• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

For states with restrictions on places that charge admission..

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I posted this in the general section to generate a faster response, and since this should apply (in general) to any state with a restriction on places that charge admission.

So we're headed to the beach tonight to go pier fishing. Here in NC, part of the law states that you can't carry a gun into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto. To fish off the pier, you have to pay a "fee", which covers, among other things, the fishing licensing (you don't need a license to fish off the pier..the pier holds a license for all who fish off of it).

I don't think this would fit into the definition of an "assembly where a fee has been charged", but my girlfriend is a little more skeptical. What do you guys think?

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Well assuming you are the only one there, you would not be assembling. And thus not need a firearm, unless you truly intend to shoot fish in a barrel.

I have never been to NC, so I have no idea how widely oc is accepted there, but I do not think it impossible for you to receive unwanted attention.

However, this seems like a law that not many people would know/research, chances are if someone is calling the police it will be for a man with a gun.... and not.... a man with a gun in a place that charges a fee to assemble.

But honestly I think your girlfriend is WRONG, if, and only if you can enter the pier for free if you did not want to fish. Then you would be able to make the case that since the fee is only assesed to those who wish to fish, that this fee is to cover the piers fee for holding a public license, and not for admission thereto.

Anyone else think the same?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Well it turns out that you're right...the fee is only for those who wish to fish from the pier, therefore the "admission" law wouldn't be a problem.

I did, however, find out that they serve alcohol in the building that allows access to the pier, and that alcohol is consumed both in that building and on the pier itself. So, here in wonderful NC, I can't carry there, anyway. :-/ Oh well.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

One way or another I guess.....

You can always move to Indiana, us midwest hicks can carry right into the bar :)

I have carried into a bar the past few times, although not openly, but not concealed completely either, when I sit down the shirt almost always pulls up past my weapon, I get some strange looks just because I have a 32oz beer and a gun, but they ease up after a while :)

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Well the no guns where alcohol is sold and consumed crap is the one big pain here in NC (other than the whole permit for concealed thing). I wont name names, but I have heard of very responsible, intelligent armed men deciding that staying very concealed while in a resturant or bar is an acceptablerisk.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

DreQo wrote:
Well the no guns where alcohol is sold and consumed crap is the one big pain here in NC (other than the whole permit for concealed thing). I wont name names, but I have heard of very responsible, intelligent armed men deciding that staying very concealed while in a resturant or bar is an acceptablerisk.

I would also say this can be an acceptable risk at times, however I do not live in a state the requires me to check my freedom at the door when I feel like drinking.

Basically you have to be smart about it, and obviously weigh the risks and benefits of carrying to whatever establishment you plan on going to, and if those benefits outweigh the risks than it may be considered acceptable by the individual while still unlawful.

If you consider yourself responsible enough to be able to handle a firearm after consuming a fair amount of alcohol, than it may be acceptable to you, but you have to judge that for yourself, and know the consequences before doing it.

By the way, is it a felony in NC to carry into one of those establishments?

If it was a felony I would think more heavily, but a misdeanor, although not a slap on the wrist would make it more acceptable to risk when it comes to mine and others safety.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I rarely drink, and if I am carrying, I don't drink at all. Granted the law says I can't, but I wouldn't either way. I've experienced many times how even a single drink can affect a decision, and if I shot someone with even one drink in me, I couldn't confidently say that I made the best decision.

Anyway, in NC, carrying in a place the serves alcohol is a class 1 misdemeanor. Now that I'm reading over this, I have another question for anyone who might be able to answer: The paragraph is titled "§ 14‑269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.", under which, in sub-paragraph (a), it states that "It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto...".

It seems to me that those two have NOTHING to do with each other. Could it be possible for one to argue that, since the admission fee clause is listed within the paragraph dealing with alcohol, that it applies only to those establishments where alcohol is consumed? If this was the case, it would open up places like movie theaters and the like.