• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

City of Pittsburgh Ordinance

denwego

imported post

All of Pittsburgh's ordinances concerning firearms are on this page:

http://library2.municode.com/mcc/template.htm?view=document&doc_action=setHitDoc&doc_hit=1

The statute you're looking for is this, I believe:

§ 607.06 CARRYING OF OPERABLE FIREARMS PROHIBITED. No person shall carry in any vehicle or concealed or unconcealed on or about his person except when on his or her land or in his or her own abode or fixed place of business any firearm; provided that this section shall not apply to: (a)Those persons specifically exempted under 18 P.S. Sec. 6106(b)(1-10); or (b)Any person issued a valid license to the Pennsylvania Uniform Firearms Act when carrying the type of weapon for which such license was issued. (Ord. 11-1980, eff. 7-25-80; Am. Ord. 30-1993, eff. 12-9-93)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mike wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Neither am I sufficiently familiar with PA state law to know exactly what is and isn't pre-empted.
Answer - all carry and possession.

Is there not an exception for Philadelphia?

Is there an exception for cities of a certain size/population?

Falcon118

Turtle Creek (outside of Pittsburgh), Pennsylvania
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Mike wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Neither am I sufficiently familiar with PA state law to know exactly what is and isn't pre-empted.
Answer - all carry and possession.

Is there not an exception for Philadelphia?

Is there an exception for cities of a certain size/population?
Philadelphia is a "City of the 1st class" as defined in the PUFA and requires a license to open carry. It would seem to me that PUFA would trump § 607.06 of the City Code and allow open carry. Any other comments would be appreciated. Thanks to all that provided the links to the information. (edited to add my personal thanks :D)

knight0334

imported post

Falcon118 wrote:
I keep hearing that the City of Pittsburgh has an ordinance against open carry that is preemted by State Law, but I can find no information about it. Does anyone have any links to this info?? Thx

Falc

In Ortiz v. Commonwealth, it was ruled that State law prohibited lessor municipalities to govern ownership or carrying of firearms. That State law said that those who carry in a City of the First Class, 1 million residents, need to have a license to carry whether openly or concealed.

Absolutely NO laws were grandfathered, any municiple law on the books is null and void. Any law created after the enactment of State preemption is in violation of State law.

The City of Pittsburgh is about 550,000 people short of becoming a City of the First Class.

You may lawfully open carry in the City of Pittsburgh, and if you are arrested, cited or otherwise negatively treated - the officers that had just violated your rights are guilty of "Official Oppression" - a second degree misdenmeaner. Nearly all LEO's and their corrosponding departments are well aware that open carry is legal without a license.

=======

§ 5301. Official oppression. A person acting or purporting to act in an official capacity or taking advantage of such actual or purported capacity commits a misdemeanor of the second degree if, knowing that his conduct is illegal, he:
  1. subjects another to arrest, detention, search, seizure, mistreatment, dispossession, assessment, lien or other infringement of personal or property rights; or
  2. denies or impedes another in the exercise or enjoyment of any right, privilege, power or immunity.
========
§ 106. Classes of offenses.
(a) General rule.--An offense defined by this title for which a sentence of death or of imprisonment is authorized constitutes a crime. The classes of crime are:
  1. Murder of the first degree, of the second degree or of the third degree, first degree murder of an unborn child, second degree murder of an unborn child, or third degree murder of an unborn child.
  2. Felony of the first degree.
  3. Felony of the second degree.
  4. Felony of the third degree.
  5. Misdemeanor of the first degree.
  6. Misdemeanor of the second degree.
  7. Misdemeanor of the third degree.
(b) Classification of crimes.--

7. A crime is a misdemeanor of the second degree if it is so designated in this title or if a person convicted thereof may be sentenced to a term of imprisonment, the maximum of which is not more than two years.

Falcon118

Turtle Creek (outside of Pittsburgh), Pennsylvania
imported post

Thanks for more info Knight. I'm aware of the state preemtion of all the laws, what I was really looking for was the actual ordinance from the City code that some of the City Police try to site when I am a victim of the "Man with a gun" call. From personal experience I can say that about 1/2 of the officers I have encountered in this instance know that the code is preemted, and the other half either dont know or dont care.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

knight0334 wrote:
In Ortiz v. Commonwealth, it was ruled that State law prohibited lessor municipalities to govern ownership or carrying of firearms. That State law said that those who carry in a City of the First Class, 1 million residents, need to have a license to carry whether openly or concealed.
Well, the Ortiz ruling didn't create, but rather affirmed the existing statute:

TITLE 18 Chapter 61 Subchapter A § 6120.

(a) General rule.--No county, municipality or township may in any manner regulate the lawful ownership, possession, transfer or transportation of firearms, ammunition or ammunition components when carried or transported for purposes not prohibited by the laws of this Commonwealth.