• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Guy

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Tess wrote:
I work on the Fair Oaks Mall perimeter road. I've been tempted several times to OC in the mall, but since I lock the gun in the car while I'm at work, I usually don't get it out while I go to lunch.

You don't say what "work clothes" are for you. Is it a uniform?

I'm not criticizing you at all. I wouldn't be in a uniform, so any interaction I had would probably be different. I think you did as you needed. I probably would have prefaced it with "As I'm sure you know, I don't need a permit or official position to carry openly in Virginia."

Seems to me she was more worried about having to answer a few calls than having you OC on mall property. That indicates 2 things:
- She's there so she doesn't have to work for a living.
- The mall doesn't have a "no guns" policy.

So I think next week (I'm off site the rest of this week) I'll OC over there.

Any time anyone wants to do lunch at the mall there, or meet immediately after work, just give a shout. We can meet for coffee or whatever.

Please do OC there and let us know. I would be very curious to hear your report.

LEO 229

imported post

Good point... The Fair Oaks Mall does not have a "No Gun Policy"

yet... ;)

nickerj1

imported post

Tess wrote
You don't say what "work clothes" are for you. Is it a uniform?

Shirt and tie and dress pants. Like someone else suggested above, I seriously doubt anyone called in and complained. The guys behind the counter at the Coldstone were noticeably extra respectful to me compared to the other people in line.

And I didn't want to pull the "I don't have to tell you anything" cause malls are all privately owned and they usually ban for that kinda stuff.

LEO 229

imported post

nickerj1 wrote:
And I didn't want to pull the "I don't have to tell you anything" cause malls are all privately owned and they usually ban for that kinda stuff.

Good decision... Education vs "who are you?" I think goes a long way. The mall is not a gun free zone and security could at any time contact the people in charge in regards to putting up signs.

IMOKeeping it on a nice level will help keep those thoughts out of mall securities heads.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

First you say:

LEO 229 wrote:

yet... ;)

Then, 12 hours later you say:

The mall is gun free and security could at any time contact the people in charge in regards to putting up signs.
Bolds above added by me for emphasis...

Make up your mind:banghead:

ChinChin

imported post

bohdi wrote:
I've seen no signs stating no weapons at any of the entrances, last vist was this past Sunday.

I eat lunch there 3-5 times a week (I work across the street) and there are no signs, nor any posted policy on their website, nor on the Taubman site which owns Fair Oaks mall.

Tess, I'll take you up on your offer to meet for Coffee. You'd be the first OCDO poster I've met. We can down a cup of java at the Starbucks in center court and swap war stories!

LEO 229

imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
First you say:

LEO 229 wrote:

yet... ;)

Then, 12 hours later you say:

The mall is gun free and security could at any time contact the people in charge in regards to putting up signs.
Bolds above added by me for emphasis...

Make up your mind:banghead:

OH!!! Sorry. My hands did not type what my mindwas trying to convey.

The mall is not a "gun free" zone...

Sorry ;)

AbNo

imported post

nickerj1 wrote:

And besides, from the sound of it, her opinion was "Sorry, just doing my job. Got to put on a show for the whining sheeple."

So, why cause a stink?

riegnman

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
nickerj1 wrote:

Good decision... Education vs "who are you?" I think goes a long way. The mall is not a gun free zone and security could at any time contact the people in charge in regards to putting up signs.

IMOKeeping it on a nice level will help keep those thoughts out of mall securities heads.

I agree completely. I can get beligerant because I have the law on my side or I can keep it nice for as long as the other party allows and maybe educate someone. Not to mention, she did say "get your suit and leave as soon as you can.", right. That means that if he had pushed the issue, she could have called the real LEOs and had him arrested for criminal trespassing.

nickerj1

imported post

I thought they have to request you to leave, you have to refuse, then and only then could they charge you with trespassing. LEO229?

LEO 229

imported post

nickerj1 wrote:
I thought they have to request you to leave, you have to refuse, then and only then could they charge you with trespassing. LEO229?
Once your asked/told to leave.. you must leave immediately by the most direct route.

It you refuseor delay in leaving... They could get a warrant for trespassing if they wanted to. If they tell you in front of the LEO and you refuse.. LEO can then write you a summons for trespassing.

Side Note: If you have no way to prove your identify... you would be arrested and taken before a magistrate. Proof could be accomplished by your ID card or providing your Name, DOB, and SSN for your state ID so it can be reviewed for a physical match.

riegnman

imported post

nickerj1 wrote:

You said that she asked you to please get your suit and leave, right? I would think that that would be enough to at least constitute her calling the police. If for example you had sat back down and said, "no I'm going to finish my drink first". I don't know the law, but I don't know that I would have pushed the issue any further at that point. The fact is, we have rights and they also have rights. If the manager or head of security says that they don't want you there because you choose to exercise your rights as an upstanding American citizen, then vote with your pocketbook and let them know that you will be leaving but that you don't support companies, or groups of companies where the mall is concerned,that infringe on your second amendment. You are not going to make that big of a difference by yourself, but that is what a conviction is. You choose to do what you believe is right even if it discomforts you or inconveniences you and even if it doesn't "change the world". I have made that decision with the local movie theater here. Tinseltown, which is a cinemark theater, has a big green sign posted out front that says no firearms. I think that John Pierce has a picture of it somewhere on this site. I told the management that I would not be patronizing their theaters because of it. Now, they aren't going bankrupt because they don't get my $7.50, but I still will not patronize the company. Not because I hope to change their policy because I know that I won't. Simply because I will not have someone tell me that I can't exercise a right that so many have died so that I could have. Just my .02.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Today's the day. I have to pick up an item in the mall after work. Since I'm not dressed for OC, I brought jeans, belt, and holster, and will change before I go across the street.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

No issues at FairOaks Mall. I had to pick up an order at Kay Jewelers, so was a bit concerned going in to a jewelry store -- and they had already ticked me off and knew it.

Then I stopped at Caribou Coffee for an espresso chiller. Sat there for 10-15 minutes and made a couple of phone calls.

I'm not sure anyone even noticed.