• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I am the Gun

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I am born of a purpose, a need, and I am born to serve. I come from the hottest fires, the strongest steels, and the finest woods. But I am born without a will of my own. At your beckoning, I can do the darkest evil, or the greatest good. I am your constant companion, friend and guardian. I have enslaved the free, and I have freed the enslaved. By my very existence I can stand for freedom, justice and liberty or the worst of tyranny. When I speak, I strike fear in the hearts of those who would oppose me. My voice has been heard around the world. Yet, even when I sleep, in my silence, my message can still be heard. I wait only for the call to duty.

I stood the ground at Concord, Lexington and Yorktown. I crossed the river at Valley Forge, and suffered the winter with Washington's men. I was in Philadelphia and saw the birth of a free nation under the rule of the people. I saw Washington City burn, and vanquished the British at the battle of New Orleans. I was at First and Second Manassas, Shiloh, Gettysburg, and Appomattox, and I forged a new Union dedicated to liberty and the equality of all men. I crossed the prairies, and the deserts and opened a new continent for a new nation. I crossed the Rockies, and forged the trails to Alaska.

I charged San Juan hill with Roosevelt, and fought the Kaiser in the trenches of France. I came ashore at Normandy, and stormed the beaches of Iwo Jima. I have ridden the sky and brought death to the enemies of freedom from above. I was at Kasserine Pass, and stood with Patton to liberate North Africa, Italy, and Europe. I was there to raise the flag of victory on Mount Suribachi, and I was aboard the Missouri to accept the Japanese surrender. By your guidance, I have been at the birth and death of nations, for better or worse. I am always ready, and I always run to the sound of battle.

In my darkest hours, I have done evil, because I have no will of my own. I was at Dealey Plaza in Dallas, and the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles and bore witness to the end of Camelot. I was on the Mall in Washington when a dream was born, and I was in Memphis when the darkness of evil fell upon that dream. I have ridden the night, and seen the evils and horror of hatred for its own sake. I ran the streets of Kristallnacht, and enabled the murder of millions. I have defended the despot, and the tyrant, and I have brought fear and death to the meek. I am not proud of these deeds, but they are not mine alone, for I have no will but yours.

At my best, I have brought comfort to those in fear in the darkest of times. I feed the hungry, and vanquish evil. I stand ready to guard your children, and your home. I protect you against the wolf and the bear. I am with you on the mid-watch, and I guard our nation. I fight crime with the police, and protect them from danger, but I also keep their powers in check. I accompany you on your walks, and I await the call to do your will. So long as I am present, you need not fear evil, tyranny or holocaust. All of these things I have done, I have done by your will alone. Together we have shaped the world.

I speak for you. I am your voice in time of strife or fear. I am your quiet companion, but I also speak your purpose in a resounding voice. I am your best friend, but I can also be your worst enemy. Carry me proudly, but carry me without malice or evil in your heart. Together we are the voice of freedom. I am the force behind your will. I am the gun.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

HankT wrote:
I like it.

The contrasts ofinarguaby good and frightfully bad deeds, the recognition of ahuman/object system, a hint of the responsibility being ascribed toan inanimate object, and the novelty of an explictly stateddanger ofchangeover from friend to foe, all make it a nicely provocative piece with some dman integrity.

Well done.

Hank you made some nice points here about this piece.

+1

If this is your work Hawk, you are a hell of a writer! Some mispelled words, but other than that it is very good.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Thank you for the kind words, but while I did write this, the original concept came from someplace (one) else, and I can't remember who or where. I would love to find the original.

I don't spell very well when I am awake, apparently I do worse at 3 in the morning. If it's still wrong, give me a hint.

Regards

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HankT wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
... the original concept came from someplace (one) else, and I can't remember who or where. I would love to find the original.

This may be it:

http://karing_51.tripod.com/follow_me.htm

I think that is it, but there was no music when I heard it originally, and I don't remember it being an actual poem. But it was a lot of years ago.

Regards