Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Soldiers, Openly Carrying Arms, Violate a California School's Ban On Guns!

Post imported post

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...amp;id=5397158

Toy GI Guns Banned from 5th-Grade Graduation

Children asked to Remove Miniture Gun Tips

RANCHO PALOS VERDES, June 15, 2007 - A fifth-grade classroom turned into a free-speech battleground Thursday, when students in Rancho Palos Verdes were asked to remove the weapons from their toy soldiers.Students at Cornerstone school typically decorate their fifth-grade graduation hats with miniature cars, figurines, and other toys.

Before the ceremony Thursday, students were told they could not participate unless they cut off the tips of the guns carried by their plastic G-I's.

Parents reacted angrily, calling the decision censorship. But the school principal and district officials said the guns violated the school's zero-tolerance for weapons on campus.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Sorry, my head just exploded. Forgot to use to duct tape.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Disarm the G.I. Joes? A zero tolerance for guns on campus?

This is yet another reason everyone should take their kids out of public schools. (I'm so not kidding about that.)

And another reason why Californians are generally reputed to be granola crunching, tie dyed hippie, flower wielding Earth muffins.

'Eff'that.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

I am still hoping that the San Andreas Fault will someday fix this problem for all of us. This coutry would be a lot better off if Nevada was Ocean front property. We can work out how to arrange the stars on the flag later, or just admit the US virgin Islands as a new state.

Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

I completely agree

State Researcher

Post imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
    Disarm the G.I. Joes? A zero tolerance for guns on campus?

This is yet another reason everyone should take their kids out of public schools. (I'm so not kidding about that.)

And another reason why Californians are generally reputed to be granola crunching, tie dyed hippie, flower wielding Earth muffins.

'Eff'that.
    +100

They're not this bad in AL yet but we still home-school our son......reading, writing, math and marksmanship should be the basics learned in elementary school.....along with safely handling and maintaining guns, of course.
    Not that long ago, if a kid couldn't shoot and fish his family may very well have "meatless" meals at times.
    Are they trying to form a new country out there or something?

State Researcher

Post imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
    I am still hoping that the San Andreas Fault will someday fix this problem for all of us. This coutry would be a lot better off if Nevada was Ocean front property. We can work out how to arrange the stars on the flag later, or just admit the US virgin Islands as a new state.

Regards
    ROFLMAO....+100 Hawk

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:

Regards
    I'll go half with you to move Cato out of the way if the geologic event can bearranged before the next national election.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
    I am still hoping that the San Andreas Fault will someday fix this problem for all of us. This coutry would be a lot better off if Nevada was Ocean front property.
    A great rock band wrote a good song about that subject (warning, language):

http://www.rocklyricsonline.com/lyrics/13_aenema.html

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    Hawkflyer wrote:

Regards
    I'll go half with you to move Cato out of the way if the geologic event can be*arranged before the next national election.
    +1
    I'm in.
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."

Post imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
    Citizen wrote:
    Hawkflyer wrote:

Regards
    I'll go half with you to move Cato out of the way if the geologic event can bearranged before the next national election.
    +1
    I'm in.
    Hell, let's split it three ways! I'm in favor.

Post imported post

I'm speechless. This is not a good thing to read before I have my first cup of coffee this mornong.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

This reminds me of something I saw the other day and forgot to mention.

I was in the Lee District Rec Center on Telegraph Rd. in Fairfax County, VA,Wednesday afternoon to use the gym. One of the local high schools had had their graduation party the night before and they had decorated the place with James Bond movie posters, playing on the theme "Class of 007".

It was actually very cool. They had a small poster from every Bond film spanning the whole series, and they were posted on the wall in the lower level near the entrance to the pool.

Unfortuantely some anti-gun ********* had taken a crayon or a magic marker and ruined every single poster by scribbling over the gun Bond was holding and any onther gun in the images. How infantile and destructive.

It just confirms my theory that antis suffer from some serious problems. Immature, afraid to face reality or reason, paranoid of inanimate objects, I don't know what their problem is, but I'm not interested in trying to reason with someone so childish and mean-spirited.

Post imported post

"Zero-tolerance" of depictions of guns... I'm pretty sure this has trespassed into full psychosis. That term is hackneyed beyond any real utility at all. I once lost a job over a disagreement - which didn't even reach the level of argument - with a co-worker, which was reported to the temp agency I was then working for as a "workplace dispute," which they invoked their "zero-tolerance" policy over, as if someone had been threatened or something. So forgive me if I bristle every time a moron uses this term. This term excusescosting a man his livelihood over ********, butnot a kid playing with a plastic soldier. Whatever.

-ljp

Post imported post

I new California was messed up but My GOD to impose this on a TOY, and then claim it is because of a position on a gun ban, prat tell how inthe world willa Toy Souldier with a gunis going to harm anyone or anything unless I suppose it was thrown at and hit someone inthe eye.

GladI left that state after my service in the Navy was over.

Post imported post

Zero tolerance policies are just a way for people with poor decision making and analysis skills to make a decision. They don't have to think, they don't have to accept responsibility for the decision, all they have to do is follow the book.

Regards

Post imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
    Zero tolerance policies are just a way for people with poor decision making and analysis skills to make a decision. They don't have to think, they don't have to accept responsibility for the decision, all they have to do is follow the book.

Regards

Yep. and by doing so they commit the real crime: failure to think and reason clearly, failure to judge for yourself what is right and wrong.

Each must for himself alone decide what is right and what is wrong, and which course is patriotic and which isn’t. You cannot shirk this and be a man. To decide it against your convictions is to be an unqualified and inexcusable traitor, both to yourself and to your country, let men label you as they may. If you alone of all the nation shall decide one way, and that way be the right way according to your convictions of the right, you have done your duty by yourself and by your country — hold up your head! You have nothing to be ashamed of.
    ~Mark Twain

Post imported post

This isn't a California issue: it reflects the national trend towards zero tolerance for children being children nationwide.

I've ended up lawyering for Maryland students who have gottensuspended and expelled over similar controversies:in that case it was a supposed "bomb threat" thatremained in the child's notebook-- more like a "bomb thought"

At that time, the superintendenthad decided to clear schools anytime that anything connected with a "bomb" was found, and "permanently expel" all students "involved."

The result: 1) hundreds of kids -- including seven and nine year olds -- expelled for stuff like making crayon illustrations of Looney Tunes"bombs" thatvaguely resembledbowling balls with sparklers in them, and 2) a rash of bomb threatsthat occurred when the kidsgot excited and realizedthatthe schools would be automatically cleared no matter how incredible the "threat" was.

Adults and educators need to step back and let kids be kids: that means playing with plastic soldiers and capguns as well as footballs and barbies, and not viewing everyday play as a disciplinary issue.

Post imported post

The Donkey wrote:
    This isn't a California issue: it reflects the national trend towards zero tolerance for children being children nationwide.
    SNIP ...
    No but like a cancer it started there and has spread to the body whole.

Regards

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

The Donkey wrote:
    Adults and educators need to step back and let kids be kids: that means playing with plastic soldiers and capguns as well as footballs and barbies, and not viewing everyday play as a disciplinary issue.
    Maybe a heavy press embarrassment campaign? Inabilityto differentiate. Kids have better judgement than the educators.Too stupid to recognize thedifference between a bomb threat and crayon drawingoff a bomb? Etc.

Also, maybe attack them for considering their little, lovable charges are all latent terrorists who will grow up to assemble IED's.

Really, its disgusting.Its not like this is a disagreement over whether a kid should get three licks orfour for a given infraction.

Post imported post

The Donkey wrote:

I've ended up lawyering for Maryland students who have gottensuspended and expelled over similar controversies:in that case it was a supposed "bomb threat" thatremained in the child's notebook-- more like a "bomb thought"

At that time, the superintendenthad decided to clear schools anytime that anything connected with a "bomb" was found, and "permanently expel" all students "involved."

The result: 1) hundreds of kids -- including seven and nine year olds -- expelled for stuff like making crayon illustrations of Looney Tunes"bombs" thatvaguely resembledbowling balls with sparklers in them, and 2) a rash of bomb threatsthat occurred when the kidsgot excited and realizedthatthe schools would be automatically cleared no matter how incredible the "threat" was.

You make a good case, but do you in all your knowledge and law experience think for one minute that a rational approach to this issue will take place in today’s world?

Post imported post

No but like a cancer it started there and has spread to the body whole.

Regards
    Perhaps:

I occassionally wonder whether it started with Nancy Reagan . . . .

Post imported post

Kelly J wrote:

You make a good case, but do you . . . think for one minute that a rational approach to this issue will take place in today’s world?
    In my vanity, I imagine that it can.

In fact, I know sometimes that it has.

When educators and adults are "rational" about stuff like this, there is no issue and no press.

When they are not, the fixes often have to come from on high, where the fixers have no politics to fear.

For example, I would guess that the school system is aboutto lose the "bong hits for Jesus" case at the US Supreme Court in the next few days.

The unfortunate thing is that such stuff has to go to the Supreme Court because of sometimes gutless school administrators who are afraid to admit that they make mistakes -- forgetting to take into account little things like Constitution in the small time fifedoms where they preside.

Little guns -- little things. I wonder if the kids would get into trouble if they told their teachers that the soldiers with their barrels snipped had decided to concealed carry instead?

Post imported post

The Donkey wrote:
    Kelly J wrote:

You make a good case, but do you . . . think for one minute that a rational approach to this issue will take place in today’s world?
    In my vanity, I imagine that it can.

In fact, I know sometimes that it has.

When educators and adults are "rational" about stuff like this, there is no issue and no press.

When they are not, the fixes often have to come from on high, where the fixers have no politics to fear.

For example, I would guess that the school system is aboutto lose the "bong hits for Jesus" case at the US Supreme Court in the next few days.

The unfortunate thing is that such stuff has to go to the Supreme Court because of sometimes gutless school administrators who are afraid to admit that they make mistakes -- forgetting to take into account little things like Constitution in the small time fifedoms where they preside.

Little guns -- little things. I wonder if the kids would get into trouble if they told their teachers that the soldiers with their barrels snipped had decided to concealed carry instead?

Wouldn't that be a sad commentary, just think of the School officials doing a strip search of toy soldiers and coming up empty for weapons and then demand a body cavity search!!!!!!!!!!

Post imported post

The Donkey wrote:
    I wonder if the kids would get into trouble if they told their teachers that the soldiers with their barrels snipped had decided to concealed carry instead?

LOL, good one. They would have called an emergency staff meeting to determine how to deal with this "new security threat."

Once the ideological get going ideologically, they can't stop. They always go to extremes--absurd extremes. And common sense goes out the window. If anyone raises a hand of reason to object, they get crushed or ostracized.

Snipping off guns from toy plastic soldiers ends up making sense to those bozos. Oddly, they're usually quite educated bozos.

The principal should be ridiculed for his well-intentioned stewardship. And fired.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast