• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Toy Soldiers, Openly Carrying Arms, Violate a California School's Ban On Guns!

cato

imported post

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=local&id=5397158

Toy GI Guns Banned from 5th-Grade Graduation

Children asked to Remove Miniture Gun Tips

RANCHO PALOS VERDES, June 15, 2007 - A fifth-grade classroom turned into a free-speech battleground Thursday, when students in Rancho Palos Verdes were asked to remove the weapons from their toy soldiers.Students at Cornerstone school typically decorate their fifth-grade graduation hats with miniature cars, figurines, and other toys.

Before the ceremony Thursday, students were told they could not participate unless they cut off the tips of the guns carried by their plastic G-I's.

Parents reacted angrily, calling the decision censorship. But the school principal and district officials said the guns violated the school's zero-tolerance for weapons on campus.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Disarm the G.I. Joes? A zero tolerance for guns on campus?

This is yet another reason everyone should take their kids out of public schools. (I'm so not kidding about that.)

And another reason why Californians are generally reputed to be granola crunching, tie dyed hippie, flower wielding Earth muffins.

'Eff'that.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I am still hoping that the San Andreas Fault will someday fix this problem for all of us. This coutry would be a lot better off if Nevada was Ocean front property. We can work out how to arrange the stars on the flag later, or just admit the US virgin Islands as a new state.:banghead:

Regards

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
Disarm the G.I. Joes? A zero tolerance for guns on campus?

This is yet another reason everyone should take their kids out of public schools. (I'm so not kidding about that.)

And another reason why Californians are generally reputed to be granola crunching, tie dyed hippie, flower wielding Earth muffins.

'Eff'that.
+100

They're not this bad in AL yet but we still home-school our son......reading, writing, math and marksmanship should be the basics learned in elementary school.....along with safely handling and maintaining guns, of course.
Not that long ago, if a kid couldn't shoot and fish his family may very well have "meatless" meals at times.
Are they trying to form a new country out there or something?

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
I am still hoping that the San Andreas Fault will someday fix this problem for all of us. This coutry would be a lot better off if Nevada was Ocean front property. We can work out how to arrange the stars on the flag later, or just admit the US virgin Islands as a new state.:banghead:

Regards
ROFLMAO....+100 Hawk

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:

Regards
I'll go half with you to move Cato out of the way if the geologic event can bearranged before the next national election.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:

Regards
I'll go half with you to move Cato out of the way if the geologic event can be arranged before the next national election.

+1
I'm in.

vrwmiller

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:

Regards
I'll go half with you to move Cato out of the way if the geologic event can bearranged before the next national election.

+1
I'm in.
Hell, let's split it three ways! I'm in favor.

Tomahawk

imported post

This reminds me of something I saw the other day and forgot to mention.

I was in the Lee District Rec Center on Telegraph Rd. in Fairfax County, VA,Wednesday afternoon to use the gym. One of the local high schools had had their graduation party the night before and they had decorated the place with James Bond movie posters, playing on the theme "Class of 007".

It was actually very cool. They had a small poster from every Bond film spanning the whole series, and they were posted on the wall in the lower level near the entrance to the pool.

Unfortuantely some anti-gun douchebag had taken a crayon or a magic marker and ruined every single poster by scribbling over the gun Bond was holding and any onther gun in the images. How infantile and destructive.

It just confirms my theory that antis suffer from some serious problems. Immature, afraid to face reality or reason, paranoid of inanimate objects, I don't know what their problem is, but I'm not interested in trying to reason with someone so childish and mean-spirited.

Legba

imported post

"Zero-tolerance" of depictions of guns... I'm pretty sure this has trespassed into full psychosis. That term is hackneyed beyond any real utility at all. I once lost a job over a disagreement - which didn't even reach the level of argument - with a co-worker, which was reported to the temp agency I was then working for as a "workplace dispute," which they invoked their "zero-tolerance" policy over, as if someone had been threatened or something. So forgive me if I bristle every time a moron uses this term. This term excusescosting a man his livelihood over bullshit, butnot a kid playing with a plastic soldier. Whatever.

-ljp

Kelly J

imported post

I new California was messed up but My GOD to impose this on a TOY, and then claim it is because of a position on a gun ban, prat tell how inthe world willa Toy Souldier with a gunis going to harm anyone or anything unless I suppose it was thrown at and hit someone inthe eye.

GladI left that state after my service in the Navy was over.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Zero tolerance policies are just a way for people with poor decision making and analysis skills to make a decision. They don't have to think, they don't have to accept responsibility for the decision, all they have to do is follow the book.

Regards

Tomahawk

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Zero tolerance policies are just a way for people with poor decision making and analysis skills to make a decision. They don't have to think, they don't have to accept responsibility for the decision, all they have to do is follow the book.

Regards

Yep. and by doing so they commit the real crime: failure to think and reason clearly, failure to judge for yourself what is right and wrong.

Each must for himself alone decide what is right and what is wrong, and which course is patriotic and which isn’t. You cannot shirk this and be a man. To decide it against your convictions is to be an unqualified and inexcusable traitor, both to yourself and to your country, let men label you as they may. If you alone of all the nation shall decide one way, and that way be the right way according to your convictions of the right, you have done your duty by yourself and by your country — hold up your head! You have nothing to be ashamed of.
~Mark Twain

The Donkey

imported post

This isn't a California issue: it reflects the national trend towards zero tolerance for children being children nationwide.

I've ended up lawyering for Maryland students who have gottensuspended and expelled over similar controversies:in that case it was a supposed "bomb threat" thatremained in the child's notebook-- more like a "bomb thought"

At that time, the superintendenthad decided to clear schools anytime that anything connected with a "bomb" was found, and "permanently expel" all students "involved."

The result: 1) hundreds of kids -- including seven and nine year olds -- expelled for stuff like making crayon illustrations of Looney Tunes"bombs" thatvaguely resembledbowling balls with sparklers in them, and 2) a rash of bomb threatsthat occurred when the kidsgot excited and realizedthatthe schools would be automatically cleared no matter how incredible the "threat" was.

Adults and educators need to step back and let kids be kids: that means playing with plastic soldiers and capguns as well as footballs and barbies, and not viewing everyday play as a disciplinary issue.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The Donkey wrote:
Adults and educators need to step back and let kids be kids: that means playing with plastic soldiers and capguns as well as footballs and barbies, and not viewing everyday play as a disciplinary issue.

Maybe a heavy press embarrassment campaign? Inabilityto differentiate. Kids have better judgement than the educators.Too stupid to recognize thedifference between a bomb threat and crayon drawingoff a bomb? Etc.

Also, maybe attack them for considering their little, lovable charges are all latent terrorists who will grow up to assemble IED's.

Really, its disgusting.Its not like this is a disagreement over whether a kid should get three licks orfour for a given infraction.