• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC into Chipotle on PW Parkway

Scheetz

imported post

Went to dinner tonight with some friends at Chipotle on Prince William Parkway, right there by the Mall. Was CC but they serve alcohol on premise. Received a whole lot of double takes, 2 stare downs from a late 30's woman and another older group of 30's people when I was leaving.

While waiting in that god awful line that wraps around the whole restaurant I had 2 girls behind me around 19-20 who took a picture of me. I turned back at the right time to see their flash go off and noticed it was pointed at my hip. I believe they first noticed my USP when the one bent down pony tail her hair and was looking right at my hip. To bad they weren't my type, could have been a great conversation starter or a horrible one. :uhoh: Right behind them I had a P.W. LEO who either never noticed I was carrying or knew the laws. He never said a word to me or really looked in my direction.

My only worry is, I use a C-Tac. Only my grip is exposed and I have an all black gun. With dark shirts I worry that if an officer wanted to be an asshole they could argue that I was not doing all that I could to OC and that I was still trying to hide it. Any assurances that I am in clear? I know you can't really do anything about it, but it was in the back of my mind with the officer standing right behind me.

vrwmiller

imported post

Hell, you should've talked to the girls anyway :dude:

In my experiences, I have found Prince William County LEO to be receptive and on the up & up as far as OC was concerned. Could they have been assholes about your holster and what not? The potential exists, but I don't think they'd be apt to being like that. It comes down to splitting hairs.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Seems to me if he could notice it, he couldn't very well argue it was concealed, could he?

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

There is in the code (not clearly stated) an implication that you would have to be trying to conceal the nature of the firearm as a firearm. If you have a black gun, in a black, holster, against a black shirt/pants, but in all other respects it is just a normal rig and gun, it would be very hard to make a case. The fact is that the gun IS in the open, and you are not intentionally try to hide its true nature.

Years ago (1970s) a guy was charged with CC without a permit for carrying in a flap top holster, that covered the weapon. He eventually was found not guilty.

I think it is possible for an aggressive LEO to press any charge. The real question is would you be convicted, and I think generally you would not. Of course it would still be a real hassle.

Regards

Ric in Richmond

imported post

That has always been my premise.

If I am OC in a restaurant with a bit of grip and back of slide showing IWB and someone sees it then it must be OC.

If they don't notice it (and it clearly IS a gun...it doesn't look like a cell phone or a leatherman tool) then they must not be observant.

I've OC'd chipotle on Broad street with zero issues. Even with my bigger gun that CLEARLY is a gun.