• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NY Dog Shooting Cop Pleads Self Defense

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

OCing jogging copkills dog. Self-defense or execution?

Dog Shooting Cop Pleads Self Defense
Thursday, 14 of June , 2007

HAGUE—Poklemba and Hobbs, the law firm of part-time Glens Falls city court judge Gary C. Hobbs, is representing the Suffolk County cop criminally charged for shooting a dog on May 27 in the Town of Hague.

John J. Sheehan, 36, of Hauppauge, Long Island, appeared in Hague Town Court Thursday, arriving late for his arraignment on misdemeanor charges of animal cruelty, illegally discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a dwelling and across a highway.

The case has been adjourned until Aug. 2.

Although Sheehan shot the dog with a .38 caliber pistol on May 27 on Summit Drive where he also maintains a summer residence,the Warren County Sheriff’s Department did not lodge charges against the police officer until Thursday after Warren County Sheriff Larry Cleveland announced Tuesday he had “decided” to charge him.

When the incident first became public on June 4, Cleveland said he had asked the Warren County District Attorney’s office to determine if charges were warranted. There has been a public outcry expressing concerns about Sheehan since the shooting.

Sheehan is charged with shooting Zeus, a two year old boxer while his owner and a child watched. The dog was seriously injured by a gunshot to the head and had to be euthanized.

Sheehan was wearing a holstered handgun while he was allegedly jogging past the home of the Coon family and claims the dog came at him. It has been reported that Sheehan says that the dog had harassed his girlfriend the day previous. Witnesses say that he was testing the gun at his residence earlier in the day and then allegedly deliberately went to area of the Coon residence to bait the dog, shooting it when the dog left its owner’s property, Sheehan allegedly put his gun and shot it, claiming self defense.

Police said deadly force was unwarranted and they had been unable to establish that the dog was attacking Sheehan as he has claimed.

This is the third time since 2001 that Sheehan or his father, a retired police officer, have shot a dog in the residential area of Route 8 in Hague in northern Warren County. Sheehan shot and killed another dog on Summit Drive in July 2005. He wasn’t charged in that incident, also citing self defense. When Sheehan’s father shot a dog on his son’s property, he escaped charges too.

If convicted, Sheehan faces up to a year in jail and a $1,000 fine on the animal cruelty charge, and three months each plus a $200 fine on each of the firearms charges. 6-14-07

http://www.northcountrygazette.org/news/2007/06/14/cop_shooter/

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

In over 50 years on this planet I have never had to shoot a domesticated dog. I have had to shoot a few rabid foxes, and some feral cats, but never a domesticated dog. Now that is not to say that I have never gotten close. I have and on more than one occasion. But, I worked in Game law enforcement, where these issues came up frequently, so while it is possible that this guy could have been involved in two legitimate dog shootings, is likely that they were provoked.

The report implies that this guy baited the dog and prepared in advance to shoot it. If that is true I hope they throw the book at him. The fact that he has a history in his family of this behavior, while not dispositive, is relevant.

Regards

DT4E31

imported post

The officer in question, and his family have a home in an area that only has one road. The are numerous feral/stray dogs on the road. In the past he was chased up a tree by one of these wild dogs. The "dog warden" has in the past 5 years, issued 0 tickets for unleased dogs. They all know each other in that county. The judge has changed venue, she wants no part of ruling in a case involving locals and the vacation home crowd. If a dog charges you and your armed, especially in a rural isolated area, I dont see a problem in defending yourself, no matter how many times you may be in that situation.