• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting in Melbourne, Australia

72Malibu

imported post

From CNN.com:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/06/17/australia.shooting.ap/index.html

I've bolded/formatted sections for highlightingand bracketed my own comments.

Gunman Shoots 3 in Melbourne
MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) -- A gunman opened fire on a downtown street during the morning rush hour Monday in Australia's second largest city, killing one man and critically wounding two other people while scattering terrified commuters, police said.

The suspect fled, and police launched a manhunt in the southern city of Melbourne, closing several streets and advising people to stay indoors as tactical officers armed with shotguns fanned out and helicopters joined the search overhead.

Police said the shooting did not appear to be a random act, and that it was believed a woman who was one of the victims knew the gunman.

The other two victims -- including the one who died -- were male bystanders who came to the aid of the woman during an altercation with a man who pulled out a gun, witnesses said.

"A girl came out of a building over the road, she was screaming and a guy had her by the hair," Ross Murchie told Australian Broadcasting Corp.

"She tried to grab hold of a taxi that was going by and the couple of bystanders went over to ask what was happening," Murchie said. "He let go of her hair, pulled out a gun and shot them all."

Inspector Steve Martin said the woman and one of the men who went to assist were rushed to hospital in critical condition with gunshot wounds to their chests. The third victim died at the scene, he said.

The shooting occurred on the corner of Flinders Lane and William Streets in central Melbourne around 8 a.m. Monday (2200 Sunday), sending hundreds of frightened commuters fleeing. A short time later, police said they had recovered a handgun and a jacket believed to have been worn by the attacker, who remained at large.

Prime Minister John Howard declined to comment directly on the shooting because he was not aware of the details, but said he was willing to open discussions on further tightening gun control laws [because they're apparently working??? *rolls eyes* - 72Malibu] with state leaders, who have responsibility for policing them.

Justice Minister David Johnston said Australian firearms laws already were very tight and that it was likely the gun used in Monday's shooting was obtained illegally [So, they're admitting that their gun control laws only disarm people who are most unlikely to commit a violent crime, leaving those who can and doillegally obtain them become far more braisen anddangerous... where's the logic in that? - 72Malibu].

"It is very, very, difficult for a law-abiding citizen to obtain a handgun," [CONFIRMED! - 72Malibu]Johnston said, adding: "If someone wants to purchase a concealable weapon on the black market they will probably be successful." [Admitting that their gun control laws DON'T WORK to prevent violent crime and prevent law-abiding citizens from being able to protect themselves... again, where's the logic in this? - 72Malibu]

Police said the gunman and the female victim may have been involved in a fight at a nightclub about 10 minutes before the shooting.

"It does appear that there was a relationship between the female and the male suspect," said Inspector Glenn Weir said. "Certainly we're not looking that it's a random act, certainly not gang-related. It appears as though it's a domestic-related incident."

This is what the United States is headed for if the antis have their way, we all know this as fact. Here it is, as reported in black and white on CNN.com nonetheless where there is an admission that tighter gun control doesn't do anything but prevent people from protecting themselves while simultaneously admitting that they can't prevent people from getting them illegally on the black market.

I forgot my duct tape today and I just can't fathom how people can be so stupid!I'm surprised people who think a system like that works can manage to dress themselves every morning!

LEO 229

imported post

This is just like DC.

Only the criminals will have the guns and the innocent people will not.

Just like drugs in the US.. They are illegal but they still make it over the border every day.

Smuggling guns in is limited only by... your imagination!!!!

LEO 229

imported post

Bulldog1967 wrote:
Only law-abiding people abide the law.:shock:

And from reading here.... even if they break a few laws.... they are still law abiding.

Even more so if they do not believe in a law... they are allowed to break it and still be law abiding.

Law Abiding = Someone who does not exist! NOBODY is that perfect that they have not broken a law intentionally or otherwise.

"Generally" Law Abiding = Someone who may break a few minor laws but will generally try not to.

Tomahawk

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Bulldog1967 wrote:

And from reading here.... even if they break a few laws.... they are still law abiding.

Even more so if they do not believe in a law... they are allowed to break it and still be law abiding.

Law Abiding = Someone who does not exist! NOBODY is that perfect that they have not broken a law intentionally or otherwise.

"Generally" Law Abiding = Someone who may break a few minor laws but will generally try not to.
Well, there's "law-abiding" and then there's "peaceable". Not always the same thing.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I have to wonder what will happen in Americaif the anti-gun people get their way and try to do the same thing that's happened in Australia. I know manypeople that own firearms, and I honestly cannot think of one that would peacefully surrender their constitutional right to bear arms. It seems that a mass gun confiscation like Australia's would result in widespread bloodshed;bloodshed while trying to confiscateAmericans' firearms, and bloodshed afterwards when America has no way to defendherself. Or is my circle of acquaintances just an unusual group?

vt357

imported post

dngreer wrote:
I have to wonder what will happen in Americaif the anti-gun people get their way and try to do the same thing that's happened in Australia. I know manypeople that own firearms, and I honestly cannot think of one that would peacefully surrender their constitutional right to bear arms. It seems that a mass gun confiscation like Australia's would result in widespread bloodshed;bloodshed while trying to confiscateAmericans' firearms, and bloodshed afterwards when America has no way to defendherself. Or is my circle of acquaintances just an unusual group?
No I don't think your circle is an unusual group. I think that is on par with the majority of gun owners in this country. They will be more than willing to use their arms in the event that the government comes to confiscate them.

The gun grabbers and the government know this - that is why widespread door to door confiscation will never happen. They will chip away at our rights slowly while we sleep on the job. Then one day we will wake up realize that our rights are gone and we didn't notice until it was too late. Then the few gunnies who are left won't put up much more than a whimper in the grand scheme of things.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

If we implemented similar restrictions in this country, would you guys turn in your guns? I have trouble answering thisquestion. I don't make a habit of breaking the law, but even a soldier that is given a bad order has the responsibility to refuse to carry out that order. I can't believe that the prime minister is open to more restriction of firearms. How much more can they restrict?

72Malibu

imported post

Ya know... I find that I'm questioning myself when it comes to how much I would want to remain a law abiding citizen (with regard to posession and carry of guns) if gun laws get to the point where I just can't put up with it anymore. I would much rather go to jail than to watch my wife and son or any innocent party become a victim of a violent crime.

In my mind, there comes a point when I will consider my family and my own safety and well being, conscience and morals above the laws passed by those with a misguided sense of doing what's "right" (and without accountability)for me and my family. I'm 100% positive that most people in here and elsewhere in the country share the same point of view.

No matter what laws are passed, what restrictions are levied, I can guarantee you one thing for sure... if anybody wishes to do viscious harm to my family, they can be sure that they will meet (or come very close to) an untimely end with whatever tools I have at my disposal. Their lives and well being are more important to me than anything, even my own.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
If we implemented similar restrictions in this country, would you guys turn in your guns? I have trouble answering this question. I don't make a habit of breaking the law, but even a soldier that is given a bad order has the responsibility to refuse to carry out that order. I can't believe that the prime minister is open to more restriction of firearms. How much more can they restrict?
I do not make a habit of breaking the law either. But WE,the red, white, and blue bleeding Americans give the governmentits power.Our government hasdecided that it does not need to listen toher people, and has begun to function as a separate unit with no one to answer to. If we do not clean house soon, guns won't be the only thing we will have to worry about. The Democrats and Republicans can only think about power for themselves and their party, and do nothingfor Americans. The majority of the politicians in Washington are selling us out, and America is going to fall because of them if something does not change. America is great, and no one will defeat us in an all out war, our leaders are simply destroying us from within. We are so worried about how we are different, and what the media has to say about every single thing that we are beginning to come apart at the seams. The majority of us are still good Americans who are really not that different.

I would never turn in my guns. It is my God given right to protect myself and my family. The government and the police cannot be everywhere at once to protect all citizens 24-7. The day the government decides it is more powerful, important, and superior to the constitution and her people is the day that government must be removed and a new government must be put in place.

Enough of my rant though... In short, my guns will have to be pried out of my stiff, cold, dead hands. I am not a violent man, and there is not much in this world that is worth dying for, but I will die for my family, my freedom, and my faith.

I'm sure this post will send anti-gun people scurrying to their keyboards to type about how crazy violent gun totting people shouldn't have access to such a violent weapon, but oh well, it's what I believe. I love my country, but I love my freedom a whole lot more!

unrequited

imported post

72Malibu wrote:
Probably, I'm so used to being only in the VA forum that I don't venture outside of it at all. Heck, the link in my favorites goes directly to the VA section.
Just link the http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/recent.htmlpage and you can see updates in any forum that's updated... it's color coded on whether or not you've read the thread since it's been updated, so it's very helpful.

Tomahawk

imported post

I often wonder about complying with a "turn 'em in" law myself, and I wonder. During Katrina lots of guns were confiscated right out of peoples homes and I don't recall any cops or guardsmen taking fire for their troubles.

I figure when the chips are really down most gunowners do not want to face a SWAT team all by themselves. They'll refuse to comply by hiding their weapons, maybe, but a one-man stand would be a rare event. The average human does not want to fight a gallant last stand, he wants a chance to actually win.

LEO 229

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Bulldog1967 wrote:

Well, there's "law-abiding" and then there's "peaceable". Not always the same thing.
Then you can add... trustworthy. ;)

Tomahawk