Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CHP Renewal

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

Well I submitted my renewal 6/8/07. For me this will be the second renewal. We will see if they can still do it in two weeks like the last two times. At least they have the process down now. I was the first to apply in PW when the then new "Shall" issue law went into effect years ago. At every step they had to figure out what to do. They did not even have the final forms yet.

Now is it a cake walk, by comparison.

If they don't get it to me on time I guess I will just have to OC around town until it arrives. Oh my, oh my what shall I do?:celebrate

Regards

Touch the monkey (whatever his name is)
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

I will be submitting for renewal at the end of the calendar year. This will be my first renewal. Will be submitting to the same Circuit Court as you, as well. Let us know when you get it.

Post imported post

If they don't get it to you on time they have to issue a temporary until the actual comes in.
    § 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.
    D.
    ...If the court has not issued the permit or determined that the applicant is disqualified within 45 days of the date of receipt noted on the application, the clerk shall certify on the application that the 45-day period has expired, and send a copy of the certified application to the applicant. The certified application shall serve as a de facto permit, which shall expire 90 days after issuance, and shall be recognized as a valid concealed handgun permit when presented with a valid government-issued photo identification pursuant to subsection H, until the court issues a five-year permit or finds the applicant to be disqualified.
    style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f8"http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+18.2-308

Alexandria (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA

Post imported post

I know yours is a renewal Prince William

This is the timeline for mine recent permit first in Fairfax County

Submitted to Fairfax Courthouse 4 May 2007 day 1
    Criminal background investigation completed 22 May day 19
    Judge signed permit 8 Jun day 36
    Cover letter Clerk Court 14 Jun day 42
    Mailed on 18 Jun day 46
    Arrived in mailbox 20 Jun day 48

I hope your renewal is hell of alot faster. I will dread my Fairfax renewal.

Post imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
    Well I submitted my renewal 6/8/07.
    Hawk,

2 questions:

1) How close to the expiration date of your old permit did you file for the renewal? [EDIT: Call me mister obvious! Ioverlooked the date you mentioned, which I copied in my response. No excuses for bongo!] I was hoping to re-up mine a few weeks before the actual expiration date to ensure no chances of "going without."

2) If you in fact DID submit for renewal for the actual expiration date, did they take the old one from you, or did you keep it?

I know when I renewed my first CHP after a move years ago, they took the old one from me while I waited for the new one with the updated information. It wasn't until later that I learned it was an unnecessary step for me to take.
    The problem with the internet is nobody can really tell when you’re serious and when you’re being sarcastic. –Abraham Lincoln

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

I just did mine two days ago in Manassas. Five years ago, the turnaround time was decent.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
    I just did mine two days ago in Manassas. Five years ago, the turnaround time was decent.
    Last time I did this the turn around was about 2 1/2 weeks. The time before that it was about on month. But I filed this one a week later than I had planned. So there are 38 days from the day I filed until the permit I have expires. If they make it before it expires, great, if not it is really no sweat. Like I said, I can still OC.

Renewals usually take less time because they do not have to run any prints, and the search is an update, not the full blown history search involved in a new application. But we will see.

Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."

Post imported post

dichamw wrote:
    I know yours is a renewal Prince William

This is the timeline for mine recent permit first in Fairfax County

Submitted to Fairfax Courthouse 4 May 2007 day 1
    Criminal background investigation completed 22 May day 19
    Judge signed permit 8 Jun day 36
    Cover letter Clerk Court 14 Jun day 42
    Mailed on 18 Jun day 46
    Arrived in mailbox 20 Jun day 48

I hope your renewal is hell of alot faster. I will dread my Fairfax renewal.
    They gypped you a day... you should sue 'em. > ) I guess they're covered since it was signed on 36 though.
    -Unrequited

Post imported post

unrequited wrote:
    They gypped you a day... you should sue 'em. > ) I guess they're covered since it was signed on 36 though.
    A few words that are no longer politically correct...

Patty Wagon

Nappy Headed

Gypped or Gypsy

Post imported post

Wow, I had no clue. I feel like a bad person now.
    -Unrequited

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    unrequited wrote:

Patty Wagon

Nappy Headed

Gypped or Gypsy
    its "paddywagon" not patty wagon(that would be a sh!t hauler). Plusus Irish don't believe in political correctness, if we're offended we'll just take another pull from our guiness and tell "ya ta go fu(k yaself".

Post imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    unrequited wrote:

Patty Wagon

Nappy Headed

Gypped or Gypsy
    its "paddywagon" not patty wagon(that would be a sh!t hauler). Plusus Irish don't believe in political correctness, if we're offended we'll just take another pull from our guiness and tell "ya ta go fu(k yaself".
    Paddy.. How about that!!!

You can see how often I use that word in text form....

Now get in the back your drunken Irish fool!

Post imported post

It is never easybeing a Mick. But, I suppose it is a badgeof honorthat we have a piece of police equipment named after us. Though, I believe it was named that not because the Irish were more prone to be criminals, rather because there were so many Irish police officers.

Post imported post

I just hate the fact that you have to disarm to get a CHPbecause they make you apply in a court house. What a crock! Send the damn clerk out to me if you do not want my gun in there!!

Well the renewal will be in less then a year (I should check I guess), but where are I renewed in PWC I will now be renewing in Stafford as I moved here three years ago.

The twist is I am not going to use my permit and renew. I will put it in as an initial application and use my proof of training that I got 10 years ago. I just want to see if they give me any crap.

I really think we, as the ones that have some understanding of the process,should make our applications with every thing that is within the law, but others have been turned down for. Examples being old training, one copy of the application, no SSN provided, and no SASE.

If just a few of us did this in every county there would no longer be an issue.:quirky

Post imported post

ChinChin wrote:
    I was hoping to re-up mine a few weeks before the actual expiration date to ensure no chances of "going without."

That is why I always recommend folks have 2. One from their home state and one from any other state with good acceptance elsewhere. Utah and Florida seem to be the best with Utah fast becomming the national standard.

Post imported post

I did not provide my SS# when I applied here in PW County. I was also able to pick my application up too.

Post imported post

They did not take my SSN either. They request a copy of the old CHP for the renewal, and this is used in place of the training certification. In effect they allow you to use your original certification, so I don't quite understand the issue about using the 10 year old certificate in place of the old CHP copy. They are interchangeable.

Regards

Post imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
    They did not take my SSN either. They request a copy of the old CHP for the renewal, and this is used in place of the training certification. In effect they allow you to use your original certification, so I don't quite understand the issue about using the 10 year old certificate in place of the old CHP copy. They are interchangeable.

Regards
    Some places will try to not accept training that is older (1 yr, 5 yr, etc) when under VA law, there is no expiration date on training.

You can even used an expired permit if you have one. The law does not say that a 'previously held permit of the Commonwealth' has to be un-expired to be valid as a proof of training.

Founder's Club Member OC-Glock19's Avatar

Post imported post

pourshot wrote:
    Some places will try to not accept training that is older (1 yr, 5 yr, etc) when under VA law, there is no expiration date on training.
    When I got my first concealed handgun permit in PWC about 8 or 9 years agoit was denied by the judge because he didn't think that my training was recent enough. (It was a hunter training certificate from another state and it was about 15 years old.) I didn't know any better then so I took a Virginia concealed handgun class at Shooter's Paradise so I could qualify (in the judge's eyes) for the permit.

Post imported post

Refresher training every decade or so can't hurt. While I am happy it is not mandatory, the legal landscape changes often enough that a catchup class helps. Besides, you get to shoot a little.

Regards

Post imported post

Well, The CHP arrived in the mail today. Total time from application to renew, to arrival of the permit, 41 days. Now where did I put that lamination stuff.

Regards

Post imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
    Well, The CHP arrived in the mail today. Total time from application to renew, to arrival of the permit, 41 days. Now where did I put that lamination stuff.

Regards
    Just got my renewal today, too. Took 29 days from application submittal to reception in the mail.

I also have to get some lamination cards. I must have used the last of the lot I had 5 years ago with my previous renewal.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
    Just got my renewal today, too. Took 29 days from application submittal to reception in the mail.

I also have to get some lamination cards. I must have used the last of the lot I had 5 years ago with my previous renewal.
    Twenty-nine days versus forty-one. Good for you. Younger people have less records to check. Certain people have so much history behind them that it takes a while to review it all.

(Now, where is the rest of my list of people who were making wise-cracks about my suggested name for the OCDO monkey?)
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    SouthernBoy wrote:

Twenty-nine days versus forty-one. Good for you. Younger people have less records to check. Certain people have so much history behind them that it takes a while to review it all.

(Now, where is the rest of my list of people who were making wise-cracks about my suggested name for the OCDO monkey?)
    I'm sorry, but I can't resist asking. What makes you think I am younger than Hawkflyer?

Just curious.

America First!

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
    Citizen wrote:
    SouthernBoy wrote:

I'm sorry, but I can't resist asking. What makes you think I am younger than Hawkflyer?

Just curious.

That's the beauty of it. You see, it really doesn't matter how old you are. It only matters that I can spin it to make Hawkflyer seem older than he is.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast