• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC With LCF in PA on a Motorcycle

Carnes

imported post

I live in a town here in PA where there is a large amount ofmotorcycle (MC)activity, including an annual event that draws an increasingly large number of interstateMC enthusiasts.

I have two questions regarding OC while on a MC. Because OC on a MC is so obvious to onlookers, I suspect that doing this will draw some type of (possibly negative) attention at some point; especially during an event involving a large number of motorcyclists.

Ipossess a License to Carry Firearms in PA. As I understand it, I should be able to carry my weapon visibly without an issue, even on a motorcycle.

Question 1: Are there any known or suspected issues regardingOC witha pistol while operating a MC?

Question2: Are there any known or suspected issues regardingOC with along-rifle, or assault rifle, such as an AR-15, while operating a MC?

Sub-Question: I am aware that the statutes against Disorderly Conduct and Terrorists Threats will (should) not apply to this. I am aware that there is no PA law regarding "brandishing a weapon" however, is there any known substance to the 'threat' of my OCing in regard to a potential, "Disturbing the Peace" charge?

imperialism2024

imported post

In regard to the second question, it was my understanding that the only way to carry a long gun on a MC is OC... just make sure it's unloaded. I've seen it several times around the Lehigh Valley, and I've heard from a friend that that is the recommendation of the police to do that, for what it's worth.

But, using the proper definition, you cannot carry an "assault rifle" in public anyway, since by definition it is a selective-fire carbine, and would thus fall under the Class 3 category. However, you probably confused the term with "assault weapon", the term that in its current usage is used and exploited by the anti-gun crowd to eliminate all guns that they consider to look scary. If it was an honest mistake, I understand, given all the anti-gun BS spewed by the media. But if you feel that "assault rifle" or "assault weapon" is an appropriate way to describe your AR-15, please read my tirade:

The "assault" descriptive is used to assume that the only purpose you have for your AR-15 is to "assault" schoolyards full of children with it. A further point of concern with this term is that it is used to confuse the general public into believing that the firearms covered under the Assault Weapons Ban are automatic firearms when, in fact, they are semi-automatic. The sheeple imagine you going into a gun store, asking for an "assault weapon", and then walking out 30 minutes later and firing hundreds of rounds from a belt-fed machine gun into the nearest elementary school. To the sheeple, surely the good politicians must ban all guns that look scary, because all guns that look scary but be used for evil purposes, they conclude.

To me at least, and I'm sure this isn't viewed the same way by most pro-gun people, the term "assault weapon" is severely offensive. I feel it's kind of like the "n*gger" of firearms vocabulary; it is a term that symbolizes the oppression of gun owners and represents systematic discrimination against anyone who wishes to purchase a gun that doesn't have a 28" barrel with a wooden stock.

A long rifle is a long rifle. If it is a carbine, it is either still a legally classified long rifle, or a gun too short for non-LEOs to possess. So, an AR-15 that is legal for sale to non-LEOs is a long rifle regardless. Call it a rifle, a carbine, semi-automatic, even military-style... just please don't call it an "assault rifle" or "assault weapon". "Assualt rifles" are selective-fire carbines that are never legal to publicly carry in the US and are used primarily by the military. "Assault weapon" is a term used almost exclusively in the US and was invented by the anti-gun crowd as a way to strip rights from gun owners.

:cuss:

Ok, tirade over now. Sorry about that, it's just one of those issues that sets me off...

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

You can OC or CC in/on vehicles, inlcuding motorcycles, in PA, provided you have a LTCF or CHP from "any" state, regardless of whether PA officially accepts the LTCF or CHP generally.

Long guns in/on vehicles must be unloaded, but no LTCF or CHP is required to possesses long guns in/on vehicles in PA.

I am unaware of any machine gun carry restrictions in PA, but this is far outside the scope of this board.

Bolt06

imported post

CarnesI would advise being careful not so much of the weapon or drawing bad attention, but (heaven forbid) you get into an accident.. i was in an accident and a cell phone broke my femur sending the bone through my knee.. if there is a way to have a holster attached to your bike... just in case.. (justan opinion..)

Steve in PA

imported post

1) No issues.

2) Techinally, no issues as long as the long gun is unloaded.

Question? Just how would you plan on carrying the long gun, just strap it on your bacK? This method is sure to get you a lot of attention. And while it may be legal, it owuld not be the best choice. Now, throwing the rifle into a padded case and then strapping it on would be a better choice.

3) Some people, including police, like to throw around the DC charge for anyone carrying openly. However, nothing in the DC law fits or pertains to the open carry of weapons. Open carry is a legal, legitimate act of the person and therefore just because some sees your weaponry and gets scared, doesn't mean you did anything wrong.

Carnes

imported post

Thanks guys,

I was referring to Regular or "Military Style"Long Rifles, not "Assault Rifles." Thanks for setting me straight on that noob mistake.

The laws are always interesting... Now I am picturing this big, crusty, scary looking guy on a 'hog' with a Desert Eagle strapped to his hip, and a big saddle holster attached to his front forks with a shotgun inside. (not my plan by any means-just a thought)

If a cell phone can break a femur, I can only imagine how catastrophic the injury could be with a firearm.

I don't plan to take any of this too far. I 'may' OC an event or two during the MC-fest. PrimarilyI just like to have good knowledge on hand.

I am still not clear on one last bit:

Is there a law regarding Disturbing the Peace? Is that just another way of saying Disorderly Conduct? Or are they separate things? If they are separate, could Disturbing the Peace be used against an OCer?

Thanks much.

tes151

imported post

Don't worry, there are a lot of gun owners in York. I don't think too many would even care if you are open carrying. Some would probably think you might be LE.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Open carry on a motorcycle may get you into a lot of trouble. This guy looks like he's paying the price. :celebrate

Motorcycle1.jpg

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

Bolt06 wrote:
CarnesI would advise being careful not so much of the weapon or drawing bad attention, but (heaven forbid) you get into an accident.. i was in an accident and a cell phone broke my femur sending the bone through my knee.. if there is a way to have a holster attached to your bike... just in case.. (justan opinion..)

http://www.sandssalesco.com/
The Road Warrior system offers a secure, locking, adjustable, easy access to your favorite handgun while you ride. Adjustable for height and pitch, each holster mounting system can be customized to fit your particular needs. It is manufactured in the U.S.A. and is available for most popularhandguns.

LoveMyCountry