• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CHP Renewal

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well I submitted my renewal 6/8/07. For me this will be the second renewal. We will see if they can still do it in two weeks like the last two times. At least they have the process down now. I was the first to apply in PW when the then new "Shall" issue law went into effect years ago. At every step they had to figure out what to do. They did not even have the final forms yet.

Now is it a cake walk, by comparison.

If they don't get it to me on time I guess I will just have to OC around town until it arrives. :lol: Oh my, oh my what shall I do?:celebrate

Regards

:monkey Touch the monkey (whatever his name is)

vrwmiller

imported post

I will be submitting for renewal at the end of the calendar year. This will be my first renewal. Will be submitting to the same Circuit Court as you, as well. Let us know when you get it.

Tomahawk

imported post

If they don't get it to you on time they have to issue a temporary until the actual comes in.
§ 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.
D.
...If the court has not issued the permit or determined that the applicant is disqualified within 45 days of the date of receipt noted on the application, the clerk shall certify on the application that the 45-day period has expired, and send a copy of the certified application to the applicant. The certified application shall serve as a de facto permit, which shall expire 90 days after issuance, and shall be recognized as a valid concealed handgun permit when presented with a valid government-issued photo identification pursuant to subsection H, until the court issues a five-year permit or finds the applicant to be disqualified.
style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f8"http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

dichamw

Alexandria (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA
imported post

I know yours is a renewal Prince William

This is the timeline for mine recent permit first in Fairfax County

Submitted to Fairfax Courthouse 4 May 2007 day 1
Criminal background investigation completed 22 May day 19
Judge signed permit 8 Jun day 36
Cover letter Clerk Court 14 Jun day 42
Mailed on 18 Jun day 46
Arrived in mailbox 20 Jun day 48

I hope your renewal is hell of alot faster. I will dread my Fairfax renewal.

ChinChin

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Well I submitted my renewal 6/8/07.
Hawk,

2 questions:

1) How close to the expiration date of your old permit did you file for the renewal? [EDIT: Call me mister obvious! Ioverlooked the date you mentioned, which I copied in my response. No excuses for bongo!] I was hoping to re-up mine a few weeks before the actual expiration date to ensure no chances of "going without."

2) If you in fact DID submit for renewal for the actual expiration date, did they take the old one from you, or did you keep it?

I know when I renewed my first CHP after a move years ago, they took the old one from me while I waited for the new one with the updated information. It wasn't until later that I learned it was an unnecessary step for me to take.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
I just did mine two days ago in Manassas. Five years ago, the turnaround time was decent.

Last time I did this the turn around was about 2 1/2 weeks. The time before that it was about on month. But I filed this one a week later than I had planned. So there are 38 days from the day I filed until the permit I have expires. If they make it before it expires, great, if not it is really no sweat. Like I said, I can still OC.

Renewals usually take less time because they do not have to run any prints, and the search is an update, not the full blown history search involved in a new application. But we will see.

Regards

unrequited

imported post

dichamw wrote:
I know yours is a renewal Prince William

This is the timeline for mine recent permit first in Fairfax County

Submitted to Fairfax Courthouse 4 May 2007 day 1
Criminal background investigation completed 22 May day 19
Judge signed permit 8 Jun day 36
Cover letter Clerk Court 14 Jun day 42
Mailed on 18 Jun day 46
Arrived in mailbox 20 Jun day 48

I hope your renewal is hell of alot faster. I will dread my Fairfax renewal.
They gypped you a day... you should sue 'em. > ) I guess they're covered since it was signed on 36 though.

LEO 229

imported post

unrequited wrote:
They gypped you a day... you should sue 'em. > ) I guess they're covered since it was signed on 36 though.

A few words that are no longer politically correct...

Patty Wagon

Nappy Headed

Gypped or Gypsy

67GT390FB

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
unrequited wrote:

Patty Wagon

Nappy Headed

Gypped or Gypsy
its "paddywagon" not patty wagon(that would be a sh!t hauler). Plusus Irish don't believe in political correctness, if we're offended we'll just take another pull from our guiness and tell "ya ta go fu(k yaself".

LEO 229

imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
unrequited wrote:

Patty Wagon

Nappy Headed

Gypped or Gypsy
its "paddywagon" not patty wagon(that would be a sh!t hauler). Plusus Irish don't believe in political correctness, if we're offended we'll just take another pull from our guiness and tell "ya ta go fu(k yaself".

Paddy.. How about that!!! ;)

You can see how often I use that word in text form....

Now get in the back your drunken Irish fool!

rebfan

imported post

It is never easybeing a Mick. But, I suppose it is a badgeof honorthat we have a piece of police equipment named after us. Though, I believe it was named that not because the Irish were more prone to be criminals, rather because there were so many Irish police officers.

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I just hate the fact that you have to disarm to get a CHPbecause they make you apply in a court house. What a crock! :banghead:Send the damn clerk out to me if you do not want my gun in there!!:cuss:

Well the renewal will be in less then a year (I should check I guess), but where are I renewed in PWC I will now be renewing in Stafford as I moved here three years ago.

:idea:The twist is I am not going to use my permit and renew. I will put it in as an initial application and use my proof of training that I got 10 years ago. I just want to see if they give me any crap.

I really think we, as the ones that have some understanding of the process,should make our applications with every thing that is within the law, but others have been turned down for. Examples being old training, one copy of the application, no SSN provided, and no SASE.

If just a few of us did this in every county there would no longer be an issue.:quirky

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ChinChin wrote:
I was hoping to re-up mine a few weeks before the actual expiration date to ensure no chances of "going without."

That is why I always recommend folks have 2. One from their home state and one from any other state with good acceptance elsewhere. Utah and Florida seem to be the best with Utah fast becomming the national standard.

rebfan

imported post

I did not provide my SS# when I applied here in PW County. I was also able to pick my application up too.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

They did not take my SSN either. They request a copy of the old CHP for the renewal, and this is used in place of the training certification. In effect they allow you to use your original certification, so I don't quite understand the issue about using the 10 year old certificate in place of the old CHP copy. They are interchangeable.

Regards

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
They did not take my SSN either. They request a copy of the old CHP for the renewal, and this is used in place of the training certification. In effect they allow you to use your original certification, so I don't quite understand the issue about using the 10 year old certificate in place of the old CHP copy. They are interchangeable.

Regards

Some places will try to not accept training that is older (1 yr, 5 yr, etc) when under VA law, there is no expiration date on training.

You can even used an expired permit if you have one. The law does not say that a 'previously held permit of the Commonwealth' has to be un-expired to be valid as a proof of training.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

pourshot wrote:
Some places will try to not accept training that is older (1 yr, 5 yr, etc) when under VA law, there is no expiration date on training.
When I got my first concealed handgun permit in PWC about 8 or 9 years agoit was denied by the judge because he didn't think that my training was recent enough. (It was a hunter training certificate from another state and it was about 15 years old.) I didn't know any better then so I took a Virginia concealed handgun class at Shooter's Paradise so I could qualify (in the judge's eyes) for the permit.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Refresher training every decade or so can't hurt. While I am happy it is not mandatory, the legal landscape changes often enough that a catchup class helps. Besides, you get to shoot a little.

Regards