Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Use gun locks? Watch an 11 year old take them apart.

  1. #1
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Fauquier Co, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,297

    Post imported post


  2. #2
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    Not trying to lessen the importance of quality gun locks.

    But I am wondering how many children shot each other in the 1800's and early 1900's?

    I think the parenting needs to be improved, gun locks pale in comparison if proper parenting was in force.

  3. #3
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Fauquier Co, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,297

    Post imported post

    I feel that locks weren't as necessary in the old days because the firearms were more likely to be 'in use' for lack of a better term.


  4. #4
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    In use, as in always on their person?

    But I think a big part of this is neglect by parents to educate their children about guns, guns, sex, drugs are all big parts of television, music and all sorts of media, while I believe this is totally allowable, I think the parents have a responsiblity to teach these things in moderation and to be used responsibly.



  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806

    Post imported post

    That's uh...

    That's pretty crazy. And I thought the piece of limp plastic that came with the 995 I picked up last week was a flimsy lock...

    Not that I need a lock, living alone.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

  6. #6
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ocean Shores, WA
    Posts
    593

    Post imported post

    I'm glad he showed me how to do that in case some fool ever puts a lock on one of my guns. :P

    LoveMyCountry

  7. #7
    Regular Member Kevin108's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Portsmouth, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    353

    Post imported post

    Obviously they need to include ice pick locks as well. :P

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , , USA
    Posts
    469

    Post imported post

    All a gun lock does is keep honest people honest.

  9. #9
    Regular Member doug23838's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    302

    Post imported post

    LoveMyCountry wrote:
    I'm glad he showed me how to do that in case some fool ever puts a lock on one of my guns. :P

    LoveMyCountry
    I was thinking the same thing.



    ....possession of an icepick by a minor in a home where firearms are secured with trigger locks shall be a felony.Failure of parents to not properly secure all icepicks in a lock box, where a minor child could use the aforementioned icepick to defeat a trigger lock shall constitute reckless endangerment of a child.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Mag-bayonettes!, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,407

    Post imported post

    It's good enough for our resident LEO... <wink>

    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...o=47316#p47316
    -Unrequited

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Warrenton, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    12

    Post imported post

    openryan wrote:
    Not trying to lessen the importance of quality gun locks.

    But I am wondering how many children shot each other in the 1800's and early 1900's?

    I think the parenting needs to be improved, gun locks pale in comparison if proper parenting was in force.
    Exactly, I always knew where my dads gun was. He taught me the importance of gun safety at an early age. I knew better than to take it out and play with it.
    [img]chrome://piclens/content/launch.png[/img][img]chrome://piclens/content/launch.png[/img]

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chester, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    451

    Post imported post

    ChefSMW wrote:
    openryan wrote:
    Not trying to lessen the importance of quality gun locks.

    But I am wondering how many children shot each other in the 1800's and early 1900's?

    I think the parenting needs to be improved, gun locks pale in comparison if proper parenting was in force.
    Exactly, I always knew where my dads gun was. He taught me the importance of gun safety at an early age. I knew better than to take it out and play with it.
    [img]chrome://piclens/content/launch.png[/img][img]chrome://piclens/content/launch.png[/img]
    Yeah. I was never that stupid,either.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,882

    Post imported post

    I would have gotten into them if pop had any. I was a rotten bastard of a kid. Glad to report that I'm completely reformed now, though...

    -ljp

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Auburn, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    797

    Post imported post

    ChefSMW wrote:
    openryan wrote:
    Not trying to lessen the importance of quality gun locks.

    But I am wondering how many children shot each other in the 1800's and early 1900's?

    I think the parenting needs to be improved, gun locks pale in comparison if proper parenting was in force.
    Exactly, I always knew where my dads gun was. He taught me the importance of gun safety at an early age. I knew better than to take it out and play with it.
    [img]chrome://piclens/content/launch.png[/img][img]chrome://piclens/content/launch.png[/img]
    Same here.

  15. #15
    State Researcher .40 Cal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    COTEP FOREVER!, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    1,379

    Post imported post

    doug23838 wrote:
    ....possession of an icepick by a minor in a home where firearms are secured with trigger locks shall be a felony.Failure of parents to not properly secure all icepicks in a lock box, where a minor child could use the aforementioned icepick to defeat a trigger lock shall constitute reckless endangerment of a child.
    I agree. in fact, I propose all screwdrivers,punches and files be included. We need to make our homes safe again. Every one of theafore mentioned devices must be registered with your local state and federal authority, as well as with the nearest representative of the UN in case you decide to go abroad. We need to put anend to the senseless use of theseevil products ofpsychotic potential!

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Huntsville, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    255

    Post imported post

    You should see the lock that came with my Kahr. It was evident that Kahr thought they were a joke and were including them for compliance. It was a piece of plastic that slides behind the trigger and secures with a small metal pin and tiny luggage type lock.

    Most of the guns I've purchased came with the red cable ones that go up through the mag well. Also a joke.

    If you really want to secure your guns, a vault / safe is the only way.

  17. #17
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    soloban wrote:
    You should see the lock that came with my Kahr. It was evident that Kahr thought they were a joke and were including them for compliance. It was a piece of plastic that slides behind the trigger and secures with a small metal pin and tiny luggage type lock.

    Most of the guns I've purchased came with the red cable ones that go up through the mag well. Also a joke.

    If you really want to secure your guns, a vault / safe is the only way.
    Who are you trying to secure them from is the question, if it is your children, which is often a reason why gun locks are used... try educating them, putting them in a safe or vault for that reason alone, can be very effective, but one did their job as a parent, well then a safe would be unecessary for that reason alone.

    Vaults/Safe are also very often a false sense of security, most of the stuff you can buy at a local store is pretty garbage, really only good if your home catches fire or the theives in your area are lazy and easily discouraged.

    Plus, why do you need a vault when you have a gun!?

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Huntsville, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    255

    Post imported post

    I totally agree with you about the education thing. We had over a dozen guns in the house when my brothers and I were growing up. They sat in his closet and nothing ever happened to us. Dad let us shoot them and taught us how to handle them safely so it never was an issuse.

    The point I was trying to make is that locks merely slow people down. Kids need to be educated about them so they coolness factor isn't there.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806

    Post imported post

    openryan wrote:
    Plus, why do you need a vault when you have a gun!?
    [/quote]

    For when you're not home, I'd venture.

    I honestly wouldn't mind having some place to store my heaters other than my range bag, my nightstand, and.... somewhere else.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

  20. #20
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,350

    Post imported post

    Yeah, +1 to everyone who said some variant of "raise your children right" and you wont have a problem. Those stupid locks are for nothing more than compliance with the law. the only "gun lock" I have that does any good is a long rubber-coated masterlock that goes through the action on my Model 70 rifle. It keeps the bolt from being inserted...but, of course, anyone with a pair of bolt cutters could snap that off in a jiffy (I might have to, soon, if I don't find that key ).

    I have a 7 yr old boy living in the house with me (g/f's), and when I first started bringing guns in the house he was all curious and wide-eyed. I would come in almost every day with my pistol on my hip, and most of the time would unholster and set it next to the couch where I would sit. At first he would he ask to see it once in a while, and I would clear it, hand it to him, remind him how to clear it, and let him be curious. At this point he really doesn't care about my guns unless we're gonna go shoot 'em. He's seen 'em already, and knows that he CAN see him whenever he wants to if he just asks.

    *(NOT THAT I DO THIS)*, but I am 100% confident that I could leave any one of my guns lying around the house with him unattended (i.e. him in the living room playing video games and me in the shower) and he would not so much as touch it. If for some odd reason he had to move it, or it fell and he picked it up, he would come running to me as soon as I got out and say "I'm sorry I had to touch your gun but I bumped into it and I didn't want it to fall of the table..I'm SORRY!!!" lol.

    I don't need to lock my guns up for him. I do, though, since it's the law :?. When I'm not in the house the guns are locked up for theft deterrence, but that's about it. Living in an apartment has made it a little difficult to develop a "secure" environment, but there's quite a few surprises layin around for anyone dumb enough to break in lol. (oh, and I know laying traps is illegal and can get me sued even by a robber...that's not what I'm talking about lol.)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •