• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Under 21

Brad Cowin

imported post

I know concealed carry would be illegal at 18, but what about open carry? Does open carry also require a permit?

I would be carrying a Taurus 615 or 605 .357.

I am located in Spokane, Washington.

Drewesque

imported post

In WA, open carry requires no permit. Possesion of a pistol by someone under 21, though, is restricted by RCW 9.41.240. You may want to hit the Washington board on this site. There are several WA-specific things, including police training bulletins reminding officers that OCing is legal. In Eastern WA, you should be more readily accepted than Seatte or Tacoma.

Should've mentioned, though, that you may not legally have a loaded pistol in a car without a concealed carry permit.

Man, I should really make sure I look up the laws before I type. I'd forgotten about RCW 9.41.240

Brad Cowin

imported post

Thanks for the reply man. No way around RCW 9.41.240 either Im assuming?
Seems like theres really no point to getting my own pistol until Im 21.

What about open carrying my 12ga? Its a smaller (18.5" barrell) home defense type.

Maybe it should be best to explain my situation a little more. Atleast 3 or 4 nights out of the week I like to go on a nice little hour or two walk, get some exercise and maybe enjoy a stogie. Problem is its not the nicest part of town and I'm not feeling 100% safe with just my Gerber anymore.

I would carry a pistol everywhere, but the above mentioned situation is the only place I would carry my shotgun.

Drewesque

imported post

[align=left]I don't often recommend breaking the law, but sometimes you do whatever you feel is best. You should be able to open carry the shotgun if you'd like, though.
[/align]

Desertscout

imported post

Thanks for the reply man. No way around RCW 9.41.240 either Im assuming?
Seems like theres really no point to getting my own pistol until Im 21
Yeah, there's a way around it. Just move toAmerica, er, I mean to astate with less restrictive gun laws. Here in NM, you can carry a handgun openly on your personor loaded and concealed in your car at age 19 anyplace that anyone else can.

Drewesque

imported post

Actually, WA is pretty good. Except for the 21 rule (which actually still allows those heading to competitions, ranges, and other educational or competitive sorts of things to carry one), we aren't too bad. We can legally open carry with no permit, we have no restrictions on magazine capacity or "assault weapons" (though we do have a ban on Class III weapons, so no full-auto or silencers). Our concealed permits are on a shall-issue basis. And, best of all, cities and counties can't pass more restrictive laws.

Sure, I'd love to get rid of all the restrictions, keep everyone's names from being in the system, and whatnot, but we are far better than many states.