• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What's up at gun shows? Feds short of agents to patrol U.S. gun shows

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0615guntrafficking0615.html
MEXICO CITY - Federal authorities do not have enough agents to regularly patrol gun shows, a major source for U.S. weapons used in Mexico's drug wars, a top official said Thursday during a visit to the Mexican capital. Mexican officials have complained bitterly about how easy it is to buy firearms from private, unlicensed sellers at such shows, then smuggle them across the border. U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales vowed last week to crack down on such gun-running, and top officials from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives are in Mexico this week to talk strategy with their Mexican counterparts. An undercover investigation conducted by the University of California-Davis and released Tuesday said illegal "straw purchases" are rampant at gun shows in Arizona and other states. But federal firearms authorities simply don't have the manpower to patrol gun shows, looking for such activity, William Newell, head of the ATF's Phoenix office, said in an interview with The Republic. "We don't have enough agents to do that," Newell said. Mexican drug cartels typically use straw purchasers, U.S. citizens with clean records who can pass a federal background check, to buy AR-15 and AK-47 rifles from licensed dealers at gun stores or gun shows, authorities say. Gun shows also attract private sellers who are allowed to sell from their own collections. In many states, including Arizona, no background check is required for those sales. Newell said the ATF often acts on tips about suspicious sellers at gun shows. But it doesn't do spot checks for illegal activities. "We don't just arbitrarily pick out a gun show," Newell said. "We only go in there if we have good information that a particular individual or group of individuals is going in there . . . or specific information on a gun dealer that is selling off-paper." That's unfortunate, said Garen Wintemute, a University of California professor of emergency medicine who wrote the study on gun shows. It was published this week in Injury Prevention, a scholarly journal for doctors and public health officials. "They should absolutely be patrolling gun shows," Wintemute said. "The illegal activity I saw was being conducted right out in the open. The bad guys don't think the cops are there." Using a hidden camera and his cellphone's voice mail to take notes, Wintemute visited 28 gun shows, including six in Arizona, during 2005 and 2006. He documented 24 straw purchases where someone bought a gun for another person, along with three other probable cases. Some of these sales happened in the immediate vicinity of local, uniformed law enforcement officers, most of whom were attending the gun shows as customers, Wintemute said. The study focused on gun shows in Arizona, California, Nevada, Texas and Florida. It found less illegal activity at gun shows in California, where state law requires all gun sales to be done through a licensed dealer or broker. The state also has a 10-day waiting period for gun sales, meaning guns bought at shows are typically transferred to a licensed store for later delivery, Wintemute said. Newell said the ATF's ability to intervene in gun sales is limited by federal law. But as drug wars become more violent on the Mexican side of the border, officials are putting more emphasis on trying to keep U.S. guns in the United States. The ATF has opened new offices in cities near the border: Yuma; Laredo, Texas; Las Cruces, N.M.; and Chula Vista, Calif. In the past year, Newell said, the U.S. government has given Mexico nine dogs trained to detect ammunition and explosives, and since Jan. 1, has trained 125 Mexican officers in tracing and identifying weapons. The ATF also wants to give Mexican investigators access to its electronic gun-tracing system as well as a computer system that compares bullets and spent cartridges to identify weapons, Newell said.
And more from Wintemute.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed whre they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

Tomahawk

imported post

Vincente sez: Hey, Sam, we have a problem with guns in my country.

Uncle Sam says: No problem. I'll just crack down on my citizens' right to bear arms. After all, you and me are buds, right?

Vincente: You know it buddy! It's nice to have those saps we call "citizens" work their tails off to pay us our tax extortion, so we can afford more agents to harrass them and force them to pay even more taxes, isn't it?

Uncle Sam: Yeah, man! Oh, by the way, all that stuff I told my taxpayers about the wall and the boarder and all that, don't worry about it. That was just for show.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Thank you for driving my blood pressure out the roof Doug and Tomahawk.

So, if I got this straight. Rather than seal the borders, they plan to restrict further our right to self-defense?

I have just discovered that I now have a complaint with the Marine Corps. The entire lexicon of salty language I learned is inadequate to express the full depth of my outrage.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

WHOA! David Hardy over at www.armsandthelaw.compoints out something about this.

What is happening at the border inspections when they cross back over?Hequotes someone, perhaps from the article he links, that it used to be that a $10 "tip" (bribe) to the Mexican border guard would get you through regardless of what youwere carrying in your car.

So, the Mexicans won't seal their side of the border to prevent come-backs, and a corrupt Mexicanborder guard would let themthrough, and my civil rightssuffer further incursion.

My anger level just went into the stratosphere!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Citizen wrote:
WHOA! David Hardy over at http://www.armsandthelaw.compoints out something about this.

What is happening at the border inspections when they cross back over?Hequotes someone, perhaps from the article he links, that it used to be that a $10 "tip" (bribe) to the Mexican border guard would get you through regardless of what youwere carrying in your car.

So, the Mexicans won't seal their side of the border to prevent come-backs, and a corrupt Mexicanborder guard would let themthrough, and my civil rightssuffer further incursion.

My anger level just went into the stratosphere!

Huh? The Mexicans rarely ever check people at the border - they have an open border, with only random checks of 1 every so many hundred or thousand cars.

Coming into the US is similar, everybody is interviewed briefly, often asking for photo ID of sorts. But cars are also rarely ever checked at all.

Face it - we have open land orders - it's time to get over it - the EU has open land borders throuout most of the EU states, and no more airport customs within the EU at all - it's called freedom and it works.