• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GOA Alert - McCarthy Bill Rammed Through The House

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.gunowners.org/a061407.htm

To be frank, a bill that has the support of all the anti-gun groups and the NRA will be tough to beat, but we will continue to fight every step of the way.
NRA gallus-snappers, stand and be counted! You have nothing to lose but your barstools.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

para_org

imported post

Anyone have a link to what the NRA is saying about all of this ?

As a long time life member I certainly would like to hear what "they" have to say.

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Federal/Read.aspx?id=3112

On June 13, the U.S. House of Representatives overwhelmingly passed H.R. 2640 by a voice vote. H.R. 2640, the “NICS Improvement Act,” is consistent with NRA’s decades long support for measures to keep guns out of the hands of those who have been adjudicated by a court as mentally incompetent. Additionally, H.R. 2640 makes some much needed, and long overdue, improvements to the NICS.

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

para_org wrote:
As a long time life member I certainly would like to hear what "they" have to say.
I am surprised that an activist (OC-ing) gallus-snapper would not know just where to go for his brothers' guidance. Or that his opinion on the course of his organization is not frequently asked.

THEY certainly ask and ignore my opinion regularly enough. 'Course I don't send any money.

I doubt every self-assigned epithet and attribute, like Anony No-Fear Mouse and 'long time life member.' "Love you long time, Sailor, ten dollah!"

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

Allen

imported post

OK. I'll stand up and be counted, Doug.

Just from the sound of your rant, you haven't read the bill, or if you have, you don't understand what it's doing. Either way, you are simply buying into the GOA's paranoia.

#1. It narrows the defnition of what is to be considered a mental disability.
#2. It requires the States to form some sort of board, commission or court procedure by which the disability may be removed. How the States decide to do this, not the feds, is the manner by which the disability may be removed.
#3. Once the disability has been removed, your name must then be taken out of the NICS database... Your right to have firearms is restored.
#4. If you are denied, you may then petition the federal court for a review. The court is then required to review "de novo." That means it is to look at all of the evidence, and decide for itself if the disability may be removed. This is the only time the feds are involved in the process.
#5. It specifically prohibits the DOJ from charging anything for a NICS check.
#6. It provides to the States, funds to update their own databases and to transmit the data to NICS.
#7. The feds are prohibited from using the data for anything other than the NICS.

Contrary to what the GOA is saying, this is a step in the right direction.

Under the current law, if you have been adjudicated as a mental case, your name is on the NICS forever. You have no way to get it off.

If you are one of the 87,000 veterans who had contact with the VA and were treated at a VA center for PTSD, you are a prohibited person. Many of these vets own guns and don't even know they are prohibited. It won't show up unless they try to buy a gun through an FFL. Amazingly enough, vets who were treated for PTSD through a VA "outreach center," were not reported. Only those who were treated at a VA hospital itself.

AAR, if this bill passes the senate and gets signed into law, there will be a way to get your name off the prohibited persons list (NICS database).

It opens the door for others, non-violent felons or those snagged by Lautenberg, to eventually get their names removed.

Can't do that now, as the method for doing so has been defunded (thanks Chuckie :cuss:)

But, after a couple of years and things work well, this same approach (giving back to the States, power stolen by the Feds) can be used on other "prohibited persons."

So what is not to like about this bill?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Allen wrote:
Just from the sound of your rant, you haven't read the bill, or if you have, you don't understand what it's doing. Either way, you are simply buying into the GOA's paranoia.
The GOA is way out in left field on this one. It is pandering to the extremist fringes of the pro-gun/rights community. It should let the adults (NRA) take care of business...

para_org

imported post

I am rather sure that Doug insulted me somewhere above. I am also rather sure that myself and others can consider the source of such and not be offended.

Yes Doug, I could have looked up the info myself.Bbut I ALSO wanted to see what others, including yourself, thought about what the NRA's official line might be.

And Doug, name calling is not something to hang your hat on. It reflects most of all on you.

Thanks EVERYONE for the good comments about this bill AND what the NRA is doing. I do not agree with everything they do, but I agree that this sounds like the right steps in these areas.

BTW my life membership was a gift many years ago from my (still) wife. I also got my kids life memberships last fall when the price was right. ( $300 each)

Allen

imported post

unrequited wrote:
...so does this fix (fund) the petition process of the BATF to get off their broken head list?
Unfortunately no, it doesn't.

What it does do, is to open the way to have another bill change 18 USC §925(c) to read the same as what they've done here. Let the States take care of it, and get the Feds out of the control loop.