• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

From FOX NEWS

67GT390FB

imported post

METAIRIE, La.— A 17-year-old boy foiled an attempted carjacking, wrestling a gun from a would-be robber and shooting him after the man grabbed his mother, authorities said.[/b]

Carl Chestnut, wounded in the head and torso, will face armed robbery charges once he is released from East Jefferson General Hospital, Col. John Fortunato, a Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office spokesman, said Monday.

The 53-year-old woman, whose name wasn't released, and her son were in the drive-through line at an Arby's Roast Beef Restaurant early Monday when Chestnut, 44, walked up and pointed a gun at her, demanding their money and the car, Fortunato said.

When he leaned inside, trying to yank the mother out of the car, the 17-year-old grabbed the gun, Fortunato said. He said it went off once as they struggled, but did not hit anyone. Once the youth got the gun, he shot Chestnut several times, Fortunato said.

Sylena Rhodes, a corporate officer for Arby's, said, "He saved his mother's life. He's a hero. He's an absolute hero."

While acknowledging the gamble succeeded, authorities stressed that it's safer to cooperate in such a case.

"Give them the money and give them the keys," Sheriff Harry Lee said. "You make an insurance payment on your car, and nobody gets shot."
Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.[/i]
[/b]

Kelly J

imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
67GT390FB wrote:
... and nobody gets shot.

I wasn't aware that Sheriff Harry Lee was clairvoyant.

Apparently, sice he IS the Sheriff and all, he KNOWS that they would not have been shot ANYWAY if they cooperated.

Yet another idiot sheriff that doesn't think you should protect yourself. :banghead:

I have a real problem with this concept I know that it is the current recommended response but why should a person give up things they have worked hard to be able to afford, to just back off and let some worthless A** Hole take it from them, yes the boy could have been shot even killed but heraised an alarm that there was something going on that was not right and besides he was protecting his Mother for crying out loud.

There is no guarantee in life so you must do what you think is right for you if it is to surrender your stuff then fine but if it is to resist and do what you can to keep and protect that which is yours then I think that is fine also.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

...but why should a person give up things they have worked hard to be able to afford
Plus the fact that they may have been going to be killed anyway...

Life is full of decisions. This kid analyzed the current situation and decided the best action was to seize the opportunity that arose (gun grab) and resist.

Idiot Sheriff is spewing advice that has no bearing on the situation at hand.
By his statement, he does not believe in self defense at all.

He would have better, and more truthfully said "Sometimes it is better to not resist, sometimes you must resist to avoid imminent death or bodily injury. Based on the events that were transpiring, the kid did what he thought was the best means for survival in the current situation, and prevailed."

...authorities stressed that it's safer to cooperate in such a case.
More irresponsible advice from "authorities". None of which could possibly know the best course of action without being in the situation personally
They should be fired.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Kelly J,

Partly because lots of ignorant people believe that NO property is worth thetaking of some POS criminal's life. I say it is, and I'm not even a materialistic person whatsoever.

Besides, aren't we supposed to be involved in the "War on Crime?" That means shooting criminals, right?

Contrary to ignorant but very popular public belief, not ALL life is "sacred." Just being alive doesn't cut it and there is an incredible amount of human trash on this planet.

-- John D.

tarzan1888

imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
Kelly J,

Partly because lots of ignorant people believe that NO property is worth thetaking some POS criminal's life.

These are the same people that think that nothing is worth giving your life for.

They are wrong and this young man and the many people who have given their lives so that these numb noggins can think that, are the ones that are right.

:banghead:

preacher

imported post

There is only a bridge separating that parish [county] with New Orleans which loves taking guns from lawful citizens.

:monkey

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

I thought a law was passed to prevent the confiscation of firearms in an emergency situation.

If not, then maybe it will have to come to another confrontation with "the authorities," as it did back in 1775 at the North Bridge in Concord.

--John D.

Kelly J

imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
Kelly J,

Partly because lots of ignorant people believe that NO property is worth thetaking of some POS criminal's life. I say it is, and I'm not even a materialistic person whatsoever.

Besides, aren't we supposed to be involved in the "War on Crime?" That means shooting criminals, right?

Contrary to ignorant but very popular public belief, not ALL life is "sacred." Just being alive doesn't cut it and there is an incredible amount of human trash on this planet.

-- John D.
I live by the principle that the things I have earned and aquired are mine unless I deside to liquidate said property, and rest assured I will defend that which is mine from any lazy, no count, low life that thinks they can get it at little or no cost to them, they better hope their health insurance is paid up, in force, and covers criminal actions commited by them because I will Kill if need be to keep what I have worked hard to aquire.

imported post

Here's what the Louisiana state constitution says: Every citizen has the right to acquire, own, use, protect, enjoy, control and dispose of private property. If it comes down to using deadly force, I would consider that to fall under the heading of "protecting."

AbNo

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

While acknowledging the gamble succeeded, authorities stressed that it's safer to cooperate in such a case.

"Give them the money and give them the keys," Sheriff Harry Lee said. "You make an insurance payment on your car, and nobody gets shot."

It seems to me that this is very similar to the "standard" advice for airline passengers prior to 9/11. The young man in this story impresses me as the spirit of Todd Beamer incarnate. And unless my memory fails me, Louisiana passed a law a few years ago that specifically provides for the shooting of carjackers as a lawful act.

It would seem to me that you need to conduct a recall election, and replace Sheriff Harry Lee with a more well informed LEO.

Regards

Particle

imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
Kelly J,

Partly because lots of ignorant people believe that NO property is worth the taking of some POS criminal's life. I say it is, and I'm not even a materialistic person whatsoever. 

-- John D.

Now hold on a moment. That's awfully closed-minded of you, don't you think? Possessions (material or not) are worth exactly what a person feels they are worth. There isn't a single "right" system of measure for objects' worths. A rusty spoon might be worth a thief's life to one person and a fancy car might not be worth a person's life to another. Both are right, since the value of anything at the most basic of levels is strictly based on one's own perceptions and opinions.

mzbk2l

imported post

That's all well and good, Ryan, but what assurance do you have that he's just going to say thank you and drive away after you give up the keys?

How many times do we read that a clerk was shot AFTER giving up the money? Often enough that I'm not going to trust my life or my health to some nut with a gun. Even if he doesn't shoot me for the car, he's likely to get even braver and shoot the next person he tries to rob.

People like that have no respect for the belongings of others, INCLUDING their lives. If he points a gun at me, I'll consider my life to be in danger and I'll react accordingly.

Kelly J

imported post

Why should we as citizens, give anything up that we have worked hard for, to any SOB, that is simply to lazy to get a job, and earn the money to aquire the things he wants, I say no way, for 65 years I have, as most of you have worked, to earn a living for our families, and to provide them with the things of comfort, that will help to make life more enjoyable for us, Sorry I'm just not willing to surrender these things with a by your leave, to some low life, lazy, worthless peice of s**t, that for the most part, if they don't trash it, will abandon it, or as is the usual case, simply go for a joy ride in the case of the car. Usually though the car is sold to a chop shop, or just delivered to one, as the thug was working for the chop shop in the first place, if that is thecase, why cain't they just get an honest job, I know it won't pay as much, but they don't have to keep looking over their shoulder to spend it, My personal feeling about the criminal element is a two prong approach one shot, and one thud, as they hit the ground, problem solved!

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Okay, I thought I should clarify myself a little better -- Unfortunately I am at work right now, and can only type a bit at a time, but I will retract what I said earlier until I can better explain it... I read it again and it doesn't really make sense the way I wanted it to.

sccrref

imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
METAIRIE, La.— A 17-year-old boy foiled an attempted carjacking, wrestling a gun from a would-be robber and shooting him after the man grabbed his mother, authorities said.[/b]

Carl Chestnut, wounded in the head and torso, will face armed robbery charges once he is released from East Jefferson General Hospital, Col. John Fortunato, a Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office spokesman, said Monday.

The 53-year-old woman, whose name wasn't released, and her son were in the drive-through line at an Arby's Roast Beef Restaurant early Monday when Chestnut, 44, walked up and pointed a gun at her, demanding their money and the car, Fortunato said.

When he leaned inside, trying to yank the mother out of the car, the 17-year-old grabbed the gun, Fortunato said. He said it went off once as they struggled, but did not hit anyone. Once the youth got the gun, he shot Chestnut several times, Fortunato said.

Sylena Rhodes, a corporate officer for Arby's, said, "He saved his mother's life. He's a hero. He's an absolute hero."

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.[/i]
[/b]
What would happen if Sheriff Lee's deputies followed his advice when they responded to calls? I must agree that his mental accumen leaves something to be desired.

TrueBrit

imported post

sccrref wrote:
67GT390FB wrote:

[/b]
What would happen if Sheriff Lee's deputies followed his advice when they responded to calls? I must agree that his mental accumen leaves something to be desired.

Could it be that the sheriff and the authorities are miffed because this courageous young man has shown them the proper way to respond to armed criminals? Much more of this kind ofpositive action,and the cops will be relegated to crossing guard duties!;)The sheriff bleats the usual platitudes, but he is in no position to judge!He needs his head read!A few more thugs righteously slain by the citizenry upon whom they would prey, and perchance the remaining thugsmight rethink their choice of profession!

TrueBrit.