• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

There are many logs, but this one is mine...

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Former Marine kills bear with log. Who needs a gun in the woods?
http://www.accessnorthga.com/news/hall/newfullstory.asp?ID=115127

Ex-Marine Kills Bear With Log
by The Associated Press

HELEN - A camping trip to Low Gap Camp Grounds near Helen turned into a harrowing experience for Chris Everhart and his three sons when they tangled with a 300-pound black bear.

But it proved fatal for the bear.

The bear had taken the Everharts' cooler and was heading back to the woods when 6-year-old Logan hurled a shovel at it.

Fearing what might happen next, the Norcross father and ex-Marine grabbed the closest thing he could find _ a log.

"(I) threw it at it and it happened to hit the bear in the head," Chris Everhart said. "I thought it just knocked it out but it actually ended up killing the bear."

The man was given a ticket for failing to secure his camp site, said Ken Riddleberger, a region supervisor for game management with the Georgia Department of Natural Resources.

Riddleberger said some U.S. Forest Service agents were at the camp issuing a citation in an unrelated case. They got to the scene in a few minutes and verified what happened, he said.

Riddleberger said fines are usually set by counties, but Everhart's will be set by the federal government since the incident happened on federal property.

"We've not had an attack in Georgia," he said. "The key thing to learn from this is if there's a bear around, do not have your garbage or food available. If we manage our food, we won't have bears around."

©Copyright 2007 AccessNorthGa.com / WDUN News/Talk 550.
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.

Tomahawk

imported post

longwatch wrote:

The man was given a ticket for failing to secure his camp site, said Ken Riddleberger, a region supervisor for game management with the Georgia Department of Natural Resources.

"We've not had an attack in Georgia," he said. "The key thing to learn from this is if there's a bear around, do not have your garbage or food available. If we manage our food, we won't have bears around."

Great story.

But what A-holes the rangers are. Exactly how are you supposed to "secure" your campsite from bears? Set up wire around your pos with interlocking fields of fire? That'd work.

Besides, that Marine did secure his campsite. Using a log to get some.

tarzan1888

imported post

longwatch wrote:
"The key thing to learn from this is if there's a bear around, do not have your garbage or food available....."

This is brilliant. :banghead:

When are we supposed to eat?

It doesn't matter how fast you eat and then clean up your camp. There will always be some amount of time when you have garbage out and food available. :cuss:

So if we go camping and they post that a bear has been seen in the general area, we can't eat? :banghead:

To theMarine, (Once a Marine, always a Marine) great Job. :cool:

Next time. Try one of these;

Attachments

• my guns.jpg
    my guns.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 372

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Actually, the number of places that require you to secure your food and garbage from bears is increasing. It is a violation NOT predicated on actually have a bear show up.

This is supposed to protect the bears by teaching them that there is no food in campsites. This of course protects them from Former Marines with logs. In my experience Marines are a bit like bears, really quite nice, but don't mess with their young. This bear obviously screwed up.

Most outing goods stores now sell "Bear proof" containers. The old "tie it in a tree" bear bag we all used years ago in bear country is no longer sufficient. Where requirements exist, you are required to have the food supplies in an air tight container. Then you are supposed to put the container AT LEAST 100 years away from your campsite. These containers are also supposed to be good for use as camp stools or short tables.

So I have this picture of a guy sitting on his food jug, 100 yards from his tent, watching a bear tear up his campsite looking for the soft chewy center of his sleeping bag.

Regards

Tomahawk

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Actually, the number of places that require you to secure your food and garbage from bears is increasing. It is a violation NOT predicated on actually have a bear show up.

This is supposed to protect the bears by teaching them that there is no food in campsites. This of course protects them from Former Marines with logs. In my experience Marines are a bit like bears, really quite nice, but don't mess with their young. This bear obviously screwed up.

Most outing goods stores now sell "Bear proof" containers. The old "tie it in a tree" bear bag we all used years ago in bear country is no longer sufficient. Where requirements exist, you are required to have the food supplies in an air tight container. Then you are supposed to put the container AT LEAST 100 years away from your campsite. These containers are also supposed to be good for use as camp stools or short tables.

So I have this picture of a guy sitting on his food jug, 100 yards from his tent, watching a bear tear up his campsite looking for the soft chewy center of his sleeping bag.

Regards
Man, does the BS ever stop in this damn country?The nanny state even wants to ruin camping.Requiring people to buy all kinds of special gear to protect the bears? Ticketing people because a bear steals food is like ticketing you because you didn't arc weld your radio to your dashboard and somebody smashed the car window and stole it.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
...SNIP
Man, does the BS ever stop in this damn country? The nanny state even wants to ruin camping. Requiring people to buy all kinds of special gear to protect the bears? Ticketing people because a bear steals food is like ticketing you because you didn't arc weld your radio to your dashboard and somebody smashed the car window and stole it.

LOL. Good example. I actually have one of these things (required for my trip to NM National Park). If I get to the picnic tomorrow I'll bring it so you can have a look. The damn thing is CERTIFIED bear proof.:lol:

Regards

para_org

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
...SNIP
Man, does the BS ever stop in this damn country?The nanny state even wants to ruin camping.Requiring people to buy all kinds of special gear to protect the bears? Ticketing people because a bear steals food is like ticketing you because you didn't arc weld your radio to your dashboard and somebody smashed the car window and stole it.

LOL. Good example. I actually have one of these things (required for my trip to NM National Park). If I get to the picnic tomorrow I'll bring it so you can have a look. The damn thing is CERTIFIED bear proof.:lol:

Regards
I am going to be in a NM Natl. Park tommorrow. The gun will have to stay in the car because it is not the Natl. Forest, but a Natl. Park. Odd thing is that a plane crashed near there the other day and the rescuers couldn't get to it because of the bears.

My next door neighbor told me tonight to carry my gun anyways.

Fortunately, in NM having the gun nearby in the car is considered the same as your home, i..e YOUR sovereign "castle".

Lew

imported post

Well, this ruins all the discussion on "bear loads."

And why are the darn Marines always in the news being badasses? Other services are tough too! :uhoh:

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Hey nobody commented on the best part, the 6 year old hardcharger throwing a shovel at the bear. Anybody think the Marine gave his kid an E-tool?

Tomahawk

imported post

Mission of the Marine picnic squad: To locate, close with, and destroy any picnic basket-stealing bears by fire and maneuver, or to defend the picnic food by fire and close combat.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

longwatch wrote:
Hey nobody commented on the best part, the 6 year old hardcharger throwing a shovel at the bear.  Anybody think the Marine gave his kid an E-tool?

While the Marines I see every day seem very young, perhaps the Corps should consider lowering their age requirements for "pre-trained" recruits like this young man.

After all, if he can take on a bear with a shovel at age 6, imagine what he could do with a rifle.:what:

Regards

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

para_org wrote:
...SNIP
I am going to be in a NM Natl. Park tommorrow. The gun will have to stay in the car because it is not the Natl. Forest, but a Natl. Park. Odd thing is that a plane crashed near there the other day and the rescuers couldn't get to it because of the bears.

Fortunately, in NM having the gun nearby in the car is considered the same as your home, i..e YOUR sovereign "castle".

Which park? I was actually down there to look for a missing plane in the Lincoln Nat Forest / Guadeloupe Mt. Nat. Park. It went missing 2/28, and is still out there someplace.

That southern NM line from Elpaso to Pecos Texas panhandle area is kind of a devils triangle for aircraft. They fly into the area and never come out the other side, and the radar coverage is very poor there.

Regards

VAopencarry

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Then you are supposed to put the container AT LEAST 100 years away from your campsite. These containers are also supposed to be good for use as camp stools or short tables.
COOL!!!! Does the campground provide the time travel machine?

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
Then you are supposed to put the container AT LEAST 100 years away from your campsite. These containers are also supposed to be good for use as camp stools or short tables.
COOL!!!! Does the campground provide the time travel machine?

Obviously YARDS was the word I was searching for. Nice catch.:lol:

Thats the problem with spell checkers, they just won't find it if it is a legitimate word, but in the wrong place.:what:

Regards

para_org

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
para_org wrote:
...SNIP

Which park? I was actually down there to look for a missing plane in the Lincoln Nat Forest / Guadeloupe Mt. Nat. Park. It went missing 2/28, and is still out there someplace.

That southern NM line from Elpaso to Pecos Texas panhandle area is kind of a devils triangle for aircraft. They fly into the area and never come out the other side, and the radar coverage is very poor there.

Regards
The plane went down MUCH more recently than the one you are referring to.

Um, as it turns out, it was the natl. forest I was at today, so it was o.k to open-carry.