Thread: VA Tech's Advice to faculty

The 'Dena, Mаяуlaпd

Post imported post

The following is a 'quip' by John Farnham.

Academic Cowardice? 14 May 07
    Typical grasseater "advice," from a friend and student who is a college professor:

"In the wake of the VA Tech shootings, our administration arranged a meeting with faculty/staff/students and members of the local PD to talk about our' official' campus response to an active-shooter incident. I attended, because I was interested in what they would say about any of us actively defending ourselves. I wasn't disappointed!

We were advised to 'remain calm' at least a hundred times. Then, we're told we should 'negotiate' with the homicidal maniac. Finally, we're advised never to try to overpower a dangerous felon unless 'all other options have been exhausted,' in other words, until it is long past any chance of success.

When asked for comment, I raised my hand and said, '... so you're advising us to do nothing but sheepishly beg for our lives and pray we're not murdered. Is that correct?' My question was never answered, and I was never called upon again.
    As you know, in contemptuous defiance of their stupid rules, I carry on campus every day. It is obvious to me that neither the police nor the university administration wants to think about this issue in any serious way.

They perfunctorily go through the usual hollow motions in a vane attempt to justify their existence, but, in the end, do nothing. They devote infinitely more mental energy to glamorizing their office decor than they ever will to anyone's safety!
    In the interim, per your advice I've unilaterally taken personal and unapologetic responsibility for my own safety, and have equipped and trained myself accordingly!"

Comment: I suspect such pointless meetings are taking place in academia nationwide, and there is little doubt they all have the same result! Fearful, vain, sissified college administrators dance around this issue but predictably refuse to look at any solution that does not embrace the same contemptible cowardice they themselves have personally adopted as a lifestyle.

Farnham's quip
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Blue Springs, Missouri, United States

Post imported post

This position didn't supprise you did it, they are in denial that their policy failed, and because of it, many Students and factulity were killed as a result of it.

Campaign Veteran
    Colorado Springs, CO

Post imported post

Ph.D.s...taking something very simple and making it complicated.

"Piled Higher and Deeper" are words never more truly spoken.

-- John D.

(formerly of Galveston and El Paso, Texas)

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar
    Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
    They devote infinitely more mental energy to glamorizing their office decor than they ever will to anyone's safety!

I presume the committee participation certificates are at the printers and the frames have been selected.

AFAICT the ONLY Committee that ever looked into self defense issues and came up with a workable solution was the Continental Congress. What the hell makes these guys think they could EVER be smarter than them.

"Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Founder's Club Member
    Fairfax Co., VA

Post imported post

While we're talking about Farnharm (an acknowledged stretch), did y'all PW'ers notice Farnham promoted his friend, Jim Fotis, for PW Sheriff. Bottom of the page at:
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.