is closed. I would have voted NO. Please set me straight and answer the question. YES or NO. I'm very interested. I also realize you will just avoid the question again.

Well I was wrong, voting was not closed. I just voted no. Care to answer my questions.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Reverend73 wrote:
...SNIP

Of the members with over 1000 posts I would estimate 99% of them have posted an OC experience.

I have personally SEEN a number with less than 1000 OCing, and in passing most people have mentioned one or two experiences generally on the forum.

However, this is not the question that was ORIGINALLY before the thread, is it. The fact is, it is impolite not to allow a person that was asked a question to answer it before he asks one of his own.

But it takes courage to participate in meetings, and it take courage to answer questions that reveal truth. It is that missing character trait that will prevent the questions from being answered.

Hank if you are afraid you will lose credibility with your answers, don't be. At this point that can't happen.

Regards

longwatch

imported post

Reverend73 wrote:
HankT wrote:
longwatch wrote:

Lets see we have 7 members with over 1000 posts. Me, yes I OC; Mike, I've seen him OC; LEO229 he says he has and for his job of course; BobCav, I've seen OC; Hawkflyer has a OC post or 3; VAOpencarry, I have seen OC; HankT????

casullshooter

imported post

I do not remember the source of the quote but it has been said that ........"a true friend walks in the door as others are walking out."

The above referring to BobCavs mention of friends on this forum .

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

longwatch wrote:
Reverend73 wrote:
HankT wrote:
longwatch wrote:

Lets see we have 7 members with over 1000 posts. Me, yes I OC; Mike, I've seen him OC; LEO229 he says he has and for his job of course; BobCav, I've seen OC; Hawkflyer has a OC post or 3; VAOpencarry, I have seen OC; HankT????
No, I mean of the 1,813 members. All of them. How many of those 1,813 OC, longwatch? And how many of the 1,813 have posted an OC experience?

BTW, is there some special rule that you've just now created for members with over 1000 posts? Some requirement or something? :?

longwatch

imported post

HankT wrote:
longwatch wrote:
Reverend73 wrote:
HankT wrote:
longwatch wrote:

No, I mean of the 1,813 members. All of them. How many of those 1,813 OC, longwatch? And how many of the 1,813 have posted an OC experience?

BTW, is there some special rule that you've just now created for members with over 1000 posts? Some requirement or something? :?
In case you missed it this forum is dedicated to opencarry, I would think that someone who would invest the time to make over 1000 posts would have written about one occassion where they actually did open carry. It goes to your credibility in my eyes. At this point I've decided I just don't get why you are here, it doesn't seem to be for a positive purpose.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HankT wrote:
...SNIP

OBJECTION! Point of order. There is already a question before the forum. We will do an audit after you answer the questions already put to you.

That is how communication works. You ask a question, then we answer, we ask a question then YOU answer. You have lost count, and are going out of turn. It's called civil discourse.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

BobCav wrote:
Received from HankT via PM:

_____Original Message_____
Date: 2007-06-14 19:03:07
Subject: Maybe You Can Review What You've Written

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=3054&forum_id=4&jump_to=42425#p42425

Bob, you're embarassing yourself. That's not good for you. Nor is it good for the forum.

HankT

How pathetic.

Actually no, I'm not "embarrassed" at all.... If I had the ability to ban you, I would this instant for the betterment of the whole.

I'm curious, Bob. What would be your basis for doing so? Just because?

Here are all the threads I've started on this forum:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_user.php?id=1225&topics_started=1

In all these threads, I've take time to find articles or to think up questions that would be good for people to read. Any anti stuff in there??

You somehow think I am always negative, but a quick and easy search I did just now produces these examples (there are many more) of comments by me:

===============================================================
Thanks for the cite, dubccat51. Looks like a very good resource.

Last edited on Tue Jun 12th, 2007 09:45 pm by HankT

[url]http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=2847&forum_id=41&jump_to=41986#p41986[/url]

Seriously, that's an exemplar for handling that kind of situation, with the details as described, Tomahawk.

I agree with longwatch. Road rage situations are to be avoided if at all possible. Don't let the guy rent space in your head for nothing.

[url]http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=2988&forum_id=60&highlight=exemplar[/url]

molonlabetn wrote:
... last stop was Hastings to exchange ...
He didn't say another word or make eye-contact with anybody as he checked everyone out, in (the now very long) line. I didn't intend to embarrass the guy, he brought it on himself... It was pretty obvious that everyone else in the store, within ear-shot, thought he was out of line....

Very well handled, molonlabetn.

[url]http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum50/2824.html[/url]

Given your position and objectives, I think you did an excellent job, danbus. Very effective and methodical. Textbook procedure.

I would write a formal letter to Customer Relations/Services (addressed to a specific executive/director) with a cc to that corporate guy in Bentonville that gets cited here occasionally.

Excellent write-up, also. You even qualified it as "MY side of the story." That's quality work.

[url]http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/2705.html[/url]

That's a nice idea, to carry a card with a memorable and clear reply to what may be a typical question from a member of the public. I'm assuming you mean open carry.

My comments are as follows.

1.: Why reference "neighbors?" The first two entities are easy to comprehend. "Neighbors" requires an explanation.

2. This one is mostly contained within number 1. The reference to "duty... of arms ownership" is vague or somewhat misplaced because, AFAIK, no one has a "duty" to own arms in this country.

3.: Sounds good, altough the "other people" might not inclued, say, antis. I think you really just want to

The closing lines are nice. Unless you give the card to a CCer.

Looks good, except I don't quite understand the "only legitimate law" entry. Bne thing for sure--it says you cannot use your gun to responsibly defend against a threat of extreme harm or death. I'm sure you don't want to say that...

Again, a nice idea. Good luck with it.
[url]http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum7/311-5.html[/url]

=================================================

And finally, since you posted a PM I sent to you to make a point, I'll assume that it's OK for me to do the same thing. Here's a series of 3 PMsbetween you and mefrom just 3 weeks ago.All the stuff youcited above happened before thesePMs. Were you truthful then? Now? Both? Have a Sam Adams and chill, Bob. Here they are:

Date: 2007-05-24 12:01:43
Subject: Re: OC Thread

Hi Hank,

Yes, I got your reply and thank you for it. I've been very busy at home and work lately. I'm glad you took the thread in the light it was intended and it looks like I outed myself! lol...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can hold your own; you have thus far! Disagreeing is fine, we're two different people and likely have completely different backgrounds so that's to be expected. That is also our strength as a forum. What a boring place it would be if we all agreed with one another and had nothing to share but news clippings....

I don't like censorship one bit either and that's the reason I came to like OCDO so much. Almost any topic is good, and we often get into politics because it's so closely related to guns and the laws and legislators that feel they have to control them. Mention politics in the wrong forum on THR and you'll get your hand smacked and promptly edited. They're too big for their britches over there.

_____really is a great guy. I've met him many times at the VCDL meetings and he's not all that bad. Opinionated? Brusque? (lol) Harsh at times? Yep, just like the rest of us, but he's been at this a long time, as has Mike.

Like I said, I think you're just laughing your ass off at everyone that's dying to know if you really OC!! It really doesn't matter as____ said. When you first came here, none of us thought you carried at all, let alone OC'ed and I think some of that is what's still prevailing.

Have a great day and talk to you soon.

Regards,
Bob

Date: 2007-05-23 22:23:15
Subject: Re: OC Thread

Bob, thanks for your kind note.

I don't mind. It's kind of fun to bat ideas back and forth, even weird tangential fluff like that. I don't take myself too seriously. Of course, I take some of my ideas quite seriously.

In either case, I think I can hold my own, don't you think?

And, really, I only try to make my point, instigate some thought, but not try to get into the personal attack realm of rhetoric. But, just as you like venting and letting all your brusqueness (lol) come out, I love pushing a point for consideration that everyone else is trying to ignore. But only if it is meaningful to do so. I think I've been the recipient of a couple of personal attacks but I don't take it personally. I usually just ignore it and push on some other fun point, like longwatch.

I took it as a light-hearted humorous deal. But thanks very much for touching base with me. Let it roll, I say. We can all have a bit of fun with it. And I enjoy your posts, too, of course. I disagree with you quite a bit. But, hey, I'm here to learn. I've learned a hell of a lot at OCDC and I like the way it's run. Maximum freedom, minimum censorship. You guys, incl. JP & MS do a fine job on a fine forum.

Again, Bob, I appreciate your kind concern. For a hot head, you're considerate softie. Don't worry, I won't out you.

Hank

Date: 2007-05-23 19:30:15
Subject: OC Thread

Hey Hank,

My sense of humor in creating the thread about you OC'ing was not meant to isolate or offend you and if it has, I offer my sincere apologies, that was not the intent.

A lot of people have been bugging you on the subject and this was merely a light hearted attempt to take that focus out of the individual threads where it is distracting from the original topics and put it all in one place. If you wish, just say the word, and I'll delete it completely and I'll offer you a public apology.

And I did mean what I said in the thread, I do enjoy your posts and having you here, even if you do tend to poke the bear sometimes. All too often that's exactly what we need.

Just let me know either way.

Regards,
Bob