• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help me pick a 9mm for the range!

PAPACHUCK

imported post

Hey ya'll, I need some help picking out a 9mm for range and general "fun" use. I have a tight budget and want to keep it under 300 bucks. I want a SA/DA action with at least a 4" barrel and good sights. I'm OK with buying a used piece.

So far I've considered the following;

S&W 59,69 series

S&W Sigma series

Ruger P series

Taurus/Beretta 92 series

CZ 75,85 series

Any more?

molonlabetn

imported post

PAPACHUCK wrote:
Hey ya'll, I need some help picking out a 9mm for range and general "fun" use. I have a tight budget and want to keep it under 300 bucks. I want a SA/DA action with at least a 4" barrel and good sights. I'm OK with buying a used piece.

S&W 59,69 series

S&W Sigma series

Ruger P series

Taurus/Beretta 92 series

CZ 75,85 series

Any more?

Browning High Power

Springfield XD-9 Tactical

S&W M&P-9

Glock 34

Sig P226

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

Glock 34 makes a great precision handgun with open sight... and great carry gun as well.
Sig 226, nice single action trigger!
Springfield XD 9mm... similar to the Glock 34, different grip angle

all make great range AND carry guns.

Mjolnir

imported post

If you want to keep it under $300 then you will be hard pressed to find a quality 9mm new in box. Heck, the Sig 226 mentioned is at least 2.5 times that NIB & when ya can find em used and in good shape they are still around $600 if not more.

Best thing to do is check out gun shops & gun shows in your area, play with the pistols & get a feel for what fit's you best & what has a natural point of aim & index the cleanest for you.

Then start shopping around on line & in your area & see what you find.

I've got a Sig P229 in a CTAC holster on right now and love the 229, but brand new this pistol can run anywhere between $700-$800 & used not much less than $600 if you are lucky & happen to find one.

I'd think about start saving some $$ every payday & slowly build up the "gun fund" till you can afford a quality weapon. It took me about 2 years to save enough to have my 1911 customized, but it was well worth the time it took.

PAPACHUCK

imported post

Thanks for the responses so far guys. Most of the offerings here have been much more than I wanted to spend. I know I could save more and get a more quality piece, but that isn't the point. I own a Glock, a XD, a couple of Tauri, a couple of Smiths, etc., but at this time, I want an inexpensive range piece that's just for fun. Unless someone out there finds a Sig for less than 3 bills!

Keep 'em coming! Input, input, input......I need input!;)

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

if you already have a glock, xd taurus etc, then why do you need another specifically dedicated for the range? just use the glock or xd, it's not like you're goin to use them up!

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

$300 bucks will get you a NEW Sigma plus a 100 rnds of ammo.....I know some people don't think much of the Sigma but, I haven't had a single issue with the 2 that I own....with thousands of rounds through them.

PAPACHUCK

imported post

IdahoCorsair wrote:
if you already have a glock, xd taurus etc, then why do you need another specifically dedicated for the range? just use the glock or xd, it's not like you're goin to use them up!

The purpose of this is to start shooting 9mm more and 40 & 45's less due to ammo prices. Last time me and my sons went to the range, they both shoot 9mm's and I don't so my ammo cost was a lot higher than theirs.

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

not to be a training snob, but the more guns (different brands, grip angles, etc) you have and the more you practice with the ones that you don't carry, the less capable you will be with your carry piece.

Honestly, i use my Glock 17 and 19 as plinking pieces as well as for daily carry. If you're looking for a "plinking" 9mm, then use what you have if cost is an issue... you'll just get better and better with it.

PAPACHUCK

imported post

IdahoCorsair wrote:
not to be a training snob, but the more guns (different brands, grip angles, etc) you have and the more you practice with the ones that you don't carry, the less capable you will be with your carry piece.

Honestly, i use my Glock 17 and 19 as plinking pieces as well as for daily carry. If you're looking for a "plinking" 9mm, then use what you have if cost is an issue... you'll just get better and better with it.
Every time I go to the range, I bring and shoot my usual carry piece(s). Yes,shooting many different guns well can be daunting task to say the least, but I'm trying!

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

IdahoCorsair wrote:
not to be a training snob, but the more guns (different brands, grip angles, etc) you have and the more you practice with the ones that you don't carry, the less capable you will be with your carry piece
This opinion is completely contrary to ALL PROFESSIONAL training techiques..........
While Navy Seals, Army Rangers, etc train more with their daily duty weapons, they train extensively with other weapons as well.
Learning to shoot is learning to shoot....not learning to shoot one weapon. I agree that practicing with one weapon will make one more proficient with that one weapon....will that help you if that one weapon is not at hand/not functional?
You need to "know" all the weapons that you have available/access to....THAT will make you MORE capable, not less.

PAPACHUCK

imported post

Comp-tech wrote:
IdahoCorsair wrote:
not to be a training snob, but the more guns (different brands, grip angles, etc) you have and the more you practice with the ones that you don't carry, the less capable you will be with your carry piece
This opinion is completely contrary to ALL PROFESSIONAL training techiques..........
While Navy Seals, Army Rangers, etc train more with their daily duty weapons, they train extensively with other weapons as well.
Learning to shoot is learning to shoot....not learning to shoot one weapon. I agree that practicing with one weapon will make one more proficient with that one weapon....will that help you if that one weapon is not at hand/not functional?
You need to "know" all the weapons that you have available/access to....THAT will make you MORE capable, not less.
Yeah, what he said!!:cool:

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

Comp-tech... I don't think we really disagree at all...:p I don't see how you could disagree with ANY part of my comment, thus I might not be clear in what I intended to say. I didn't say don't train with other guns, I just said that the more you train with secondary guns, the less competent you'll be with primaries than you could be. Particularly when we're talking Glock v. Taurs v. XD triggers!!!
my comment was a general statement intended to convey the idea that if you train with 30 handguns you'll know how to operate all of them, but won't have the mastery of any. (likely the case, though there are exceptions) Train with your primary 80% of the time or more and be familiar with your 'backup' or other handguns as well... but don't sink unnecessary time into something that you'll use 10% of the time.

I agree that you should be familiar with as many weapon platforms as possible, but that said, we mostly live our lives on statistics... we don't carry 5 mags, or wear body armor everywhere. (ok, maybe some of us on here do, but most don't) Our lives rarely ever involve shooting more than 2-3 rounds in self-defense... thus planning accordingly is a good idea... the guy is obviously concerned about $$$, and as such I'll make the reasonable assumption that he doesn't have 1000s of rounds to shoot out of each gun to become subconsiously competent with all of them.

Any way, more power to him and others with multiple guns... !!!

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

PAPACHUCK wrote:

S&W 59,69 series

S&W Sigma series

Ruger P series

Taurus/Beretta 92 series

CZ 75,85 series

Any more?
I purhcased a S&W Sigma for 300 brand new at a gun show, I have had great luck with it, no jams or hiccups and have about 400-500 rounds through it now.

Buying a used firearm you could probably pick up most of these on your list for 300, but I like knowing that I am the first person to fire it and what type of abuse it has been put through.

The only think I was upset about is that the Sigma series does not accept +P ammunition, but that is my fault for not researching it before I bought it.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

IdahoCorsair wrote:
Comp-tech... I don't think we really disagree at all...:p I don't see how you could disagree with ANY part of my comment, thus I might not be clear in what I intended to say. I didn't say don't train with other guns, I just said that the more you train with secondary guns, the less competent you'll be with primaries than you could be. Particularly when we're talking Glock v. Taurs v. XD triggers!!!
my comment was a general statement intended to convey the idea that if you train with 30 handguns you'll know how to operate all of them, but won't have the mastery of any. (likely the case, though there are exceptions) Train with your primary 80% of the time or more and be familiar with your 'backup' or other handguns as well... but don't sink unnecessary time into something that you'll use 10% of the time.

I agree that you should be familiar with as many weapon platforms as possible, but that said, we mostly live our lives on statistics... we don't carry 5 mags, or wear body armor everywhere. (ok, maybe some of us on here do, but most don't) Our lives rarely ever involve shooting more than 2-3 rounds in self-defense... thus planning accordingly is a good idea... the guy is obviously concerned about $$$, and as such I'll make the reasonable assumption that he doesn't have 1000s of rounds to shoot out of each gun to become subconsiously competent with all of them.
My dis-agreement was with "the more guns (different brands, grip angles, etc) you have and the more you practice with the ones that you don't carry, the less capable you will be with your carry piece"
Stating that practicing with more guns can make you less capable with your "carry piece" is rediculous......(can't do anything but make you a better shot in general)......unless you mean practicing with other guns INSTEAD of your "carry piece"....which isn't what your comment was.
Sorry for the mis-understanding............

Drewesque

imported post

IdahoCorsair wrote:

Any way, more power to him and others with multiple guns... !!!

The largest part of shooting is not specific to any specific gun. The most important thing is general competency. If you'd like to make the argument that a person will cut out their carry piece when shooting multiple guns, do it, but don't claim that familiarity with various guns will make you forgetyour carry piece.And don't forget thatsome peoplehave different guns for different occasions. After all, a little Kel-Tec .380 might be great for discretion, but theXD isa better piece for when you can conceal it without worrying about it,that 1911 is the dressier open carry piece, and that revolver is great for out in the woods.

If you train with 30 handguns, you'll likely have a pretty good mastery over general shooting techniques, and you'll be able to use them all competently. If you want to bring the statistics into this, you should also remember the range at which most defensive shootings take place. Even someone with limited familiarity with general shooting practices will have a pretty fair chance of hitting a human-sized target.

If nothingelse, training with multiple handguns keeps a person from getting bored (and thus training less), provides familiarity with weapons that may need to be substituted should the main carry piece be out of commission forwhatever reason, and allows for a more adaptive shooter.

PAPACHUCK

imported post

OK, I went and did it. I went to the range yesterday and picked out my new friend.

Unfortunately, I still need a 9mm range gun.:?

After being in the show for a max of 3 minutes, I saw it and bought it.:cool:

Now, I feel like him>:celebrate

PAPACHUCK

imported post

Say Hello to my little friend!

IMG_0259.jpg

Russian Saiga in .308/7.62x51 Me likey!!:lol:

Now, where were we? Something about a CZ75 or Hi-Power or.............