• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another New Guy

Marcus

imported post

Hello,

This is Mark, I live in the Annandale area of Fairfax county. I joined VCDL about 3 years ago and am trying to get more active in it. (Loved the rally against Mr. Bloomberg's extortionin DC last winter)

Most often I carry a Glock 23 IWB sometimes a Kahr MK9. I usually OC during my evening walks in my neighborhood. This place has really changed from when I was a boy that's for sure. I have had the opportunity to travel and work in Europe and Asia and can tell you that they are NOT free there.

Well, I was tired of lurking on this great forum and want to participate. Thanks to the moderators for setting this up.

LEO 229

imported post

Welcome.... It is about time you decided to chime in and be a member.

Hope to see many more posts form you.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Welcome, Mark. Hope to see you at VCDL functions or at one of our OCDO meetups.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Welcome aboard. When my wife and I got married, we lived in Annandale.. in the Wedgewood West apartments. That was a long time ago when everyone in that little enclave spoke English as their first language.

Annandale has indeed changed.. and not for the better. Good to hear you're carrying on your walks.

Oh BYW.. I also have a Glock 23 and a Kahr MK9. Both are superb and 100% reliable.

LEO 229

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Welcome aboard. When my wife and I got married, we lived in Annandale.. in the Wedgewood West apartments. That was a long time ago when everyone in that little enclave spoke English as their first language.

Annandale has indeed changed.. and not for the better. Good to hear you're carrying on your walks.

I lived there too... Wedgewood apartments right off Carmello Drive :D

Nice and quiet spot right off the beltway. Many Hispanics in the area now. Many wait all along 236 in the morning for work.

Many of the stores in Annandale are opening as a Korean establishments. While I was there I watched an entire strip near the post office turn Korean over time.

Annandale is not too bad.. But if you go down towards Baily's Crossroads.... Better be armed! And Culmore too.

Marcus

imported post

Thanks for the welcome.
Nice to know that there is a community out there that I can bounce things off.

In the 60's Annandale was a community mainly made up of gov and military workers. Now you can feel like you are in another country. My girlfriend lives in Purcelleville VA, it is like a different country there.

I get lots of looks from the Latino folks when I am carrying. The Koreans don't seem to notice (or act like they don't)

I see lots more LEO presence in the area now, good to see that Fairfax PD has some Asian and Latino guys on the force patrolling here.

well, I just had my big 50 th birthday, am trying to decide on my present. Springfield XD in 40 or a CZ P01 ( want another SA/DA)

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

I lived there too... Wedgewood apartments right off Carmello Drive :D

Nice and quiet spot right off the beltway. Many Hispanics in the area now. Many wait all along 236 in the morning for work.

Many of the stores in Annandale are opening as a Korean establishments. While I was there I watched an entire strip near the post office turn Korean over time.

Annandale is not too bad.. But if you go down towards Baily's Crossroads.... Better be armed! And Culmore too.

We were on McWhorter Place. I remember Annandale from 1960 and Springfield, too. Use to go with a girl in Springfield so I had to pass through Annandale to get to her.

It is most definitely not the same place it was. When we lived there, it was really a nice place to be. We had a lot of fun there. Sad to see it has gone down hill so much.

As for Bailey's and Culmore.. yep, the pits.

LEO 229

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
We were on McWhorter Place. I remember Annandale from 1960 and Springfield, too. Use to go with a girl in Springfield so I had to pass through Annandale to get to her.

It is most definitely not the same place it was. When we lived there, it was really a nice place to be. We had a lot of fun there. Sad to see it has gone down hill so much.

As for Bailey's and Culmore.. yep, the pits.
Things have really changed since then... I am told that Culmore was whereAsians livedand they moved to Annandale and the Hispanics move in to Culmore. :)

So.. since you were in town so long ago... how many Hispanics did live in the area? It seems that Virginia was a very immigrant friendly state to move into and this has drawn a heavy Hispanic crowd.

Just curious how things were back in the day....

Scheetz

imported post

welcome.. I have been living in Northern Virginia for 21 years now. Its rather sad watching it grow then bring in excess amounts of people along with nasty traffic and bad neighborhoods.

But thats why we keep moving south. I can honestly say I have lived in every county that boarders I-95 from DC down to Prince William.

Tomahawk

imported post

I have lived in NOVA for most of a decade, now (God I feel OLD), and it's always been congested to me, so I guess I'm used to it. Only thing I really hate is the traffic. I like living close to a city and not far from the mountains, but the mountains are no good if a 1.5 hour drive takes 4 hours...

I also like being able to walk around open-carrying in urban places like Rosslyn or Crystal City or Old Town Alex. within sight of those gungrabbers across the river. Difference between a civilized city and an uncivilized one.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
...SNIP
Just curious how things were back in the day....
I can't remember ever meeting anyone when I was growing up who could not speak english very well. I do remember one family who had a heavy Spanish accent, but he was from Spain, and had been Naturalized. There were immigrants in the area, but not really that many, and most were from eastern and western Europe. Asians of any variety were not common, but Koreans were the most common of those here in the suburbs, as late as the mid 1960s. In DC there was a fairly robust Chinese community.

In the early 1970's that started to change with a lot of Vietnamese, who came in with the evacuation of the US at the end of the war. Most settled along the length of Old Dominion drive and Glebe road east (North) of Mclean, and out through what is now Balston. There were also immigrant communities along Wilson Blvd. in Arlington.

Most of the immigrant communities were in Washington DC, and Alexandria, with some in Falls Church, and parkington (now Balston). In those days the import docks in Alexandria were still a very active international trade area. As a result Fairlington was one of the first places to begin to change over to an ethnic immigrant community. Most of the service industry was populated by people who commuted OUT to the suburbs from DC, and they were predominantly Black.

In the early 50's Falls Church was considered to be in the Sticks. Mass transit consisted of bus routes, and a streetcar system in DC itself. You can still see some of the tracks in Georgetown. Ten cents took you anywhere in the city along the street car lines. In the early 60's fairfax City, Oakton, and Vienna were WAY out in the burbs, and well separated by wooded country and farms. WO&D railroad still ran through the center of the area, and bisected Vienna with an at grade crossing.

When they first built the Beltway, it was 2 lanes in each direction. People used to drive all the way around for FUN! It took a little less than 90 min to do the whole loop. For the first few years I don't remember ever seeing traffic actually stopped on the beltway. It would slow down sometimes to around 35-45 but that was as bad as it ever got unless there was a wreck.

The area did not really explode until the Nixon administration. He brought a lot of Californians with him that never left. Before then people came in with an administration, and left when it ended.

When my family moved into the McLean area, it was in the sticks, cheap to buy into, and it was still legal to shoot in your back yard. We moved there because the construction of route 66 took our house in the Oakton area. Next time you go to McLean, drive over to the intersection of Springhill road and Old Dominion Drive. Today there is a community of $1M + town houses kitty corner from the 7-11 there. 40 years ago, that corner was an auto graveyard.

I learned to drive at night, sitting in my Dad's lap, on the Dullus Access road before they opened the airport. At that time there was NOTHING along the entire length of that road. When they built Reston, it was an experimental concept city. Sterling was mostly fields, but it was under construction.. It was in the middle of nowhere, and it took 30 years for civilization to catch up. Great Falls was a tiny rural village with almost nothing but the firehouse and Bucks General store.

Oh yea, All these HOV lanes people keep claiming were built for car pools. Not so. They were originally express lanes, open to all traffic, but reversible to accommodate rush hour. They turned them into carpool lanes in the 1970's during the fuel shortages. Route 66 was supposed to be open to all traffic all the way to the Roosevelt Bridge, but money talked and everyone walks.

Up until about 1972, this was a very nice place to live. It started getting crowded fast around then and it has not stopped since. But it was not until the early 1980's that it started being a handicap trying to get by in my native language of English.

It is all a little different now.

Regards

EDIT: One last thing. I was born here, and grew up with others who ere as well. All those bad drivers you see are NOT born and raised here. Most true locals, are NOT the fanatics you see in traffic every day, and locals DO know how to drive in the snow.

NytoVa

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Bailey's crossroads was better when it was an airport and a drive-in theater. But then Tyson's pasture was better than the Mall too.
I remember riding motocross bikes at Tysons & Reston in the early 70's. Went back for first time in 20+ years. Lot of changes...but Vienna still looked pretty much the same..just busier.

vrwmiller

imported post

Marcus...Welcome to OCDO...sorry for the thread highjack, but Hawkflyer really got me thinking....

I love to hear these stories of what the area looked like back in the day. I moved to Manassas as a child in 1984...At the time we moved to Manassas, Centreville was considered the boonies. Anyone that lived in Manassas, Haymarket, and Gainesville were country folk [ EDIT: To remove seemingly offensive term ]. Sometimes, I like to go to the Library of Congress web site and search out photos and history of Manassas prior to the boom times...before the 60's and 70's.

In doing that research, I found that the the original Manassas Airport existed where present day Iron Gate exists. There was a dairy farm right next door. Present day Godwin Dr. was the first phase of a planned Rt 28 bypass that was to extend from Compton Rd in Centreville to where Godwin now intersects with Rt 28 south of Manassas. Oddly enough, when I learned of this project a number of years ago, even with the development in the area rendering that project obselete, the project to finish the bypass was still open.

Rt 28 North of Centreville was a two lane road all the way to Rt 7. Sterling to Leesburg were vast amounts of fields and farms. Rt. 66 was a four lane highway all the way to the beltway with trees and bushes in the median. A truck weigh station was situated at the existing interchange at the Fairfax County Parkway.

There was a drive-in theater on Rt 28 in Manassas that closed, I believe, the year prior to me coming out here. If memory serves, it was situated where the Brown's Auto Body exists today (the closest drive-in theater I know of nowadays is in Winchester).

Manassas Mall was bout 1/5 it's current size. The main theater in town after the drive-in closed was in the mall. I remember one year when it's roof caved in.

I always loved going to the races on Saturday nights at ODS. I knew people that raced there. ODS has been threatened lately. In 2003, the current owners purchased the land and the speedway. They had intended on selling the property this year, thus making this the last season ODS would operate, but that deal fell through due to the deterioration of the real estate market in the past year or so. I still love to go to ODS...if you live in PW/Manassas and have never gone to ODS...you really need to. ODS is such an ingrained piece of history around here and you need to experience it before they tear the historic landmark down. Do you know that many of the racing legends raced at ODS?

The land where I live now was a farm owned by the Jones family, I believe (Just around the corner from ODS). It has been a while since I researched that.

I remember actually being able to drive the speed limit during the day on Sudley Rd.

I was a firefighter at the Buckhall Fire Dept (Yes, Hawkflyer, I knew Simmons...we named the community hall of the expanded fire dept after him) on, what was then Davis Ford Rd, when Prince William Parkway didn't exist. The only way to get to Dale City/Woodbridge was on one of two main roadways that were only two lane roads, Davis Ford Rd or Rt 234. Rt 234 is now a 4 lane roadway from Rt 66 all the way to I-95 and Davis Ford was replaced with the PW Parkway as the main throughway. If you wanted, there were, and still are, many back ways to get down there.

There was nothing but fields and farms where many throughways are now...Prince William Parkway, Sudley Manor Dr, Wellington Rd., Linton Hall Rd, Bristow Rd.

Wooley

imported post

Welcome Marcus...I like to stir thing up and make jokes that everyone just pretends not to read. You'll see...

VRW, lets go to ODS sometime. I'm tied up with work this weekend but I'm off next Sat night.

Marcus

imported post

It is amazing to see how 30-40 years have changed northern VA.

My dad was in the "foreign service" so we would move overseas and then return to Annadale every few years. He bought the house in 1951. Bradock rd. was 1 lane and when you got out to what is now Burke it was dirt. Annandale had2 movie theaters, some record stores, an Irish pub...

I used to ride my bike with a gang of kids all over, "downtown" Annandale was quiet. Now it is gridlocked with traffic. Some mornings there are about 100 day laborers along the strip there. Part of me feels sorry for them that they have to come up here to earn a living, part of me is angry that my town is so drastically changed.

Legba

imported post

"California... tumbles into the sea... that'll be the day I go back to Annandale..."

-- "My Old School," Steely Dan

It would seem that everyone has thought this place to be in decline for a while now.

-ljp