• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How's this for an idea

savery

imported post

I've been wanting to get my concealed weapons permit for a while, however two things have been stopping me:
1. you have to do it 9-5, monday-friday. I don't feel like taking off of work for something that I shouldn't have to have a license for.
2. I hate background checks. I've gone through many, and don't have so much as a parking or speeding ticket to my name, ever, period. However, I'm afraid somebody will screw up and my SSN/fingerprints will come up as the zodiac killer or some crap. So what if I'm innocent, I don't think I should have to prove that to anyone!

The other thing is that I don't think I should have to have a license to carry a damn gun.
I hereby propose:

A campaign writing our state officials to repeal the requirement for a permit could have a shot. Instead of sucking up to their BS requirements, why don't we just fight it? Vermont has no requirement for a permit, why can't we?

If you're interested, let me know. I'll make up a basic form letter that you can edit and we can go from there. If anyone knows someone in VCDL that could get us some "press time" that would be great. I can probably get us mentioned in the richmond libertarian newsletter. Let me know what you think!

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

savery wrote:
...SNIP
The other thing is that I don't think I should have to have a license to carry a damn gun. 
SNIP...

You don't. You need a license to HIDE the weapon from plain sight.

I keep hearing people call for a movement to eliminate the permit requirement ala Vermont. It would be a LOT smarter to remove it ala Alaska. In Alaska those that want a permit can get one for reciprocity with other states. Vermont does not provide this option, and those people can ONLY carry in Vermont.

Regards

PS- Vermonter, please don't reply here, we already know how nice Vermont was before the New Yorkers moved there and spoiled it.

vrwmiller

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
I keep hearing people call for a movement to eliminate the permit requirement ala Vermont. It would be a LOT smarter to remove it ala Alaska. In Alaska those that want a permit can get one for reciprocity with other states. Vermont does not provide this option, and those people can ONLY carry in Vermont.

I am one who prefers AK style permitting.

LEO 229

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
savery wrote:
...SNIP
SNIP...

Regards

PS- Vermonter, please don't reply here, we already know how nice Vermont was before the New Yorkers moved there and spoiled it.

I'm going to second that.. Don't get vermonter started!! We finally got his to slow down now as it is... :lol:

The only problem is that any rang-a-muffin criminal will be able to hide a gun as they walk about. When we do catch them... it is one less stat for me and I need all the stats I can get to keep my boss happy.

Matter-o-fact.. savery... How about letting me turn you in as the zodiac killer so I can close some cases and get enough stats to last till the end of the year.. What do you say??

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
SNIP Matter-o-fact.. savery... How about letting me turn you in as the zodiac killer so I can close some cases and get enough stats to last till the end of the year.. What do you say??
Since when did you come over all ethical and start asking? :)

Scheetz

imported post

savery wrote:
I've been wanting to get my concealed weapons permit for a while, however two things have been stopping me:
1. you have to do it 9-5, monday-friday. I don't feel like taking off of work for something that I shouldn't have to have a license for.
2. I hate background checks. I've gone through many, and don't have so much as a parking or speeding ticket to my name, ever, period. However, I'm afraid somebody will screw up and my SSN/fingerprints will come up as the zodiac killer or some crap. So what if I'm innocent, I don't think I should have to prove that to anyone!
So, you do not like taking off work?? What kind of job do you have because thats what I want to do.

Depending on your area you may not need finger prints. It took me 10 minutes including the time I spent at the courthouse filling out the paper work to apply. Just make sure you bring that $50 in cash.

I can see not needing a permit, but its not like we are in MD where they can just say no.

The arguement for them should be, "We are not fighting drugs here people, you just can't say No."

LEO 229

imported post

Citizen wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
SNIP Matter-o-fact.. savery... How about letting me turn you in as the zodiac killer so I can close some cases and get enough stats to last till the end of the year.. What do you say??
Since when did you come over all ethical and start asking? :)
I need his cooperation only because I do not yet know where he lives... ;)

LEO 229

imported post

savery wrote:

If you really want something... you will make the time. You could go in to work late or leave early one day. The process will not take that long.

background checks are a way of life. Getting a credit card, a loan, Your mortgage... You have done good staying out of trouble and now you can rest assured that your application will go through just fine.

I would not worry about your name hitting on some serial killer. Unless there is a killer out there that is known with your name, DOB, and home address.... Your not going to be mistaken.

So go fill out that app and look forward to checking the mail every day till you get it!!!! :D

Vermont0311

imported post

Many states will allow Vermont residents to acquire a letter from their local police chief indicating that they are a citizen in good standing. Unfortunately that leaves it up to the local police authorities to determine who gets such a letter. I was fortunate to have lived in Maine prior to moving to Vermont and had a Maine State resident permit to carry concealed firearms and used that to get an NH and PA nonresident. Of course I had to reapply for a Maine nonresident...

savery

imported post

Alaska style would be fine.

The bottom line:

I DONT NEED A PERMIT TO DO SOMETHING GRANTED BY THE CONSTITUTION!

I suppose that's my main concern. my other concern that I forgot to mention was the fact that they put that "tag" on your registration. Mind you that could be solved by establishing a corporation and registering my vehicle to it, however I don't feel I should have to do that just to keep from being harassed by the police.

speaking of which, LEO229 - You mean Citizen's serial numbers didn't turn up enough for you to go on?

LEO 229

imported post

savery wrote:
Alaska style would be fine.

The bottom line:

I suppose that's my main concern. my other concern that I forgot to mention was the fact that they put that "tag" on your registration. Mind you that could be solved by establishing a corporation and registering my vehicle to it, however I don't feel I should have to do that just to keep from being harassed by the police.

speaking of which, LEO229 - You mean Citizen's serial numbers didn't turn up enough for you to go on?
Naw... he admitted that he transposed a few numbers... He was messing with me.. But his day is coming soon. Wait till I get home and we have dinner.. I am going to really let him have it! ;)

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

savery wrote:
...SNIP
The bottom line:

SNIP...

OF course you realize that the Constitution does not GRANT anything, It just recognizes a natural right of all humans.

(Hey if I didn't point it out someone else would):lol:

Regards

LEO 229

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
savery wrote:
...SNIP
The bottom line:

SNIP...

OF course you realize that the Constitution does not GRANT anything, It just recognizes a natural right of all humans.

Regards
I thought about saying something but... decided to let someone else enter the firing line.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

savery wrote:

If through some wild screw-up, your "record" has been erroneouslylinked to some felon,investigation, kind of crime, zodiac or otherwise, such a linkage won't go away simply because you do not undergo the background check for the CWP. The error would still be there--even if you don't apply.

If you need the permit, then it's gotta be better to get it and use it for whatever you need it for.

LEO 229

imported post

I agree with Hank.... Just do it! The problem, if any, would not go away and could surface at a much worse time.

TEX1N

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
savery wrote:
...SNIP
The bottom line:

SNIP...

Regards
+1

glocknroll

imported post

I agree completely that we shouldn't have to have a permit to carry concealed weapons. I have never really understand why Virginia stopped issuing concealed "weapon" permits and started issuing "Concealed handgun permits". I, at one time, had one of the old CWP's. It authorized carrying guns, knives (including switchblades), blackjacks, and I don't remember what else. I never made sense to me that an individual who can legally carry a firearm can't carry a fixed blade knife (or automatic opening knife) on their belt and put their coat on. I know knives are kind of off topic here, but in a free society the citizen should be able to carry anything the police can carry.I would gladly get on board with any attempt to get "Alaska Carry" in Virginia.

glocknroll

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
savery wrote:
...SNIP
SNIP...

Regards

I'm going to second that.. Don't get vermonter started!! We finally got his to slow down now as it is... :lol:

The only problem is that any rang-a-muffin criminal will be able to hide a gun as they walk about. When we do catch them... it is one less stat for me and I need all the stats I can get to keep my boss happy.

Matter-o-fact.. savery... How about letting me turn you in as the zodiac killer so I can close some cases and get enough stats to last till the end of the year.. What do you say??
If the rag-a-muffin criminal is prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm, then he would also be prohibited from carrying. I know, unless you arrested (or lawfully detained)him for some other crime you wouldn't be able to charge him for the gun. That's where Operation Exile comes in, and you send him away for minimum of 5 years.

LEO 229

imported post

glocknroll wrote:
I agree completely that we shouldn't have to have a permit to carry concealed weapons. I have never really understand why Virginia stopped issuing concealed "weapon" permits and started issuing "Concealed handgun permits". I, at one time, had one of the old CWP's. It authorized carrying guns, knives (including switchblades), blackjacks, and I don't remember what else. I never made sense to me that an individual who can legally carry a firearm can't carry a fixed blade knife (or automatic opening knife) on their belt and put their coat on. I know knives are kind of off topic here, but in a free society the citizen should be able to carry anything the police can carry.I would gladly get on board with any attempt to get "Alaska Carry" in Virginia.
Well, since there is a code that does prohibit the possession of a switch blade as well as many other weapons... Maybe this is why they changed it from "weapon" to "handgun"....

§ 18.2-311. Prohibiting the selling or having in possession blackjacks, etc.

If any person sells or barters, or exhibits for sale or for barter, or gives or furnishes, or causes to be sold, bartered, given or furnished, or has in his possession, or under his control, with the intent of selling, bartering, giving or furnishing, any blackjack, brass or metal knucks, any disc of whatever configuration having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, or like weapons, such person shall be guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor.

The having in one's possession of any such weapon shall be prima facie evidence, except in the case of a conservator of the peace, of his intent to sell, barter, give or furnish the same.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

savery,

I know at least one VCDL member who refuses to get a CHP because he refuses to cooperate with the government on the subject. He open carries--he doesn't ignore the requirement and CC anyway, he just OC's.