• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC rules card - CCW

kurtv

imported post

I saw the neat pocket card with rules for Tennessee carry in the Tenn. forum and thought I might make one for NC. This has more to do with CCW than with open carry, as it seems open carry is an implicit (vs. explicit) right in NC. Anyway, this is meant to be the size of two business cards, folded together.

Anyone that has suggestions, please feel free. If you like it and want to make changes, it's all yours. :)

Attachments

• nc_ccw_law_pocketcard.doc
    76 KB · Views: 830

vrwmiller

imported post

Thanks for posting the CCW card. I make my way down to NC 2 - 3 times per year. This is good to have. Glad NC and VA have reciprocity.

I'd kinda like to see a OC card as well. Would be nice to have the information in my pocket while I was down there.

Isn't it also unlawful to OC or CC in NC to a meeting/event where one is required to pay for admission into such event? Normally, when I make it down that way, it is for business seminars or conventions of various types. Of course, I am required to pay admission fees to get in. This would exclude me from being permitted to carry into the event.

dubccat51

Opt-Out Members
imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
Thanks for posting the CCW card. I make my way down to NC 2 - 3 times per year. This is good to have. Glad NC and VA have reciprocity.

I'd kinda like to see a OC card as well. Would be nice to have the information in my pocket while I was down there.

Isn't it also unlawful to OC or CC in NC to a meeting/event where one is required to pay for admission into such event? Normally, when I make it down that way, it is for business seminars or conventions of various types. Of course, I am required to pay admission fees to get in. This would exclude me from being permitted to carry into the event.
You are correct. You can't go anywhere where admission is charged and carry a firearm. The only difference between the laws for OC and the laws for CC is that you cannot CC in to a financial institution. We need to work on getting some of our laws changed. There are 3 pro-gun bills in the legislature: Carry in restaurants, carry in State and Municipal Parks and the Castle Doctrine. The restaurant bill covers a lot of places including anywhere that even has a snack bar that serves food. It is meant to supercede the alcohol law, but I think that it will end up giving us a lot of extra places we can carry such as movie theatres, bowling alleys, and your meetings that charge admission if they serve food, that sort of thing.

Great card by the way kurtv!!!

vrwmiller

imported post

I am going to have to brush up on the firearms laws for NC. Last time I went to NC, I just decided to leave the firearm at home. I did not want to, but decided to anyway.

So, if I am reading correctly, OC is legal in NC without a permit. Except that municipalities may regulate the display of firearms in publicly own buildings/facilties?

Does Greensboro have any ordnances restricting carrying? open or concealed?

dubccat51

Opt-Out Members
imported post

No, Greensboro does not have any local ordinances. The only way they can regulate the carry of firearms is if they put a no firearms signat eachentrance of apublic building. Just follow the rules on the card and you will be fine. Just make sure the restaurants you visit do not serve alcohol and you can carry openly in a financial institution but I do not advise it.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

...and you can carry openly in a financial institution but I do not advise it.
I've open carried in the banks here in Havelock multiple times, and have only received crap once from a stupid customer....I even went in to apply for a loan with my SW99 .40 on my hip, and never even got a funny look from the employees. I don't think it's right to advise someone to not exercise his rights, especially when he would also be within the written law. I personally would advise everyone TO carry in their banks and financial institutions as much as possible.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Thank you. This is perfect, and excellent timing, as I'm headed for NC on vacation this weekend.

I apreciate it.