Thread: Pa Permit

Post imported post

I have seen it posted here and a few other boards I read that a Pa resident MUST have a Pa permit to carry, and without the Pa permit, any other permit you may have is not any good.

Now, without getting into all the hoop-la that's going on right now with non-res permits in Pa, can someone please show me the law that states that a Pa resident MUST carry on a Pa permit, cause for the life of me I can't find anything that states that.

Post imported post

Could you specify whether you mean open or concealed carry?

As I understand PA laws:
    1) Anyone over 18 may OPENLY carry
    A) a commonly-accepted handgun (i.e. no sawed-off shotguns) ;
    B) on foot;
    C) anywhere in PA (except Philadelphia);
    D) WITHOUT any permit;
    E) as long as you're not prohibited from possessing a handgun to start with.
    2) Anyone over 18 may OPENLY carry in a MOTOR VEHICLE
    A) a handgun;
    B) anywhere in PA;
    C) with only a permit to carry firearms from ANY state.
    3) Anyone over 18 may OPENLY carry
    A) a handgun;
    B) on foot;
    C) in all of PA, including Philly;
    D) with at least one of the following:
    i) PA resident permit
    ii) PA non-resident permit
    iii) resident permit from a state with which PA share reciprocacy
    iv) non-resident permit from a reciprocal state?
    4) Anyone (not sure of age limit, but assuming 18) may CONCEALED carry in PA
    A) a handgun
    B) in a vehicle or on foot;
    C) anywhere in PA;
    D) with at least one of the following:
    i) PA resident permit
    ii) PA non-resident permit
    iii) resident permit from a state with which PA share reciprocacy
    iv) non-resident permit from a reciprocal state?
    5) PA currently has reciprocacy agreements with FL, GA, KY, MI, NH, NC, TX, & WY.

But I'm certainly not an expert or anything... but I believe what I said is accurate.

Post imported post

I meant to add that I used capital letters to emphasize the differences between different categories... I wasn't yelling

Post imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
    Could you specify whether you mean open or concealed carry?
    sorry, meant concealed........and your answer is what i understand the laws to be as well, I.E. I am a Pa resident, but do NOT have a PA permit, I have a FL permit. That said according to some it would be illegal to conceal with the fl permit because i don't have a pa permit.......I have never seen any law that says that....matter of fact i find just the opposite.... http://www.pafoa.org/concealed-carry

Concealed Carry

Pennsylvania, like most states requires people to have permit to carry a concealed firearm as regulated by the following statute:

PCS Title 18, Chapter 61, Subchapter A, 6106

(a) Offense defined.--Any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.
    This license can be in the form of Pennsylvania's "License To Carry Firearms" (LTCF) or a permit issued by another state that Pennsylvania recognizes as valid through a reciprocity agreement.

Post imported post

I haven't seen any laws like that either... But pending how much legal BS you feel like putting yourself through if "caught," I believe that ultimately, if you're not doing something clearly illegal, you can't be convicted.

Then again... being surrounded by New York, New Jersey, Ohio, and Maryland, I knew PA would begin to assimilate sooner or later.

Post imported post

See the thread: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum46/2909.html

The PA AG has set forth an opinion stating in so many words that permits issued to non-residents“may” not be honored by some jurisdictions. The statute does not make any distinction between resident and non-resident; although, the reciprocity agreement has some subtle wording indicating resident permits only.

The reciprocity agreement does state in a whereas clause:

WHEREAS, the purpose of this Reciprocity Agreement is to extend reciprocal concealed firearm carry permit/license privileges to the citizens of[/i] the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the State of Florida,

The actual enabling language as follows:

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania will recognize valid Florida licenses to carry concealed firearms by valid Florida permit holders while said permit holders are present in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. (so far so good, but then)
    This Reciprocity Agreement applies only to the carrying of firearms as defined and authorized by the applicable statutes of Pennsylvania by valid license/permit holders from the respective states and not to any other types of weapons.
    The AG's opinion hinges on the words "license/permit holders from the respective states". The AG is pointing out a distinction between, "permit holders from the respective states" as opposed to, "permits from the respective states". The latter I believe would definitely allow non-resident permits, unfortunately that is not the wording used.

This Reciprocity Agreement applies only to the carrying of firearms as defined and authorized by the applicable statutes of Pennsylvania by valid license/permit holders from the respective states and not to any other types of weapons.

The AG's opinoin hinges on the words "license/permit holders from the respective states". The AG is pointing out a distiction between, "permit holders from the respective states" as opposed to, "permits from the respective states". The latter I beleive would definately allow non-resident permits, unfortunately that is not the wording used.

Post imported post

chesire17201 wrote:
    This license can be in the form of Pennsylvania's "License To Carry Firearms" (LTCF) or a permit issued by another state that Pennsylvania recognizes as valid through a reciprocity agreement.
    But the validity of the FL license is in question because the holder of the FL permit is a PA resident, not a FL resident. For the $ 20 bucks or so I would play it safe and get the PA permit and argue the finer points at your leisure.

State Researcher

Post imported post

The issue is now resolved: the PA AG updated his reciprocity site this evening to clarify that nonresident permits issued by any of PA's reciprocal states will be recognized. This update also shows several states to which PA has expanded reciprocity without a formal agreement under section 6106(b)(15). See http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=184
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

Post imported post

WVCDL wrote:
    The issue is now resolved: the PA AG updated his reciprocity site this evening to clarify that nonresident permits issued by any of PA's reciprocal states will be recognized. This update also shows several states to which PA has expanded reciprocity without a formal agreement under section 6106(b)(15). See http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=184
    Thank you very much for that.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

WVCDL wrote:
    And besides this clarification, remember, the PA Uniform Firearms Act merely requires that to open or conceal carry in vehicles, the person have a carry permit issued by "any" state.

This means that, inter alia, an 18 year old with a NH permit can carry in vehicles in PA.