• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another New Guy

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

I was raised in Falls Church, right down in the heart of the city on South Virginia Avenue. I went to Madison Elementary, then George Mason Jr.Sr. high school.. both fine public schools back then (of course, Madison was torn down back in the 70's as I recall).

To Hawkflyer;

I well remember the airport where Skyline Towers is now. I also remember the airport at the spot that is now Loehmann's Plaza at route 50 and Graham road. And I also remember when Tyson's Corner was an Esso station and a veternary clinic at the intersection of 123 and route 7.. both two-lane country roads. There was nothing else out there back then. And I remember when Seven Corners was a field and the area was called by its proper name; Fort Buffalo. Falls Church was never considered the stick because it backed up to Arlington which is the Virginia side of D.C. However, Fairfax City and Centreville were definitely out there. Do you remember the Super 29 Drive-In close to the detention center? Or the Lee Highway Drive-In in Merrifield. Or the Mount Vernon Drive-In in eastern Fairfax off route 1? And how about Tops Drive-In.. our favorite hangouts. I certainly do remember the trolley cars in D.C. and the turn around at the Virginia end of Key Bridge in Rosslyn. Since you lived in McLean, do you remember the McLean Teen Club off of Old Chain Bridge road just before the intersection with Old Dominion? I use to play there in a rock band every other week. Do you remember Hangman's tree in Falls Church?

To LEO 229;

Even when I was in high school, the only foreigners I ever saw in the area were occasionally Koreans and the foreign exchange student in our school. That was it. Never saw any hispanic types back then.. didn't even know what the term meant. We did have a neighbor who was a Falls Church police officer who married a German lady and brought her back to the states after WWII. And there was a Hungarian family in our development which had escaped their country when the Soviets overran it in 1956.

To vrwmiller;

I was introduced to drag racing at the Manassas 1/8 mile strip. In my late teens and early 20's, I lived at several of the local tracks, mostly Aquasco. I saw Richard Petty run on the track (yes, the drag strip) at Manassas once. For two years, he campaigned a Barracuda with the obligatory 426 Hemi. Oh, and please don't use the term "redneck". To a Southern male, that's about the same thing as calling a black man a nigger. Not the best of terms for sure.

To Marcus;

I well remember the two movie theaters in Annandale and the Irish pub you mentioned. When Shakey's Pizza, and later the Spagetti Mill, opened up there, that was usually our Friday night fun. I really liked Annandale back then.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I remember the drive in out by 50 which is now a Cosco. I remember when there was a farm that was along Burke Centre Parkway too.

vrwmiller

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
I was introduced to drag racing at the Manassas 1/8 mile strip. In my late teens and early 20's, I lived at several of the local tracks, mostly Aquasco. I saw Richard Petty run on the track (yes, the drag strip) at Manassas once. For two years, he campaigned a Barracuda with the obligatory 426 Hemi. Oh, and please don't use the term "redneck". To a Southern male, that's about the same thing as calling a black man a nigger. Not the best of terms for sure.
Naturally, no offense was meant.

I am a country or southern boy and am not offended when referred to as a redneck. Like many phrases/terms, the socially accepted definition changes. In my experience, it is no longer an insult or vulgar phrase.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Legba wrote:
"California... tumbles into the sea... that'll be the day I go back to Annandale..."

-- "My Old School," Steely Dan

It would seem that everyone has thought this place to be in decline for a while now.

-ljp

According to MapQuest, there are 6 Annandales in the US, so I don't know how we'd know which one they're talking about...

SouthernBoy

imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
Naturally, no offense was meant.

I am a country or southern boy and am not offended when referred to as a redneck. Like many phrases/terms, the socially accepted definition changes. In my experience, it is no longer an insult or vulgar phrase.

I'm sure we're fine, sir. What I find most offensive about the term "redneck" is the fact that is is almost always used in a demeaning fashion when speaking of Southerners.. especially those who live in rural areas. Personally, I don't care for either of these terms and avoid using them as much as possible.

SouthernBoy

imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
Legba wrote:
"California... tumbles into the sea... that'll be the day I go back to Annandale..."

-- "My Old School," Steely Dan

It would seem that everyone has thought this place to be in decline for a while now.

-ljp

According to MapQuest, there are 6 Annandales in the US, so I don't know how we'd know which one they're talking about...

I can assure you they're speaking of Annadale, VA. Donald Fagen went to Annandale High School. In the song, "My Old School", they also mention "William and Mary" college, one of the state's finest institutions of higher learning and the alma mater of Thomas Jefferson.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:

I was raised in Falls Church, right down in the heart of the city on South Virginia Avenue. I went to Madison Elementary, then George Mason Jr.Sr. high school.. both fine public schools back then (of course, Madison was torn down back in the 70's as I recall).

To Hawkflyer;

I well remember the airport where Skyline Towers is now. I also remember the airport at the spot that is now Loehmann's Plaza at route 50 and Graham road. And I also remember when Tyson's Corner was an Esso station and a veternary clinic at the intersection of 123 and route 7.. both two-lane country roads. There was nothing else out there back then. And I remember when Seven Corners was a field and the area was called by its proper name; Fort Buffalo. Falls Church was never considered the stick because it backed up to Arlington which is the Virginia side of D.C. However, Fairfax City and Centreville were definitely out there. Do you remember the Super 29 Drive-In close to the detention center? Or the Lee Highway Drive-In in Merrifield. Or the Mount Vernon Drive-In in eastern Fairfax off route 1? And how about Tops Drive-In.. our favorite hangouts. I certainly do remember the trolley cars in D.C. and the turn around at the Virginia end of Key Bridge in Rosslyn. Since you lived in McLean, do you remember the McLean Teen Club off of Old Chain Bridge road just before the intersection with Old Dominion? I use to play there in a rock band every other week. Do you remember Hangman's tree in Falls Church?

SNIP...

I remember most of those drive ins, and actually went to most of them a few times on dates when I got a little older. We won't get into with whom or the details of what went on. I actually lived in west Falls Church from about age 1-4, and people could not under stand why my Father had moved to "the Sticks". Then we moved to Oakton until I was about 12, and subsequently to McLean.

When we lived in Falls Church, I used to wander up the block to visit the fountains in the National Memorial Cemetery. Technically I suppose that would be eastern Merrifield area or West end Falls Church. I went to school just down rt. 29 from the house. I can't remember the name of the place, but last time I was over there the building was still there, and painted a very bright pink. My Brother went to Graham road school. My Dad used to sit on the back porch and plink rats off the garbage cans of the small apartments behind our house, with a .22 pistol. In those days people thought is was a valuable public service and nobody objected.

I remember the Teen club well. I also remember the "Subway" over on Springhill road, near Odrick's corner (Lewinsville road, and Spring Hill road). Along with the Esso you mentioned next to Tyson's farm, there was also a feed and grain store, and a meat locker under the tower.

As for Top's, "H" yes I remember it. There was one at Fairfax circle. We went there often. That was when it was really a circle, without the center cut through. As for Centerville, it was really in the sticks. Right between where the Fairfax Parkway hits route 29, and Betty's rose farm there is a subdivision called Cannon Ridge. A friend of mine's Father built that and we used too go there to shoot for years. Fair oaks mall was a neighborhood that if memory serves was called Pendaw, but the Fairfax county garage was also located in there and Mount "Trashmore" wasn't even a mole hill.

Oakton was a small village, with a general store (wooden sidewalk and all), barber shop, a church, and a post Office, at the intersection of Hunter Mill Road and 123. At that time the original oak tree was alive and stood in the middle of the intersection in a triangle. About once a year someone would hit it and total their car. Flint Hill School was noting more than the original Tavern, but it was located over by what is now the route 66/123 cloverleaf. I went to school there for a while and it was a VERY cool building. Sometime in the early 60's they added a few classroom buildings.

Near my house in Oakton was a flat track raceway. They raced midgets there. I used to hang out there with the owners kind, and his dad built us each go carts lat looked like miniature midget racers. We had a lot of fun racing around that track.

As for the "redneck" thing, I would not sweat it too much. Yankee's, youngsters, and yahoos just do not understand the genesis of the term and why anyone would find it offensive. The same people use the term "Southern Cracker" all the time. If they knew the genesis of that term they might not be so quick to use it to try and yank peoples chain.

Frankly, I am proud to be a southerner, I am a lot prouder to be from the Commonwealth of Virginia. We grow Presidents and statesmen here, and I think the rest of the country is just jealous.:lol:

You and I should meet sometime over long lunch.

Regards

SouthernBoy

imported post

To Hawkflyer;

The National Memorial Cemetery actually was and is in Fairfax County. It was never in Falls Church. The City of Falls Church is tiny.. less than 2.2 square miles. West End Falls Church is the area surrounding and west of where North and South West street and West Broad street intersect. But I understand the confusion. Many people think that George C. Marshall High School, Jefferson Village, and Loehmann's Plaza are in Falls Church when they are not at all within the city.

If you recall the McLean Teen Club, do you remember two bands that used to play there in the mid-60's called the Titans and the Ambers? I was in the Ambers.

I also am proud to call myself a Virginian. Eventually, I hope to make it to South Carolina for the balance of my days, but I hold no shame for my native roots. Yeah lunch could work. Get a few of the others who have contributed to the memories to come along and what the hey.

SB

vrwmiller

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
I also am proud to call myself a Virginian. Eventually, I hope to make it to South Carolina for the balance of my days, but I hold no shame for my native roots. Yeah lunch could work. Get a few of the others who have contributed to the memories to come along and what the hey.
I, too, am proud to be a Virginian. I also lived in SC for almost 10 years. For many years, I referred to SC as my home. However, the largest portion of my life was spent in VA. So, VA is my new home.

We have done lunch before, as recently as a couple of weeks ago. I am certainly open to doing it again.

I am considering a trip to Old Dominion Speedway on June 30. Perhaps this can be an outing as well.

Shooter McGavin 01

imported post

Mark, welcome to the forum. You will encounter some interesting information here about open carry but, be advised don't rock the boat on this forum or you will be labeled a troll and your thread will be closed. Buh bye!

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Shooter McGavin 01 wrote:
Mark, welcome to the forum. You will encounter some interesting information here about open carry but, be advised don't rock the boat on this forum or you will be labeled a troll and your thread will be closed. Buh bye!

"The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it"

Omar Khayyam

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Shooter McGavin 01 wrote:

Hey, isn't this TWO acounts you have in violation of the rules? tsk, tsk tsk...