• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA Tech's Advice to faculty

VAopencarry

imported post

The following is a 'quip' by John Farnham.

Academic Cowardice? 14 May 07
Typical grasseater "advice," from a friend and student who is a college professor:

"In the wake of the VA Tech shootings, our administration arranged a meeting with faculty/staff/students and members of the local PD to talk about our' official' campus response to an active-shooter incident. I attended, because I was interested in what they would say about any of us actively defending ourselves. I wasn't disappointed!

We were advised to 'remain calm' at least a hundred times. Then, we're told we should 'negotiate' with the homicidal maniac. Finally, we're advised never to try to overpower a dangerous felon unless 'all other options have been exhausted,' in other words, until it is long past any chance of success.

When asked for comment, I raised my hand and said, '... so you're advising us to do nothing but sheepishly beg for our lives and pray we're not murdered. Is that correct?' My question was never answered, and I was never called upon again.
As you know, in contemptuous defiance of their stupid rules, I carry on campus every day. It is obvious to me that neither the police nor the university administration wants to think about this issue in any serious way.

They perfunctorily go through the usual hollow motions in a vane attempt to justify their existence, but, in the end, do nothing. They devote infinitely more mental energy to glamorizing their office decor than they ever will to anyone's safety!
In the interim, per your advice I've unilaterally taken personal and unapologetic responsibility for my own safety, and have equipped and trained myself accordingly!"

Comment: I suspect such pointless meetings are taking place in academia nationwide, and there is little doubt they all have the same result! Fearful, vain, sissified college administrators dance around this issue but predictably refuse to look at any solution that does not embrace the same contemptible cowardice they themselves have personally adopted as a lifestyle.
/John

Farnham's quip

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
...SNIP
They devote infinitely more mental energy to glamorizing their office decor than they ever will to anyone's safety!

SNIP...

I presume the committee participation certificates are at the printers and the frames have been selected.

AFAICT the ONLY Committee that ever looked into self defense issues and came up with a workable solution was the Continental Congress. What the hell makes these guys think they could EVER be smarter than them.

Regards