• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Unicorn Sighting!

vrwmiller

imported post

Be on the lookout for a unicorn in the Sterling/Leesburg/Berryville areas for a unicorn. Said unicorn was spotted OC'ing in a brick-over pizzaria called Emelio's on Shaw Rd in Sterling, VA. The unicorn was spotted dining with his family.

Upon further investigation, it was determined that the unicorn owns a contracting business and is a member of multiple pro-rights groups, including VCDL, GOA, NRA, and others. Though said unicorn admits to being computer and internet illiterate, his wife researches and prints out all necessary articles for the unicorns consumption.

We exchanged contact information for future shooting/socializing and encouraged him to attend a fwe VCDL meetings and OCDO events.

:celebrate

vrwmiller

imported post

VCDL members should qualify because not all VCDL members are on OCDO. I've met many VCDL members that did not read or post to OCDO. Not mention, this guy had never been to a VCDL meeting nor does he post to any 2A forums on the internet.

One would expect most OC'ers to be a member of some pro-rights group at least.

Tomahawk

imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
One would expect most OC'ers to be a member of some pro-rights group at least.
Around NOVA, maybe. But I've spoken to some older fellers from out in the mountains who said they carried open or concealed their whole lives and never even knew that CC was ever illegal. I remember one older guy from way out there somewhere, Roanoke maybe, who managed to make it to Annandale for a meeting and he told us that where he lived his whole life noone paid any attention to anti-gun laws, because the local sherrif knew everyone anyway. So while NOVA is the heart of Virginia gun rights activism, I think you may be more likely to spot a pure unicorn out in the country somewhere, where folks are less likely to feel like they need to be activists.

vrwmiller

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Around NOVA, maybe. But I've spoken to some older fellers from out in the mountains who said they carried open or concealed their whole lives and never even knew that CC was ever illegal. I remember one older guy from way out there somewhere, Roanoke maybe, who managed to make it to Annandale for a meeting and he told us that where he lived his whole life noone paid any attention to anti-gun laws, because the local sherrif knew everyone anyway. So while NOVA is the heart of Virginia gun rights activism, I think you may be more likely to spot a pure unicorn out in the country somewhere, where folks are less likely to feel like they need to be activists.
Doesn't Berryville fit into this definition? ;)

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The first time I ever saw anyhone OC in VA was almost 20 years ago, when on a trip to the western part of the state. We were at a little gas station/general store up in the mountains (somewhere near Christiansburg?) and a guy got out of his pickup to get gas. He was carrying a single-action revolver in a western rig. Christian Trejbal would have needed a change of shorts I guess, :shock: but no one there paid it any mind, and my wife and I just realized that's how folks do (did?) it out there. I explained it to my kids and they understood.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

OC was not uncommon in NOVA until the mid 1960's when the area started to become more urban. By 1970 you could not find anyone around here OCing, but it was still common west of the first ridgeline, and over in the valley, as well as a lot of places downstate.

I would agree that Berryville was one of those places a few years back, but it is really kind of yuppyville these days.

Regards

LEO 229

imported post

I was sitting down at a table eating lunch in uniform...

You were walking towards your table and I spotted you were armed with a wheel gun.

You looked in my direction and our eyes met.. We nodded at each other and gave salutations.

I thought to myself... Is this Citizen???

Attachments

• OC Guy.jpg
    OC Guy.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 239

KodiakISGOOD

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

You were walking towards your table and I spotted you were armed with a wheel gun.

You looked in my direction and our eyes met.. We nodded at each other and gave salutations.

where is the red tag blowout sale?

Tomahawk

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

This sounds like a "missed connection" from craigslist.org.

LEO 229

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

This sounds like a "missed connection" from craigslist.org.
Ha!!

I talked to the guy for a few minutes. He was from out-of-state... 80 years old too!!

Nice 'ol dude.

LEO 229

imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
...I talked to the guy for a few minutes. He was from out-of-state... 80 years old too!!

Did you ask him for ID?
:lol:
I tried to work it in the conversation... but when he declined my request to run the SN of his gun or permit me to disarm him.. I figured I would not be getting his ID either. :D

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

LEO229 has spotted a textbook definition unicorn, with proof even.
Edit to add: Definitely not someone I recognize from here or VCDL.