• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Not sure if Dulles Town Center is anti-gun....

KodiakISGOOD

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Ben and Jerry's supports convicted cop killers.

This has been known for some time. I refuse to purchase their products.
my father has refused to purchase ben and jerry's for at least 10 years because of that very fact, he also refuses to listen to sting. After i came home with a pint of cookie dough one time, i learned that breyers, dairy queen, baskin robbins, and cold stone were much safer options!

happy carrying,

jason

LEO 229

imported post

My wife did not know and I suggested she not purchase it if I was going to be around.

Being an excellent and understandingwife... she told me she would never buy it again.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
My wife did not know and I suggested she not purchase it if I was going to be around.

Being an excellent and understanding wife...   she told me she would never buy it again.

Good woman. I have had issues with Denny's for over 10 years. I like the food there especially when I am traveling. But I will never enter one again.

Regards

AbNo

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

Now that, I did not know. Even if I'm the one that turned this into an anti-Ben & Jerry's thread... :lol:

vtme_grad98

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

http://www.guazabara.com/Convicted_Cop_Killer.htm

Damn. Now I can't buy Ben & Jerry's or Newman's Own stuff, and I liked the Newman's Own salsa. It was the only stuff that didn't either taste like straight tomato paste or look like a three-bean salad.

LEO 229

imported post

Sorry guys... But if you like LEO or at least LEO 229..... No supporting B&J Ice Cream

Bulldog1967

imported post

Best

Shirt

Ever

shirtsquare-mumia.jpg

LEO 229

imported post

Bulldog1967 wrote:
Best

Shirt

Ever

Gonna say I like that shirt....

and thanks vtme_grad98you found a link with the supporters. Either they think he did not do it.. or do not care.

Tomahawk

imported post

Did B&J contribute to a legal defense fund just for this one guy? Or do they support a general legal defense fund? Did they only start supporting him after he was convicted?

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Did B&J contribute to a legal defense fund just for this one guy? Or do they support a general legal defense fund? Did they only start supporting him after he was convicted?

Not sure with regards to Mumia but you have to do something wrong to get on the NRA's list

Anti-Gun Corporations/Corporate Heads
The following listing includes the most prominent national corporations that have lent their corporate support to gun control initiatives or taken position supporting gun control.

Ben & Jerry's Homemade, Inc.
Bennett R. Cohen Chrm. & CEO
Rte. 100, Box 240
Waterbury, VT 05676
(802) 244-5641
http://www.benjerry.com
Ice cream and frozen yogurt

And right from the horse's mouth

mlands

imported post

VCDL has a list on their website of a number ofanti-gun malls, banks, andeating establishments that they boycott because of their position on gun rights.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

rlh2005 wrote:

I hadn't caught that on their site. I did look at their grants page, and was trying to formulate a way to apply for a grant to help minimize gun violence. They say you have to show that your efforts will have positive effects and work toward self sustainment....I'm thinking if we got more people to carry for self defense, we'd work toward that goal. If I ever get it outlined satisfactorily, I'll run it by VCDL or GOA to see if any are interested in applying.

Now who's an instigator? Not I.....

Tomahawk

imported post

rlh2005 wrote:

Question

What is Ben & Jerry's association with Mumia Abu-Jamal?

trnsp.gif

Answer

The employees of Ben & Jerry's Homemade, Inc. have deep and heartfelt sympathy for Philadelphia Police Officer Daniel Faulkner, his family and his fellow officers, regarding his tragic death approximately 25 years ago on December 9, 1981. The loss of anyone's life is reprehensible. The loss of a law enforcement officer's life in the line of duty is particularly egregious.

Unfortunately, there continues to be misinformation and false statements concerning Ben & Jerry's and this tragedy. To set the record straight, neither Ben & Jerry's Homemade, Inc. nor the Ben & Jerry's Foundation have ever taken a position - formal or informal - on any aspect of the Mumia Abu-Jamal case. Any comment to the contrary is both false and irresponsible.

There are multiple falsehoods being circulated, primarily on the Internet. One is that Ben & Jerry's made contributions to groups involved in this case. Ben & Jerry's has never made any such contributions. The other falsehood involves allegations that Ben & Jerry's has an ice cream flavor whose name is connected to this case. That is both totally false and absurd.

Misunderstanding regarding Ben & Jerry's connection with this case may have stemmed from the fact that Ben Cohen, one of our co-founders, acting as a private citizen, joined hundreds of other people in signing a petition in 1995 asking that the system of American justice be followed fully in the case, as he would hope for any of us. Mr. Cohen made his decision to sign as a private citizen, stating "I am in no position to judge his guilt or innocence. For all I know, a new and impartial trial could find him guilty again. But the American system of justice must be fair and must be perceived as fair." Contrary to statements circulated on the internet, Mr. Cohen has not contributed money to a legal fund for Mumia Abu-Jamal.

We trust that this will clear up any confusion or misunderstandings regarding this issue.

Ben & Jerry's
According to the "horse's mouth", the company does not support Mumia. But
they are anti-gun:
Question

Do you support gun control?

trnsp.gif

Answer

Thank you for your inquiry. We have been involved with several campaigns jointly with the Children's Defense Fund and Educators for Social Responsibility to raise public awareness about the effects of gun violence on children and to encourage nonviolent conflict resolution in schools. We support the Brady bill which requires background checks in an effort to prevent persons with criminal records from owning guns.

LEO 229

imported post

Is this real?? Could it be true that we were all duped? Or is it a PR sham to win the people back?

It appears that the co-founderDID actually have some type of connection and apparently... privately. But what other influence was possible through company funds? What about the profits he collected personally? Did he pass them along to support the killer's cause?

I think I will still avoid the product.

Tricorn

imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

Not sure with regards to Mumia but you have to do something wrong to get on the NRA's list

Anti-Gun Corporations/Corporate Heads
The following listing includes the most prominent national corporations that have lent their corporate support to gun control initiatives or taken position supporting gun control.

Ben & Jerry's Homemade, Inc.
Bennett R. Cohen Chrm. & CEO
Rte. 100, Box 240
Waterbury, VT 05676
(802) 244-5641
http://www.benjerry.com
Ice cream and frozen yogurt

From NRA List:

"National Organizations With Anti-Gun Policies

[size=-1]The following organizations have lent monetary, grassroots or some other type of direct support to anti-gun organizations. In many instances, these organizations lent their name in support of specific campaigns to pass anti-gun legislation such as the March 1995 HCI "Campaign to Protect Sane Gun Laws." Many of these organizations were listed as "Campaign Partners," for having pledged to fight any efforts to repeal the Brady Act and the Clinton "assault weapons" ban. All have officially endorsed anti-gun positions."[/size]

Since the NRA is giving direct support to anti-gun legislation (H.R. 2640, the NICS Improvement Amendments Act of 2007), and to organizations supporting this legislation, whyisn't the NRAlisted on their own list?

LEO 229

imported post

Well, I do not think it matters thatthe co-founder of the company isshowing his support on his own time... thecompanyis giving support indirectly.

You buy the companyproducts that in the end lines his pockets with revenue. He can then give cash to the cop killer's cause.... by way of the customers.

So there is a direct correlation to the cop killer cause!!

Tomahawk

imported post

Tricorn wrote:
Since the NRA is giving direct support to anti-gun legislation (H.R. 2640, the NICS Improvement Amendments Act of 2007), and to organizations supporting this legislation, whyisn't the NRAlisted on their own list?

lol.gif

The company may not be pro-cop killer, but they are proud of being anti-gun, which is bad enough for me.

HKshooter

imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
I work near Dulles Town Center and I recently bought a new suit that needs some tailoring. So, I took my suit to a tailor in the mall. I OC'd while in the mall with my family. I entered via JC Penney and noticed not signage forbidding the carry of firearms.
Dulles Town Center isn't posted at the doors, but it has a no weapons clause in it's mall policy handout. Wasn't there in 2003, was added sometime before mid 2006.
Usually some place in the food court sells alcohol, so you're kind of stuck if you
want a quick snack and don't want to expose yourself.

The Loudoun Sheriffs have a mini-office at the mall, so they are around a lot.